Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Eastern Sierra Trip Report 12-2011
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 02:02 PM
Eastern Sierra Trip Report 12-2011

OK, here it goes. Left my house on Saturday morning, 12-24 to Lone Pine, CA and returned home Christmas day via the loop through Panamint Springs, CA (Western side of Death Valley). Beautiful trip. Here are my photos... (please excuse my dirty lens)

Mount Whitney!

Manzanar

Please excuse my dirty lens

Barracks (reproduced) at Manzanar

Just had to get on a DIRT road!

Looking East

Lone Pine street

Lone Pine side Street

Luke and I had beers here

Luke in the bar (Jakes Saloon - great people)

Dow Villa Motel... recommended

Entering Alabama Hills, over 300 western movies filmed here and TV shows, like Bonanza and Roy Rogers, etc.

Alabama Hills

On the way to Panamint Springs loop

Looking back at the Mount Whitney range

Owens Lake

Lunch at Panamint Springs Resort

Buy gas BEFORE you get there

Looking back at Panamint Valley

The End

[Edited on 12-26-2011 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 03:05 PM

WOW that was fast... really cool trip shots ... thanks... loved the dog...

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 03:13 PM

That just makes me want to take a road trip right now! Love that area, such beauty. Great pics and nice dog. Thanks for the post and pics.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 03:27 PM

That was fabulous Bob!! One of the very best parts of California and nicely photographed!!

PS what's your current cigar recommendation?

carpe diem!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 03:37 PM

Thank you Bob! It is like being back there again.

Now, who wants to bet that Bob returns to that area for more and more exploration?? Not sure it is a place that can be visited too many times.

BTW---Luke is beautiful.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
That was fabulous Bob!! One of the very best parts of California and nicely photographed!!

Thanks Ken... I need to get my lens cleaned, or the body, don't know where those 'dots' are coming from. It drives me nuts.

As for a cigar: One of my favorites is the Patron 1926 Serie cigar, can't go wrong there.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Thank you Bob! It is like being back there again.

Now, who wants to bet that Bob returns to that area for more and more exploration?? Not sure it is a place that can be visited too many times.

BTW---Luke is beautiful.

Luke was a total HIT with anyone who met him. He was invited back to Jakes Saloon if I came back, and I did! He is adorable and a loving dog!

Thank you!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
OK, here it goes. Left my house on Saturday morning, 12-24 to Lone Pine, CA and returned home Christmas day via the loop through Panamint Springs, CA (Western side of Death Valley). Beautiful trip. Here are my photos... (please excuse my dirty lens)

looks like a nice trip.. sierras look like they are in drought, barely a flake of snow on whitney area peaks!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-26-2011 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy

Thanks Ken... I need to get my lens cleaned, or the body, don't know where those 'dots' are coming from. It drives me nuts.

As for a cigar: One of my favorites is the Patron 1926 Serie cigar, can't go wrong there.

Thanks Bob. There are CCD cleaners on the market that work well. I can usually get rid of those spots by using mirror lock-up and then a careful blast of compressed air. You can also get rid of them pretty easily with any editing program if you don't mind cheating a little. Agree, love the Padrons!! I've been smoking Fuente Hemingways for a while and I like them, but always looking for a recommendation!!

carpe diem!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2011 at 09:42 AM

That is beautiful country, thanks.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-27-2011 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

looks like a nice trip.. sierras look like they are in drought, barely a flake of snow on whitney area peaks!

Last winter had near record snows in the Eastern Sierra mts.---------the winter is young-----lets hope storms are a-coming!!! But for now, you are soooo right, and it is worrisome. The mountains of Utah are hurting also, my daughter reports.

Barry
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-27-2011 at 05:38 PM

Ah, Manzanar the WWII Japenese determent camp. This is the first and last place I ever "hunted" pheasant in CA. They brought the farm raised pheasants out the night before opening day and turned them loose where they just roosted in the nearest tree. When the game warden fired a shot into the air indicating the official start of season over 100 shotguns fired indiscriminately at anything or nothing. Even though I was wearng 2 pair of Levi'sI was pepered in the legs bad enough to break skin. After that I just hunted in Iowa and Nebraska.

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-27-2011 at 06:36 PM

Nice trip Bob... Amazing that they can add $2 a gallon to the city price and sell enough!

Your sprinklers are all done, by-the-way!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2011 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Nice trip Bob... Amazing that they can add $2 a gallon to the city price and sell enough!

Your sprinklers are all done, by-the-way!

I was amazed by those prices also, and a couple of cars stopped and bought gas there while I was having lunch.

Your work on my sprinker system looks very nice! See you U2U.. .. Bob

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 10:37 AM

Thanks Bob! Can't wait to see that country again.
I had a Rocky Patel that a friend gave me last year---don't know which type though, but it was great....My bread and butter cigar though are the La Paloma Maduros.
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 08:24 PM
O 2 B on 395!

Beautiful TR Bob H! Thanks for the outstanding imagery.... I love these places! OUCH on the gas tho.....hmmmm, better hope the RV doesn't have to fill up!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Vergel
Beautiful TR Bob H! Thanks for the outstanding imagery.... I love these places! OUCH on the gas tho.....hmmmm, better hope the RV doesn't have to fill up!

The gas prices in that photo was taken at Panamint Springs, on the edge of Death Valley. Just fill up before you take that loop and you will not pay those prices.

Great trip during Christmas as there were not very many other vehicles on the road. Wide open spaces all to yourself!!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 10:05 PM

Great photos.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 08:46 PM

Bob,

Did you make it to Darwin, or will that be on the agenda for the next trip?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Bob,

Did you make it to Darwin, or will that be on the agenda for the next trip?

Did not make it to Darwin on this trip, but next time around. Someone told me the best way to get to the Darwin Falls would be through Panamint Springs. So, I need to study this more. Any advice would be welcomed. I will get back there again. Fantastic area of California! And, the people are so friendly.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.