Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 1963 Four Wheeler Magazine - SPECIAL BAJA ISSUE
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 11:11 AM
1963 Four Wheeler Magazine - SPECIAL BAJA ISSUE

Reading through my Feb. 2012 issue of Four Wheeler revealed the cover of the February 1963 issue boasting;

Bay of Los Angeles - "Graveyard of Ships" with a Chevy full-size pickup with in-bed camper atop a sand dune near the Sea of Cortez.

I am sure Granville King contributed to the articles contained in this amazing collection of articles. Just wish I could get my hand on a copy.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 11:40 AM

Granville had a house just north of Puertecitos, from where he wrote his many articles and book 'Jeep Bible'. When the new pavement arrived in the 1990's, he knew the end was near... He was killed on the new highway near Punta Estrella. He really loved dirt roads and like me, is sad when they are gone!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 12-28-2011 at 11:49 AM
I am sorry to hear of such a tragedy

Four Wheeler magazine said that he, "Died" - making it sound like this occurred of, "Old Age". Was it a head-on collision? I know that he left the U.S. in order to retire and live, "Off of the grid" as they say.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 12:46 PM

As I recall, he was changing a tire... and a (perhaps intoxicated) driver ran him over... I am not positive, so I will check if I can find the for sure answer.

I have subscribed to Four Wheeler since the 1960's and had that issue... In cleaning out my collection, I gave them to a friend who is in Hawaii now. I have also subsribed to Off Road, 4 wheel & Off Road, Pickup, Van & 4 Wheel Drive, JP, Dirt Sport, etc. I still have a sub to Four Wheeler to this day.

More on Granville:

From 1984 until his death in 1989 at age 70, Granville King served as Four Wheeler's Baja Correspondent. A former aerospace engineer and TV screenwriter, Granville retired in 1981 to a trailer located on a bluff south of San Felipe, from whence he filed the monthly dispatches that became known to FW readers as "From the Backcountry,'' a diaristic account of a life lived miles away from electricity or paved roads, his only companion a four-legged mascot (and sometime mentor) named Superdawg.

Read more: http://www.fourwheeler.com/departments/legacy/129_9703_march...

Check out his photo:

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/34789163+w750+st0/129_1202_01...

The death:

He was killed in a road accident, not far from his home near San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico, in 1989.

Read more: http://www.fourwheeler.com/adventures/129_0206_14_mile_trail...

[Edited on 12-28-2011 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 02:18 PM

Great stuff Ken and David!

No worries
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 06:55 PM
same thing, really!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Bay of Los Angeles - "Graveyard of Ships" with a Chevy full-size pickup with in-bed camper atop a sand dune near the Sea of Cortez.

I meant to say, GMC full-size pickup...

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-28-2011 at 10:16 PM

The Desert Fox
Using a clue he finally published, my girl friend at the time and I tracked him down on the cliff overlooking the sea (clue 1) near Arroyo Matomi. A whole bunch of Keep Out signs stopped us at his driveway, so we checked the mileage to the nearest beach entrance, drove down the beach and parked spot on. Could not see a thing from below, but when we climbed the cliff we saw his trailer under the palapa (clue 2). Clue 3 was his frequent reference to "The Village" about 28 miles away. A typewriter was banging away inside but he ignored our banging on the door. Turns out he had his hearing aids off.
He finally opened up and was very friendly.

True Desert Fox Story:
When the first prototype Montero 4WD was brought to Baja for testing by Mitsubishi engineers and American consultants, about 1981, it was the only one in North America. One evening, the troops, fueled by a little beer, wondered if the rather high, short wheel vehicle would tip over.

Using a nearby playa for a test track, faster and faster and tighter and tighter the car and driver went around ..... Yep, it rolled. The next morning a very senior engineer explained to his Mitsu jefe in Japan that an unfortunate and unavoidable accident had completely totaled the vehicle and it would be useless to bring it back to the U.S. or Japan.

Granville talked them into stripping off the body and seats as to make it unrecognizable and leaving it with him so he use it as a desert buggy. It was later pictured in the magazine (unrecognizable).

