Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Pedro Martir/ Valle Chico CANYONS
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
David- I just looked thru your maps and read the entries on this subject. I love those old maps and charts, they stimulate some great memories as do the stories. Barry was right, I was one of the many, like him, to climb around those canyons in the '50's. I have a vivid memory of hiking up Diablo Canyon with Bud Bernhard, Becky McShea (sp?) and others . When we encountered the waterfall and the big pool of water, it was necessary to swim across and hike up along the waterfall to proceed. We had to belay our packs up and over the pool and waterfall. Fortunatly we had some good mountaineering people along with us. We continued up the canyon, made a base camp and climed the mountain the next day. These days I fly over that area on approach to San Felipe, but don't get close enough to see that waterfall, but we do see many of those Blue Palms you wrote about in other canyons. Also took some great trips with the Sierra Club people on the west side, hiking around the forest and meadows. All great stuff!

Those were great times for sure, Vince.

The "Becky McShea" you refer to is my Mom's sister, Becky McSheehy, and she was EVERYWHERE in the SPM's back in those days and over the years (deceased in 1995).

I love all those canyons, all different, and each has stuff to see and explore, and I think I have been in all of them over the years. Sorry to hear that "Burro Bob" apparently is no longer at Cajon Canyon!?!?!?

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 04:43 PM

Thank you Vince for adding that... and Barry for confirming Aunt Becky!

This is all great stuff, and like the maps we drew over the years of travels, I ask that you please write down the memories of your early days in Baja as a treasure of history and knowledge to share... like the story above... priceless!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
David- I just looked thru your maps and read the entries on this subject. I love those old maps and charts, they stimulate some great memories as do the stories. Barry was right, I was one of the many, like him, to climb around those canyons in the '50's. I have a vivid memory of hiking up Diablo Canyon with Bud Bernhard, Becky McShea (sp?) and others . When we encountered the waterfall and the big pool of water, it was necessary to swim across and hike up along the waterfall to proceed. We had to belay our packs up and over the pool and waterfall. Fortunatly we had some good mountaineering people along with us. We continued up the canyon, made a base camp and climed the mountain the next day. These days I fly over that area on approach to San Felipe, but don't get close enough to see that waterfall, but we do see many of those Blue Palms you wrote about in other canyons. Also took some great trips with the Sierra Club people on the west side, hiking around the forest and meadows. All great stuff!

Those were great times for sure, Vince.

The "Becky McShea" you refer to is my Mom's sister, Becky McSheehy, and she was EVERYWHERE in the SPM's back in those days and over the years (deceased in 1995).

I love all those canyons, all different, and each has stuff to see and explore, and I think I have been in all of them over the years. Sorry to hear that "Burro Bob" apparently is no longer at Cajon Canyon!?!?!?

Barry

Becky McSheehy----that was a name I heard quite often in the Myron Smith "regaling" stories. What a time you must have had!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 07:57 PM

Yes, good times Mexitron!!! Unfortunately, I was away at College when my Mom and Aunt Becky drove a VW bus to Cabo San Lucas and back over a months period, in the late '50's (or maybe early '60's?)---------that was an adventure that I was not able to do on my own until after the "pavement" went in-------a huge regret. Becky and Myron were great compadres, I know. I was only able to make one trip with Myron------into Agua Caliente Canyon, and Berrendo, Carrizo, and Parral way back in the early '60's on a trip lead by Bud Bernhard (Sierra Club trip). Myron was the best!!!

Barry
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 10:09 PM
Fab!

Hi David and thanks for this fabulous stuff! I love the way you have put together these things about one of my favorite places on Earth! Makes me wanna get there very soon!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2012 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Vergel
Hi David and thanks for this fabulous stuff! I love the way you have put together these things about one of my favorite places on Earth! Makes me wanna get there very soon!

It's in your (other) back yard, my friend! :cool:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 12:18 AM

While I have seen some or all of what can be seen in Matomi, Parral, Berrendo, Carrizo, Agua Caliente and Cajon... there is both more in those canyons to see plus the others I have not been into: Cardonal, Rubi, Barroso, Oso, En Medio, Toledo, Tulare...

So much Baja... so little time!:cool:

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
While I have seen some or all of what can be seen in Matomi, Parral, Berrendo, Carrizo, Agua Caliente and Cajon... there is both more in those canyons to see plus the others I have not been into: Cardonal, Rubi, Barroso, Oso, En Medio, Toledo, Tulare...

So much Baja... so little time!:cool:

Indeed! Just think of the upper reaches of all those canyons too---lots to be seen up in the mid-level elevation of those canyons I'd imagine...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 01:13 PM

Bud Berhard hiked ancient trails to the top of both Cajon and Agua Caliente, connecting up with trails to the Martir Mission site, as I remember-----some BIG country up those canyons!!!

I have been up a little ways in all the ones mentioned here, plus Rubi, Enmedio, el barroso, and the unnamed canyon south of La Providencia (& Pico del Diablo). It is the more spectacular of those "lesser canyons", but you cannot get up it too far as it is really rough--(with ropes yes, but normal hiking NO). I don't remember anything special about the other lesser canyons. Bud tried to climb El Pichacho del Diablo from the canyon just south of la Providencia (& the peak), but don't think he was ever able to locate a route that was feasible without ropes, but could be wrong on that. The names and canyons get kinda confusing in this area on the maps------different maps showing different names and locations------really confusing, at least to me. I have several hand-drawn maps that Bud prepared and gave me, but even they are confusing, and hard to tie in with the Baja Atlas maps, and even the "official" Mexican topos in many cases. The names have changed a lot over the years on the maps of the lesser canyons-----the main canyons have remained the same, however.

Barry
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 04:13 PM
Time spent on the canyon list

The list is for the canyons on the east side of Sierra San Pedro Martir

Attachment: Canyon list.docx (15kB)
This file has been downloaded 201 times
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2019 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The list is for the canyons on the east side of Sierra San Pedro Martir

Thanks, Paul... looks like you and I have the same desire to demystify things? That's like what I did with the spelling of names used by the missionaries, etc.
When Percebu was first shown on a map, it was spelled Persebu... minor stuff sometimes but it is good to have standardization. :light:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.