BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Years 2012: Clams, both fresh & petrified! 5 photos from Tunaeater added!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 11:36 AM
New Years 2012: Clams, both fresh & petrified! 5 photos from Tunaeater added!

Baja Angel and I headed south Saturday morning, crossed the border at Mexicali about 12:30 and loaded our ice chests with all the beer they could hold (Dos Equis, Carta Blanca Light) from a distributor at Km. 5.5 who added free ice above what we had. Very nice man runs the place who moved back to Mexico when business in the US soured.

The highway to San Felipe was in super condition with just a very short detour about 50 miles south, near the sand dunes. However, that was finished yesterday... so no detours at all now.

Gasoline in San Felipe was 9.42 pesos/ liter for Magna and 10.20 for Premium. The station at El Dorado Ranch was giving an exchange rate of 13.65 pesos per dollar. Making the cost of Magna US$2.61/ gallon... a dollar a gallon less than in California.

The time was 3:30 and we headed directly to the Malecon (beach front street) for some tacos and beer. The town seemed nearly deserted from tourists (Mexican or American) and it was a sad scene. The taco stand plaza has morphed into just two restaurants from the original dozen fish taco vendors of up to 10 years before.

We were invited to stay at BajaRob and Connie's (Bahia Santa Maria) which is 24 miles south, and we arrived about 4:30 pm and enjoyed the sky changing color and the Sea of Cortez. Rob and Connie arrived about an hour later from an event put on by the South Campos Community, called a White Elephant... Rob can describe that to you guys!

The night was wonderful and we were asleep before New Years (well, unless you go by a different time zone).

The next morning (Sunday, Jan. 1), was an awesome sunny day... Good omen... I helped Rob and his neighbor Jim bring up fresh water for the clams for a final purge. Rob ordered 100 dozen clams and has the clam thing down to a science... There were up to 100 people at the New Years Day party (1-4 pm) and the clams were perfect in both quantity and flavor. It is a pot luck, so many dishes and salads and Rob's black eyed peas add to the bowl of clams and butter everyone enjoyed.

Before the party, Baja Angel and I drove to Shell Island and enjoyed some quiet time before the party. A kite-surfer went from Santa Maria to Percebu and back while we were there. It was interesting to watch him tack into the north wind.

Noticed how tires sink less than foot prints in sand... I guess they should re-think that vehicles could harm beach life, they would be better to ban people walking!:light:

Monday, we hooked up with 'Chick' and his wife who live at El Vergel to visit the fossil beds nearby. Rob tried to show us the place 2 years ago, but we missed the correct path... but had fun four wheeling anyway!

TO BE CONTINUED!...

[Edited on 1-10-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 12:08 PM

Next, we hiked further up the wash to see petrified sand dollars!

BajaRob

After seeing the sand dollars, we drove over to an entire hill made of oysters and other shells...

Chick's Ford was a nice off roader... it only broke down about 3 times that day! :rolleyes: (Chick fixed it while I goofed off driving circles around it on the beach) :lol: Chick has a Toyota too... I think he drives it when he doesn't have another vehicle along for support!

Near the top of the fossil hill.

Wednesday, we head home... But, not without some exploration into new (to me) territory.

This is the water pipe that goes from Arroyo Grande to the La Fortuna gold mines, 40 miles north of San Felipe. The power lines go to the well at the end of the pipe. The access road leaves Mex. 5 at Km. 107... just south of La Ventana.

In ~6 miles you come to the water and power lines... ~6 more miles is the end in Arroyo Grande. The Baja 1000 course was in Arroyo Grande, heading south.

It is pretty slow going in anything but an off road racer in Arroyo Grande, for ~5 miles to where it turns east out of the arroyo.

The desert is beautiful...

Like all my other Baja trips, this one has me wanting to go back... just to experience it one more time!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 12:10 PM
Pertified?

I could not find any such word in any english or spanish dictionary. Some dude did write a song by that title:
www.justsomelyrics.com/1177084/Fort-Minor-Pertified-LyricsCa...
I think you meant PETRIFIED:
past participle, past tense of pet·ri·fy (Verb)Verb:
1.Make (someone) so frightened that they are unable to move or think.
2.Change (organic matter) into a stony concretion by encrusting or replacing its original substance with a calcareous, siliceous, or other...

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 12:13 PM

I got a bad cold... I will fix, sorry!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 02:29 PM

Another great trip to Baja, thanks.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 02:35 PM

cool stuff, glad you were able to make it down.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 02:38 PM
The road to Cohabuzo Junction?

Our new friend Rafael who lives in Ejido Saldaña lives near this route. If you see him walking with his dogs, be sure to give him a Gatorade.:light:

[Edited on 1-5-2012 by Ken Cooke]

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 03:15 PM

Hey David, great report!