This story was told to me by one of the participants.. My lips are sealed.

Here is a picture of my girl friend, one of several SuperDogs, and Granville with my 1977 FJ-40 LandCruiser.

{Q-E}Granville King1 [800x600].jpg - 40kB

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 05:59 AM
DAVID K

HOLA< wow what a great read,,,as a mechanic,and a desert rat,,alot of those ,,git her home fix's,,I've done for stranger's and a couple time's,, meself,,LOL,,funny IM in the process of bringing back,, to top notch,,for towing a 23ft boston whaler,,a 1969 jeep wagoneer with a stock buick 350,from the factory,,called the dauntless motor,,,and then to read those article's,,time travel....many thank's ....Keith & lil tasha:cool:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 06:55 AM

Great stuff, guys ..... really ,, thanks much ... starts bring back a lot ... :):)

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 09:31 PM
off road

HOLA' this might be a great,,,thing to share with the younger gen. today,,and maybe ,,IF it dosnt get lost,,IT might ,,ring a bell,,down the road,,with the next,gen....OK.what ,,next,,gen,,are we really extinct,,soon???POSSiillbly !!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA< wow what a great read,,,as a mechanic,and a desert rat,,alot of those ,,git her home fix's,,I've done for stranger's and a couple time's,, meself,,LOL,,funny IM in the process of bringing back,, to top notch,,for towing a 23ft boston whaler,,a 1969 jeep wagoneer with a stock buick 350,from the factory,,called the dauntless motor,,,and then to read those article's,,time travel....many thank's ....Keith & lil tasha:cool:

Thanks!

Yup... we started our Baja exploring in a (new) 1965 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer (with a Rambler V-8)... Although I was just a little kid, I believe that was a great vehicle and served our family well. In 1970, my dad got a new Wagoneer and it had a Buick V-8 and a little AMC badge as AMC bought Kaiser that year. Sadly, it was a junk Jeep and my dad soon switched it for a 4WD Chevy Suburban until his Ford wagon in '73. In 1975 I got my first Jeep, a Cherokee Chief with the AMC 401 V-8... it too was a piece of junk in quality, and I switched to a 4WD Subaru wagon in '77.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Thanks!

Yup... we started our Baja exploring in a (new) 1965 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer (with a Rambler V-8)... Although I was just a little kid, I believe that was a great vehicle and served our family well. In 1970, my dad got a new Wagoneer and it had a Buick V-8 and a little AMC badge as AMC bought Kaiser that year. Sadly, it was a junk Jeep and my dad soon switched it for a 4WD Chevy Suburban until his Ford wagon in '73. In 1975 I got my first Jeep, a Cherokee Chief with the AMC 401 V-8... it too was a piece of junk in quality, and I switched to a 4WD Subaru wagon in '77.

Why didn't you just stick with the 1965? I got rid of the '94 Ranger, and I'm still with my '03 Rubicon as it has been reliable and also capable.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:23 AM
jeeeps

hola,david,,from what im learning the kaiser's were really tough unit's this 69 im working on is a TANK,,would not want even hit it with my 89 volva 240.. LOL and the buick 350 will tear up a small block chevy,,old dog learnig new stuff !!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Why didn't you just stick with the 1965? I got rid of the '94 Ranger, and I'm still with my '03 Rubicon as it has been reliable and also capable.

Ken, I am not sure, I was 12-13 (in 1970) when my dad changed Wagoneers. I just remember the '65 rarely needing anything... and I liked going to the Jeep dealer because I loved sitting in CJ-5s and always wanted one!

When I was old enough for my first Jeep (and after working so much to keep my VW dune buggy running), my dad convinced me the CJ-5 was too small to carry gear, nor be able to sleep in... so he steered me to the new Cherokee (which was the same body as the Wagoneer, but with 2 doors to 'look' sportier). The new 'Chief' package gave it wider Jeep J-10 truck axles, bigger tires and wheel openings over the base Cherokee.

