Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: San Pedro Martir/ Valle Chico CANYONS
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Correct me if wrong, but isn't HETCH HETCHY one of the main reservoirs serving the Bay area's water needs??? Yes, a beautiful canyon lost to a reservoir, but the alternatives would have been incredibly expensive, and not nearly as effective in supplying a reliable source of water----------man needs things (like water??) and there are priorities, and we do have Yosemite Vally somewhat perserved for the people to enjoy.

I think that David Brower was the one that turned me totally sour on the "Club", changed it's direction, and lost me forever.

But I get your point, Diane------but have different priorities, I suppose.

Barry

You are correct---water for the bay area. And yes, you do understand---different priorities and different opinions, but that does not make either one of us real or not real ex members of the Sierra Club or the speakers of truth with a capital T.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 04:48 PM

Well Diana, I was a "real" member of the Club, and I always speak the "truth" (as I see it, and remember it, of course) :lol:

-------and I still think the SPM is great, and I like it the way it is (not locked up---much), and I love the maps that David posts--------all else is forgiven, and nobody offends me. :lol::lol::lol:

----and I am outta here. (for now) :yes:

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 04:48 PM

David,

Read it again, and again----you brought the politics into your thread.

Barry has an OPINION and did NOT prove anything and he understands the difference between OPINION and Truth. For him, I have respect and respect his difference of opinion.

Larana

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 05:19 PM

FYI. Quadded into Berrendo on January 10 and the entrance to Berrendo Canyon is now fenced off.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 05:38 PM

There has been a secure fence across Barrendo up near the corrals about one and a half miles up stream from the "cross over" road between Canyon Parral and Carricitos for many years. We always parked there and walked up. Have they moved the fence, or is there another fence now down by the cross-over road???

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
There has been a secure fence across Barrendo up near the corrals about one and a half miles up stream from the "cross over" road between Canyon Parral and Carricitos for many years. We always parked there and walked up. Have they moved the fence, or is there another fence now down by the cross-over road???

Barry

Last was in Berrando on New Years 2006... and then there was no fence, no corral, just white sand to where the rocks stopped your truck, and the hike begins:

Here is driving back out of Berrendo towards the Carricitos/ Parral road:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 05:55 PM

Wow!!!!!! there was no "corral" up on the bench to the left as you drove in, maybe 1/4 mile down stream from where the rocks stopped you?? It had to be a BIG flood if that was all taken out----that corral was OLD!!!! The "fence" was just downstream from the corral and at right angles to the wash stopping all access further upstream. It was a VERY well made and secure fence, with a locked gate-------similar to the one across Parral Canyon where the cross-over road intersected the wash. The Corral was about where the blue palms started on either side of the main channel of Berrendo.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Wow!!!!!! there was no "corral" up on the bench to the left as you drove in, maybe 1/4 mile down stream from where the rocks stopped you?? It had to be a BIG flood if that was all taken out----that corral was OLD!!!! The "fence" was just downstream from the corral and at right angles to the wash stopping all access further upstream. It was a VERY well made and secure fence, with a locked gate-------similar to the one across Parral Canyon where the cross-over road intersected the wash. The Corral was about where the blue palms started on either side of the main channel of Berrendo.

Barry

Never noticed it Barry on either my April, 2004 trip or my January, 2006 trip. Both times we turned up Arroyo Berrendo from the Parral road, south of Carricitos... as seen on my 2004 map.

There is an older road that is shown on other maps that is more inland, to the west of the current road... is looked pretty much worn out.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 06:31 PM

It's gotta be a flood that changed things since I was there----------amazing!!!!

----but now this other new poster says there is a fence again--------really curious where that fence is, and if you can go thru it on up Berrendo??? Maybe he will answer.

By the way, looking at your handdrawn map again, it looks like the fence and corrals I was talking about were about 2-1/2 miles up Berrendo from the cross-over road to Parral Canyon, not the 1-1/2 miles said before by me----- Maybe even 2-3/4 miles up canyon just short (1/4 mile) of the end of the road where all the boulders blocked you .

