BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On This Day In History: 1908 Grand Canyon becomes a Natl. Monument
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 11:26 PM
On This Day In History: 1908 Grand Canyon becomes a Natl. Monument

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY – JANUARY 11TH, 1908

THE GRAND CANYON becomes a NATL. MONUMENT

On January 11, 1908, U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt declares the massive Grand Canyon in northwestern Arizona a national monument.

Though Native Americans lived in the area as early as the 13th century, the first European sighting of the canyon wasn't until 1540, by members of an expedition headed by the Spanish explorer Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.

Because of its remote and inaccessible location, several centuries passed before North American settlers really explored the canyon. In 1869, geologist John Wesley Powell led a group of 10 men in the first difficult journey down the rapids of the Colorado River and along the length of the 277-mile gorge in four rowboats.

By the end of the 19th century, the Grand Canyon was attracting thousands of tourists each year. One famous visitor was President Theodore Roosevelt, a New Yorker with a particular affection for the American West. After becoming president in 1901 after the assassination of President William McKinley, Roosevelt made environmental conservation a major part of his presidency. After establishing the National Wildlife Refuge to protect the country's animals, fish and birds, Roosevelt turned his attention to federal regulation of public lands. Though a region could be given national park status--indicating that all private development on that land was illegal--only by an act of Congress, Roosevelt cut down on red tape by beginning a new presidential practice of granting a similar "national monument" designation to some of the West's greatest treasures.

In January 1908, Roosevelt exercised this right to make more than 800,000 acres of the Grand Canyon area into a national monument. "Let this great wonder of nature remain as it now is," he declared. "You cannot improve on it. But what you can do is keep it for your children, your children’s children, and all who come after you, as the one great sight which every American should see."

Congress did not officially outlaw private development in the Grand Canyon until 1919, when President Woodrow Wilson signed the Grand Canyon National Park Act. Today, more than 5 million people visit the canyon each year. The canyon floor is accessible by foot, mule or boat, and whitewater rafting, hiking and running in the area are especially popular. Many choose to conserve their energies and simply take in the breathtaking view from the canyon's South Rim--some 7,000 feet above sea level--and marvel at a vista virtually unchanged for over 400 years.

Route 66 was very instrumental in bringing automobile tourism to the West. “We did it!....and a few more!!”

Co-Pilot is a quick learner...and worth the effort of yelling instructions.

"Try to move me, Romeo, and they'll be calling you, 'Stumps'.. "

"Wow..now that's some pothole. It's likely some hole-digging Maltese dogs did this...like a couple I could mention..."

"What's he saying?.......Hey, ya big Blabbermouth! Yeah....Snitch!"

“Bad Dexter! You drop that poor little rattlesnake right now! You’ll get gas. ”

"Nice, nice…ah, just don’t turn around if you don’t like surprises.”

“Oh great.. Just Great! The door now opens on a 5,000 foot drop…real nice parking spot, Pompano...real nice.”

“Shhh…hand me my spear. There some nice steaks on this side. ‘Teddy’ would have wanted me to survive off the land.”

Wow..did you SEE THAT?!

That Pompano guy scotch-taped about 50 pigeons to his arms, got ‘em all flapping away… and jumped over the edge! He was doing real well, too... until that dumb kid over there went and tossed all his popcorn at those pigeons!

Yuck!..Gag!...looks like a plastic lawn bag of minestrone soup hit the canyon floor."

That's what happened on January 11th, folks...AND YOU WERE THERE.

[Edited on 1-12-2012 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 09:02 AM

I still get goose bumps when I look at that chasm--------surely one of the wonders of the world. I got to work there for about 4 months way back in 1967---a highlight of my life!!

Great pics, Roger----------ALL of them. :lol:

Barry
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I still get goose bumps when I look at that chasm--------surely one of the wonders of the world. I got to work there for about 4 months way back in 1967---a highlight of my life!!

Great pics, Roger----------ALL of them. :lol:

Barry

Goose bumps...me, too. My first visit was during a family camping trip throughout the Southwest in 1961. I remember getting on top of a retaining wall near the Watchtower and looking straight down ...about 8,000 feet or more, I think. A LONG ways down! My legs turned to jelly and I eased off that ledge 'scared out of my gourd'. What stupid thing I did..a good gust of wind and adios! I still don't exactly love heights, but learned to live with it during flight school. (Give me a low-wing over high wings anytime. ;))

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 12:00 PM

We enjoyed our brief time at the canyon back in 2007, and hope to return... do the mule ride to the bottom, etc.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 03:50 PM

We just made the trip over Thanksgiving. Third time I'd been there (that I remember), but first for my girlies and nieces. I won't post pix, because mine look pretty much like yours! Family has it crossed off the bucket-list, though!
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 06:51 PM

The canyon is one big hole!

In my younger days I hiked it 2 times, first time Kabab trail, second time Bright Angel trail-- The only way to see and comprehend to size of the canyon.

Recomend hiking in spring or fall, it is very hot at the bottom..110 plus in summer.

Do not recomend the mules...on the way down the rider continully sides forward, on the way up the rider slides backwards...get the picture? It considerably more than saddle sores.

Also visit north rim and Jacob's Lake for the view

SDM
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 10:05 PM

May I ride with you someday, Pomp?

What extraordinary beauty. Thank you so much for this share.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 10:22 PM

I hiked down to Phantom Ranch in my late 20's. What I reall most is how soothing it was to look at the cottonwoods down at the bottom.

The heat and all those warm colors just burned my eyes without me being aware of it. Then we finally reached the ranch and I just sat with my feet in the creek and stared blankly at those lime green leaves. Sooooo good.

We had a pancake meal and next morning, at the crack of dawn, headed back up.

Nothing like it. One of the true wonders of our planet.

There are some hog rainbows in that canyon.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 07:20 AM

Anyone been to or stay at El Tovar in the late 1940's or early 1950's ?

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2012 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Anyone been to or stay at El Tovar in the late 1940's or early 1950's ?

````````````````````````
I was a guest on two different occasions in the mid 1950s.

SDM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.