It was great, when it ran... and the full time 4WD was awesome (Quadra Trac, with center diff. lock). Just a ton of stupid things failing from the very start... including radiator, starter, auto. tranny, etc.

Got the Subaru... and just drove the heck out of it... no problems and 25 mpg on any gas! I ended up owning 3 Subarus... and later a Mitsubishi truck, Mazda Van, Plymouth Van, and now on my 3rd Toyota Tacoma. Of all those cars/ trucks... ONLY the American brand (Plymouth) was a POS junk pile in quality... Just like the Jeep... No more, enough is enough!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
hola,david,,from what im learning the kaiser's were really tough unit's this 69 im working on is a TANK,,would not want even hit it with my 89 volva 240.. LOL and the buick 350 will tear up a small block chevy,,old dog learnig new stuff !!

Yah, what was cool about Kaiser-Jeep, was they could buy the best form other companies to build the Jeep. The steering was from a Cadilac, I believe my dad said.

Kaiser bought Willys-Overland in 1953, and changed the name to Willys Motors... then changed the name again in 1963 to Kaiser-Jeep Corp.

I really love the Jeep and its history... I just wished they were made by a quality company like Toyota! LOL:lol::light:

Even the U.S. government lies about Toyota to help their GM sales didn't stop the people from wanting the best!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
It was great, when it ran... and the full time 4WD was awesome (Quadra Trac, with center diff. lock). Just a ton of stupid things failing from the very start... including radiator, starter, auto. tranny, etc.

Got the Subaru... and just drove the heck out of it... no problems and 25 mpg on any gas! I ended up owning 3 Subarus... and later a Mitsubishi truck, Mazda Van, Plymouth Van, and now on my 3rd Toyota Tacoma. Of all those cars/ trucks... ONLY the American brand (Plymouth) was a POS junk pile in quality... Just like the Jeep... No more, enough is enough!

The improved gas mileage speaks volumes. The Honda Pilot I drive daily gets about double the fuel economy as my Rubicon. Guess which one stays garaged??

Dumb question #2 - Why did you get rid of the Subarus?

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:52 AM
jeeps

HOLA, the vin plate on this kaiser is so,,cool.. I will take some pic's and post,,but since ,I'm taking my baby step's on this lap top,,,dont wait !! IT's gonna take me awile ..LOL Keith& lil tasha:cool:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 10:06 AM
Reliable? Really?

I often see Toyotas on the side of the freeway while driving to work every morning. This could be due to poor maintenance or poorly rebuilt parts, but I still see broken down Toyotas and I laugh out loud everytime.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 11:20 AM

My son just rolled up 300K mileage on his Subaru "Baja" and since Subaru is not making the "Baja" anymore, he just spent $4,600 on it at the dealer and hopes to get another 150K + before he hangs it up. It's a 2005------the "Baja" is one-half OUTBACK and one-half MINI-PICKUP (on an OUTBACK frame) and is a 4-door similar to, but much smaller than, the Chevy Avalanche. He has had no problems with it other than normal wear and tear-------strut replacement, tires, new timing belts, etc.. and small stuff occasionally. It's 4 wheel drive, and he is a hard-driving man, for sure. He loves it (obviously--I never spent that much on a used vehicle in my life!). :lol:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The improved gas mileage speaks volumes. The Honda Pilot I drive daily gets about double the fuel economy as my Rubicon. Guess which one stays garaged??

Dumb question #2 - Why did you get rid of the Subarus?

Changed for newer model, more features, less wear... My first two both had well over 100,000 trouble free miles when I traded them on a newer ('77 for '80 and the '80 for an '86). Wife #1 kept the third Subaru until it wore out from her lack of care, I think... It had close to 200,000 miles on it, I think.

I took the 13" tire Subarus into places others would never dream... Rancho Matomi in '78 for one... then to Gonzaga over the original road from Puertecitos in '79 (lost the exhaust on rocks).

You see that many broken Tacomas (or just any Toyota, since that is the world's most popular car)? Oh well, that's okay... I know how mine is... and it is awesome.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.