Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kayaking from CA to Costa Rica
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2004 at 07:41 AM
Kayaking from CA to Costa Rica

This 60 year old guy is going to kayak from Santa Barbara to Costa Rica, cross over from the Pacific to the Sea of Cortez in Baja and head south. A little bit crazy, no?
http://www.kayakingforpeace.org
Bob H:smug:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2004 at 12:18 PM
D Rat....

This sounds like something you might do :no:

Bob: thanks for the site....I also will be watching for a trip report......I think he's loco, but, who am I to judge? (I'll also be saying a prayer for him!) weird though, I feel less worried for him than I do for people that decide to bicycle down Mex 1
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2004 at 04:32 PM

Sound like an adventure, i dont see any problems except for crossing the Sea of Cortez.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2004 at 10:26 PM

It will be fun to watch his progress. We will have to look out for him when comes to our area.

[Edited on 9-27-2004 by elgatoloco]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 08:31 AM

Read a book about a father and son team who kayaked from Seattle to the Amazon. They paddled through the US via rivers, the Mississippi, etc., went into the Gulf of Mexico from Texas; got caught in a hurricane somewhere along the Yucatan peninsula, ran into bandits in Central America, but finally got to the Amazon. Just shows you what human beings can accomplish. I totally understand the purpose - via con dios.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 11:45 AM

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040925/news_1n25ka...

There is (sometimes) an ad on the page for some place called Loreto Bay. :biggrin:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 11:06 AM

Wow, EGL, your article says the guy is 66 years old. That's another 6 years older than what I had read. This guy may be a little nuts, but it's for a good cause, I guess. Will be interesting to follow him.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 11:13 AM

The wife and I were talking about paddling out and saying hello and good luck. His website shows his current location as Auburn.:O
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 11:25 AM
We met a couple at San Cosme

He was in his early 70's and she was late 60's. They were with a younger couple, 50's and they all were from Germanyand Switzerland The old guy taught kayaking in Switzerland and traveled all over the world taking kayak trips.
He was ex special forces and knew his stuff as well as a friend of mine in Switzerland. (IBS Battery Systems)
Anyway, these guys pulled up on the beach and unloaded more stuff than I had in my van.:O
They needed some unleaded fuel for their stove so we set them up with some.
They reciprocated by baking us bread in an oven made in the cliff and bringing over a bottle of tequila and the octopus I had given them earlier was turned into a fancy appetizer dish.
Who woulda thunk ????:lol:
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2004 at 06:29 PM
Has anyone heard more?

Paddle to the Amazon was an amazing story! It's hard to believe they lived through the whole thing.

Has anyone heard any more from Carlos?

Since his last entry from La Paz about a hurting hand and that we was waiting for a backpack to be shipped to him so he could walk the rest of the way his web site has been down. I hope he's OK.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 12-30-2004 at 05:15 AM
Read Marv and Althea Patchen

most excellent adventures.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2004 at 09:48 AM

Carlos has acute arthritis, and is finishing the trip by walking (from his website kayakingforpeace.org:

"Dec.11th and 12th Update
Dec. 11th and 12th Update I have now been in Las Paz four days and they have been very full and interesting days. It was such a thrill to turn into La Paz Harbor and see the Greenpeace ship, The Arctic Sunrise, in front of me. It was also so fortunate to paddle up to the ship and have the captain standing there. He and the 10 crew members are all fine human beings and have become my friends. On the morning of the 12th day, I took the shore boat and got a ride to the wharf. A half a block from the beach, I found a medium priced hotel, La Plaza Real, where I got a room. After sleeping in my tent on beautiful remote beaches to the sound of the waves, it was a drastic change to now be sleeping in a bed to the sound of cars honking and an occasional siren wailing. I think I prefer the waves.
For the past three weeks, I have had a growing concern about my right hand. I had been having a severe pain centered around the base of my thumb. The pain usually travels half way up my arm. Frequently, I can?t open my right hand unless I pry it open with my left. For the past couple of weeks, the pain has limited me to a maximum of 16 miles a day. Yesterday, I reached my doctor by phone in Grass Valley, and he informed me that the arthritis which he had previously diagnosed in my right thumb had been aggravated by 800 miles of kayaking and that it will probably get worse. That was what I feared.
I have therefore made the decision to continue on foot the rest of the way and ship my kayak to California. My wife is mailing my backpack to me. Yesterday afternoon, I went to the Arctic Sunrise where the crew made a sign for me which says in Spanish , from California to Costa Rica for World Peace and a better Environment. My plan is to take the ferry to Mazatlan, then start walking south along the coast.
I will have the sign pinned to the back of my backpack. After two and a half months of sitting on the kayak, my legs are a little weak. I have now started walking every day, while I wait for the backpack, to prepare myself. My wife and daughter will be joining me for a week for Christmas. I will start the walk as soon as they return home.

Dec. 16th
Dec. 16th To all Carlos? friends and supporters, we want to say a big ?Thank you? for your interest and kind remarks. Let?s all commit to work together towards creating a peaceful world and a beautiful environment for future generations.
Carlos will begin walking Dec. 28th or 29th. Updates will begin shortly thereafter.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-30-2004 at 09:55 AM

Yes they are great adventures... a must read Baja book. Available from Discover Baja Travel Club (even to non-members). Marv and Aletha were recent guests on Baja Talk Radio... listen to the show (link in my Baja Notebook). Here's the book...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.