It's great that you guys were able to get down, even if only for a few days.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Our new friend Rafael who lives in Ejido Saldaña lives near this route. If you see him walking with his dogs, be sure to give him a Gatorade.:light:

Nope... we were a quite bit south and east of Cohabuzo... actually on or just south of the road from the Pole Line Road out to La Ventana, the way you guys drive out of there, I think. The photo is the Baja 1000 course in Arroyo Grande before it crosses the Sierra Pinta towards Hwy. 3/ San Felipe side.

This is Howard Gulick's 1962 map of the area. We went as far as the road junction area just north of the lable 'Grande' for Arroyo grande on the map.

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 05:55 PM

Great report as always. Im happy that you and Elizabeth had a great New Year week.

Im ready for a another Baja beach trip, dont know when that will be but soon. I just finished installing a 20-gal air compressor/tank aboard my motorhome so now Im not afraid to air down for fear of airing up taking half a day.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Islandbuilder
Hey David, great report!

It's great that you guys were able to get down, even if only for a few days.

Thank you... it is hard to resist an opportunity to go to Baja... even if it is just for 5 days instead of 2 weeks! I hope to always bring something interesting back for you guys to read or see, no matter what! It is fun for me to share...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Great report as always. Im happy that you and Elizabeth had a great New Year week.

Im ready for a another Baja beach trip, dont know when that will be but soon. I just finished installing a 20-gal air compressor/tank aboard my motorhome so now Im not afraid to air down for fear of airing up taking half a day.

Hi Art,

We always think of you and your 4WD motorhome on our trips...

Good move on the air tanks!
I want you to seriously consider TIRES that self clean the mud out... Getting onto Shell Island wasn't nearly as exciting as the high tides last week didn't surround the island like it did last July!

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 06:24 PM

again a nice report David

making me want to get down soon to SF

but I want it to warm up a bit
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 07:07 PM
Great trip report and pictures

Thank you. We spent the last two days in Mission Bay shopping and doing the VA thingy. It took 2 days with zero alcohol consumption to dry out after 3 parties in 3 days. We have a bit more shopping in El Centro tomorrow and then back to San Felipe. We have resolved to take it easier next Holiday Season. So soon old, so late smart. Fair winds, Rob
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Thank you. We spent the last two days in Mission Bay shopping and doing the VA thingy. It took 2 days with zero alcohol consumption to dry out after 3 parties in 3 days. We have a bit more shopping in El Centro tomorrow and then back to San Felipe. We have resolved to take it easier next Holiday Season. So soon old, so late smart. Fair winds, Rob

Thanks again for your hospitality, warm days, star filled nights and finally finding and showing us the fossil beds!! We will see you sooner than later, I hope!

I also wanted to say how great your party was and I had a chance to visit with Tunaeater and El Comondante Loco... and met Baja Ponderosa, too. It was great watching the Chargers beat the Raiders, too! :bounce:

Fun Fun Fun in the bright Baja sun!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 06:15 AM
Trust me, we doubled back through this area for 5 hours in November.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Nope... we were a quite bit south and east of Cohabuzo... actually on or just south of the road from the Pole Line Road out to La Ventana, the way you guys drive out of there, I think. The photo is the Baja 1000 course in Arroyo Grande before it crosses the Sierra Pinta towards Hwy. 3/ San Felipe side.

This is Howard Gulick's 1962 map of the area. We went as far as the road junction area just north of the lable 'Grande' for Arroyo grande on the map.

I remember this area vividly, and the mountain just to the right in this photo is the landmark for Cohabuzo Junction. It was near our campsite on the 1st night of our Pole Line Run in November.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 06:25 AM
This map is fairly inaccurate, as well.

Quote:

For starters, Hwy 5 does not hook the way it does on this map. Plus, where you were driving when you took the photo behind the wheel, is sandy, but is past the actual arroyo - leading to some massive silt beds.

I would post my photos, but they would throw your screen orientation out of sorts. And, I know you wouldn't like reading your thread with larger photo images to condend with.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 07:13 AM

Quote:

I helped Rob and his neighbor Jim bring up fresh water for the clams for a final purge.

I was surprised to read this because fresh water will kill a clam.

I would think that a saltwater clam placed in fresh water would close it's shell and stop filtering altogether in an attempt to stay alive. Doesn't that happen?

I found this thread posted 4 years ago where Corky, our seafood restaurant owner from Oregon, urges to never purge clams in fresh water:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=23091
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

I helped Rob and his neighbor Jim bring up fresh water for the clams for a final purge.

I was surprised to read this because fresh water will kill a clam.

I would think that a saltwater clam placed in fresh water would close it's shell and stop filtering altogether in an attempt to stay alive. Doesn't that happen?

I found this thread posted 4 years ago where Corky, our seafood restaurant owner from Oregon, urges to never purge clams in fresh water:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=23091

Sorry that I wasn't clear on this... Fresh SEA water! Obviously, you keep sea clams alive in sea water... Helping bring up fresh water from the ocean (gulf) to Rob's patio.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 01:36 PM

Oh, OK.

I was thinking that maybe the freshwater was used to purge the sea water and make them taste less salty.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.