Oh well, not important. (but sure has me curious) :lol:

Barry

[Edited on 1-19-2012 by Barry A.]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 06:40 PM

Probably another marijuana farm? They move from canyon to canyon... each that has running water and a bench to plant their 'cilantro' crop on... Agua Caliente, Parral have both been used for pot. You can see the drip tubing chopped up by the army... AFTER the crop has been harvested. LOL

Remember when Lorenzo de Baja and I hiked up Agua Caliente on New Years Eve 2001 and found the farmers working the ground for the future planting? Here are the pictures: http://www.vivabaja.com/baja_2001/page2.html

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 07:09 PM

David---------

At least you realized what was going on in Agua Caliente--------when my Lawyer-son and cop-me camped at the spring for 3 days we did not even know the danger (?) we were in by never seeing the "crop" which must have been less than 300 yards down canyon from our camp. We even got visited by the "farmers" in the middle of the night, and STILL did not realize what was going on--------thank Gawd for my son's BIG stealthy german shepard which kept the "farmers" at bay with one bark. (a scary "one bark") :spingrin:

Pretty funny!!! (not) :lol::lol::lol:

Adventures in Baja!!!!

Barry
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
It's gotta be a flood that changed things since I was there----------amazing!!!!

----but now this other new poster says there is a fence again--------really curious where that fence is, and if you can go thru it on up Berrendo??? Maybe he will answer.

By the way, looking at your handdrawn map again, it looks like the fence and corrals I was talking about were about 2-1/2 miles up Berrendo from the cross-over road to Parral Canyon, not the 1-1/2 miles said before by me----- Maybe even 2-3/4 miles up canyon just short (1/4 mile) of the end of the road where all the boulders blocked you .

Oh well, not important. (but sure has me curious) :lol:

Barry

[Edited on 1-19-2012 by Barry A.]

In 1997 Hurricane Nora really cleaned out Berrendo...I was there in 1994 then in 1998 and it was amazing how much faster you could walk up the canyon after it being scoured...I have vague recollections of the corral, but nothing helpful here:lol: I sure hope Berrendo isn't closed---though we did find remains of drip tubing systems up in the "Bowl" in 1998.
Larana

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 08:36 AM

The fence is about half a mile downstream from where the rocks stopped the vehicles. There is a gate above the arroyo but we did not try to get through and it would be very difficult for anything but foot passage or a quad. Another friend had been out a few days earlier and no fence but the rancher nearby had a load of ocotillo sticks ready to go. David K, we explored these canyons with you along with Baja Lou a few years ago.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 11:42 AM

Thanks, Larana. What you describe sounds very much like what we encountered years ago, and at probably the same location------but minus the "corral". (washed our, probably)

Interesting. Thanks, again.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Larana
The fence is about half a mile downstream from where the rocks stopped the vehicles. There is a gate above the arroyo but we did not try to get through and it would be very difficult for anything but foot passage or a quad. Another friend had been out a few days earlier and no fence but the rancher nearby had a load of ocotillo sticks ready to go. David K, we explored these canyons with you along with Baja Lou a few years ago.

OK cool... here are the photos of that trip: http://vivabaja.com/404

Bug
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life can not get better than this!

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:53 PM

Sorry to give bad news, was in the canyon Berrendo has a new fence so you can't go into the canyon all the way, like you use to..

Canyon Esperanza has a new fence also.

Sorry to share the bad news.
Bug
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life can not get better than this!

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 04:56 PM

I did hike in El Cajon last season, about 2 1/2 hours hike pass the water fall. Came across many writings on the rocks. The writings are on the right hand going into the canyon.

We are hoping to hike it again this season..
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 05:41 PM

Thank you Bug for the update... Thankfully, things change and next year the fence may be gone... one flash flood will do it, too. I am glad at least I got to see it and take some photos so others who were not able to go can enjoy a small sample of the beauty hidden inside these canyons.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 08:19 AM

Bruce Barber's book cover and ordering info... excellent details on the canyons and other area geology: http://community-2.webtv.net/boojum1/barber/

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 11:12 AM

David- I just looked thru your maps and read the entries on this subject. I love those old maps and charts, they stimulate some great memories as do the stories. Barry was right, I was one of the many, like him, to climb around those canyons in the '50's. I have a vivid memory of hiking up Diablo Canyon with Bud Bernhard, Becky McShea (sp?) and others . When we encountered the waterfall and the big pool of water, it was necessary to swim across and hike up along the waterfall to proceed. We had to belay our packs up and over the pool and waterfall. Fortunatly we had some good mountaineering people along with us. We continued up the canyon, made a base camp and climed the mountain the next day. These days I fly over that area on approach to San Felipe, but don't get close enough to see that waterfall, but we do see many of those Blue Palms you wrote about in other canyons. Also took some great trips with the Sierra Club people on the west side, hiking around the forest and meadows. All great stuff!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.