Author: Subject: Your favorite boats?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 09:11 AM
Your favorite boats?

A Classy Lady

1959 Lone Star Cuddy

Like me, you've probably seen a lot of hulks like this rotting away here and there along the shores of Baja.

But mine is completely restored and will lead a long, long life from here on...to take me to those deeelicious walleye dinners!

Yarcraft BT 1895 Storm (the BT stands for Back-Troller..hah, not something we do a lot of in Baja waters, right?)

The Yarcraft looks better with fish!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 09:17 AM

Whichever one happens to be under me at the time when we're catching fish as fast as we can haul them in. Like you pompano, I've fished from almost anything that will stay afloat and a few that struggled at that...

:lol:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

cool.gif posted on 12-29-2011 at 09:44 AM
boat and tow vehicle combo favorite!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 10:08 AM
Ken...

Ken..that Caddy and finned runabout were a common sight on ND & MN lakes in the late 50's. What great times.

Also reminds me of this Caddy 'boat' and Vintage Airstream camper I passed on the I-15 just a couple months ago.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 10:23 AM
Livingston Warrior 15 1/2'

This was my favorite. 90 Yamaha it would top out at 55mph. Really handled small waves and boat wakes well. Setup for the Hood Canal & Puget Sound. It was a 1980 something. Also had it's little brother for the lakes.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 11:49 AM

don't have a boat anymore but the girls still like my cute little dinghy :lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 06:02 PM
For morning glass on the bay

speedboat.gif - 48kB

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 06:54 PM

My alltime favorite. Still miss her:

carpe diem!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 07:03 PM
boats

HOLA,, russ,, those are AWSOME boat's,dry ,soft,fast and a do it all,vessel,,and to pompano,,that 70 hp is a GOOD motor,, bit of:cool: advice,dont forget that it has a thermastat !! actually all outboards do and are the most over looked item along with the poppet valve/pressure releave valve...

..happy new year

[Edited on 12-30-2011 by captkw]

[Edited on 12-30-2011 by captkw]
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 07:06 PM

I have had 3 boats.
Hobie Power Skiff - purchased after it sat on the beach for 10 years. Engine and controls had been removed. Had a used 40HP motor installed and used it for a few years. Lots of fun but a very wet ride.

Boston Whaler 17 foot Montauk purchased used. A money maker, as it was crashed into while docked by a 85 year old gentleman launching his 28 foot cruiser. He had owned his boat 2 days and had insured it the day before hitting mine. He damaged some docks also while doing circles trying to get the boat back to the dock. While he was having problems, his wife was yelling at him from the dock. He called me later that night to thank me for being so nice - hey, it was an accident. I told him to hire a captain to teach him to operate his boat, but he told me the wife said the boat must go. I have always hoped he was able to keep it, as he was probably living a lifelong dream of having his own boat. Allstate Insurance (his policy) paid me to rent a boat for 3 weeks, totaled the boat and let me keep it. I nearly tripled my investment.

Current boat, purchased new is a Boston Whaler 15 foot Montauk.

I like them all!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 07:14 PM

Ken

Years ago I left the Metzler on the roof of our little camper so we had room to sleep, this was in Santa Barbara left the next morning forgot the boat on the freeway someone honking told us we lost the boat on the freeway first pull off went back when we got there someone was loading it into their pickup in short we got it back tire tracks and all. Used it that winter no problems we eventually sold it sure wish I had now they don't make them like that anymore.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 07:24 PM
movie

ahh yes "the flying metzler" that could been a block buster movie,,aft of ya !!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 08:07 PM

Regarding T-Stats in ourboards; I had a 90hp Honda 4-stroke on a 20' RIB, I took it in to the local authorized Honda shop for it's end of the season tune up and go over, and he found water in the oil.
He told me that I rotted out the oil pan, where the cooling jacket runs through it, and that it would cost $1000's to fix it IF that was in fact the problem, and it wasn't a crack in the block or heads.
I carry passengers in the skiff, in the wilds of Alaska, and can't take any chances on an engine failure, so I decided to sell the boat as is, and replace it.
The guy who bought it took it to HIS Honda guy, who suggested replacing the T-Stat. He said that if the thermostat sticks OPEN, the motor never gets hot enough to vaporize the condensation inside the oil system. That condensation builds up until the oil is contaminated. He replaced the T-Stat, changed the oil and ran it until it was warm, then changed the oil again.
That was it, problem fixed!
Of course I felt like an idiot, but I learned something.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 08:26 PM
island biulder

HOLA,hey,pass a cold one,,".por favor" yes,that's true,,It's called "wicking" and I see that allthe time on the fourstroke's and I'll tell ya a lil bit of truth,,The big shop's are not,, the place to get your baby worked on..find a smaller shop that stay's in biz ,,from reff's of other,experenced boaters...not weekend wannabe's and the same for wanna B's marine mech's..I have found that in this biz (IM 51) the bigger the sign,,the least time on the job and time studying the new tech,spec's and how's & why's of marine design's,dia'os' and preventive work is a bloody ____ !! K&T:coolup:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 08:29 PM
wicking inthe oil

BTW,,what part of alaska ??
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Your favorite boats?

this soon may be

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 08:58 PM
mtgoat

hola, have you ck'd out the volvo race's...??? sled's are so 70's..and be advised my northern home is santa cruz ca..but'' what ever makes ya happy,,"good on ya mate"and happy new year's to all on,,:bounce: this great chunk of spinning - - --.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Ken

Years ago I left the Metzler on the roof of our little camper so we had room to sleep, this was in Santa Barbara left the next morning forgot the boat on the freeway someone honking told us we lost the boat on the freeway first pull off went back when we got there someone was loading it into their pickup in short we got it back tire tracks and all. Used it that winter no problems we eventually sold it sure wish I had now they don't make them like that anymore.

Great story comitan!! Jeez I sure loved that Metzeler. Actually had two of them, the smaller "Maya" shown in the picture with (I think) a 7.5 hp and the big "Elefant" with a Johnson 25. They were GREAT inflatables!! Kept both of them at San Francisquito for years.

[Edited on 12-30-2011 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 12-29-2011 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
BTW,,what part of alaska ??

All over SE, but mostly Stephens Pass and Fredrick Sound.

Yeah, I was pretty naive on not working on my Honda 90 myself, it's a great motor!

There are times I think that I've finally made my last tuition payment, and then I go and do something stupid, and, cha ching, another installment!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 08:52 AM
island biulder

hola,love alaska,lived in anchor for a while,, after trolling a lure from cabo to the sorccorro's to thur the hawai island then up to seward (resurection bay) the school of hard knok's ,, does have it's moment's,ever been divorced !! och !! what do you like to chase ? red's,silver's,kings,barn door hali'S,,I ran a 120 fter for the oil spill ,,south of homer and had a blast fishing alaska and a lotta babe's at the great alaska bush company LOL:lol: K&T
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.