Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Mechanics in Baja
hdn2mx
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 07:33 AM

Hands down you need Gustavo here in Todos Santos. He specializes in transmissions and speaks English. Take the Las Playitas road (sometimes called the Las Tunas road) and the next road past the Telmex substation take a right it is also across from the now closed Minisuper Juanita. Go up half a block and his place is on the right.

His phone number is 612-142-7111 we call him Tavo
............................................................................................
In the process of using "Tavo" now. Younger, sharp, great English. Transmission problem in Isuzu Trooper, will follow up. RT
hdn2mx
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2015 at 11:17 PM
Gustavo, Todos Santos

Well it took about 8 weeks, thats right, 8 weeks. Although Tavo did tear apart the tranny to my Trooper twice. He missed a broken ring the first time and even after the second time, it took a while to figure there was a hairline crack that he couldn't see. But he did find it and had to order a new part from LaPaz and now thats it back together it runs way quieter than it ever has. The price stayed the same and he did finish the job and apoligized on how long it took. Also, he speaks good English which helped me a lot!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 11:21 PM

Just to amplify what AirstreamWillys has said about Daniel and Pac in Mulege, a great deal of their business is bike and quads. They are active off road riders and know the area in case you need tips on roads in the hills West of here. I have nearly killed myself trying to stay with them though!

I had them replace an exhaust manifold gasket on my old Ford 351W in a van and service the automatic transmission. I provided the transmission filter and oil. The manifold removal is an AWFUL job on these engines. The bolts always break off for me. Daniel worked them all free without breaking a one.

Total bill, MX$1210. I about choked. 80 bucks for a day and a half of hard work. Peanuts.

This is a great list. Glad to see Fili in Loreto on it.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 11:25 PM

There is a good bicycle shop in Loreto. And Llantera Madraso in Loreto saved a pretty knackered motorcycle tube for me.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hdn2mx  
Hands down you need Gustavo here in Todos Santos. He specializes in transmissions and speaks English. Take the Las Playitas road (sometimes called the Las Tunas road) and the next road past the Telmex substation take a right it is also across from the now closed Minisuper Juanita. Go up half a block and his place is on the right.

His phone number is 612-142-7111 we call him Tavo
............................................................................................
In the process of using "Tavo" now. Younger, sharp, great English. Transmission problem in Isuzu Trooper, will follow up. RT

The road is called Otra Lado, as well. Is Tavo past the elementary school? Don't pay attention so don't know the telmex station.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 11:46 AM

I'll recommend Martin in Bahia de Los Angeles as a boat mechanic. Got me going three separate times.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 01:01 PM

I recommend Terry James of Playas de Tijuana. 619-408-4509. He installed my oil pump yesterday, and did a thorough job on my Jeep.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 06:22 PM
WHOA !! KEN

is this the new "Rubican" you recently got ??? oil pumps seldom, if ever fail..oil pump drives, yes !! and worn main and rod bearings will lower oil pressure..but oil pump failure is almost unheard of ???:?:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 09:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
is this the new "Rubican" you recently got ??? oil pumps seldom, if ever fail..oil pump drives, yes !! and worn main and rod bearings will lower oil pressure..but oil pump failure is almost unheard of ???:?:

This is my new RUBICON that I bought in 2003. The oil pump was questionable as it was presented to me by Terry. Now, the Jeep starts on the first try. But the oil pressure gauge is still acting up. I will take it back to TERRY JAMES of Playas Tijuana again when I have some additional time to do so.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 09:27 PM
Thanks KEN

Talk about a Fast reply !! I think you might find that the sender/wireing or gauge to be the problem...low oil pressure is almost,,almost never the pump...have him ck with a "outside" unit/gauge first...simple to do.and first action IMO.......BTW when I get a time (ya right) Im installing a hydro boost brake system on a 68 jeep commando "crawler" that you would love to see/drive with 33' rims w/beadlocks he needs some stopping power...Ya Think.... LOL keep us informed.. ...will look forward to your update....K&T
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 07:15 AM

Terry in Playas de Tijuana didn't have the correct fittings to install my oil pressure gauge. An OEM oil sending unit was installed in July. Terry believes the problem is electrical. I'll keep you posted on any developments.

chrishaynesusa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 08:31 AM

Great Thread!!
Just what I was looking for.
Thanks to all who had input and Lee for putting it together.
Cheers!!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 10:52 AM

much of the info on this thread is YEARS old...
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

not paying attention I thought captkw was back!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 09:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

Gibberish is fine and since the OP thinks this is a ''great thread,'' maybe nomads might know a mechanic down South to help the stranded tourist and traveler.

Wonder if Reuben is well in Loreto.

Any leads, Nomads?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 8-24-2019 at 09:22 PM

Lee, Ruben is well, but has swapped shop locations with his Son, Fili.

Ruben is of the mind that if he doesn't like you, or your vehicle, he'll tell you to take it to Fili.

Lucky for me, he still works on my 1990 Chevy Sierra pick up and my Jeep Cherokees. He's sort of "retired". ;)

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2019 at 09:14 AM

Dennis recommended Vicente in the Ensenada, particularly Punta Banda/Cantu/Maneadero area.

Vicente is a super nice guy, basic English, but patient to understand what you are trying to say in English or bad Spanish.

He is mobile only, works mostly by appointment. Super honest and very modestly priced.

Vicente is at 646-123-1750 Doesn't answer his phone on Sundays.

Someone else also recommended Monchie who is located inside Campo La Jolla on the La Bufadora road. Excellent work at very reasonable prices. Known by everyone to do fair and honest work. Don't know his phone. I just drive over there.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 11:40 AM

Mulege mechanic added to this thread:

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
A few miles south of Mulege, directly across from KM 131

I'll try to attach a photo in a few minutes - we've had great work done there.

John

[Edited on 10-30-2019 by John M]

[Edited on 10-31-2019 by BajaNomad]

F*ck it.
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2019 at 11:55 AM

I like that there are so many decent mechanics here. In the USA, you can't trust even one of them. They are all ready to rip you off as quickly as they can, for as much as they can.

Okay - there are probably a few honest ones. Just haven't met them yet.
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2019 at 10:50 AM

There are many mechanics recommended on the Ensenada Expats Facebook site.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.