Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Remember the old 500?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 09:21 AM
Remember the old 500?

Jigmaster that is,many or most bought this reel as thier first reel to get after those big fish:lol:

Bet many of you still have one or more of these reels today,I only have one today but in the past I never had less than two,bought my first in 1960 for 13.50$:lol:Penn started building the reel in 59 so mine was one of the first on the market.

It came with two plastic spools and a quick take apart feature,4=1 gear ratio,what will they think of next:lol:

With a little practice you could throw a anchovy or sardine far enough to get the job done,I then discovered jig fishing and never looked back,there was a problem with the early models:lol: they would blow up in your hands, the side plates would fly off,the spool would implode and hundreds of yds of line would form this monster that would get bigger and bigger:o

If the line didn,t break by then you could bet it would any second,it was always good for a laugh from your buddies,this went on for a while then penn got a metal spool which was a little better it just took longer for the explosion to take place.

The big spinners way back were trash the so the 500,s had little competion,people are still catching alot of fish with their 500,s today and they only cost 60$.

Any body have a story about their 500?
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 09:29 AM

funny you should ask.

a couple of years ago Bia, Paul and I were fishing with Juan and Juan Carlos up north of Asuncion. we were doing real well on the 15-20 pound YFT and decided to go drop iron for some yellowtail. on one of my drops a 35 pound YFT grabbed the sinking iron and took of. i snapped that Jigmaster into gear and BOOM, just like you said, except mine locked up and the fish almost pulled the rod from my grasp. the line never snapped and after a minute of confusion Juan Carlos handlined that fish straight to the gaff. an EPIC performance!!!

i still have that reel sitting on a shelf somewhere.....

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 10:16 AM

I still have a couple of them------mainly because I never knew that they "blow up". :lol:

I must admit that I have not used them in years, tho.

Barry
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 10:47 AM

Yep that was my 1st salt water reel. I bought it 30 yrs ago on special at big 5. I still loan it to friends once in a while with the last time catching a 60lb dorado.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 11:01 AM

im gonna buy one. soon as my long beach wears out.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 11:18 AM

I had three Long Bch reels a 60,67and a 68,I think they have been around longer than the 500.

I forgot the drags in the early models real laughers had to change them often.

Made a trip to Guadalupe is 63 seemed like everyone had a 500 several did not make it home.

I think we need to get back to the basics,we have taken some of the hunt out of it,GPS,sonar,braided line,two speed reels,but toys are fun:lol:

Remember TxLxP=S

Timing X Location X Presentation = Sucess

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 01:10 PM

I remember my first look at a transmission on a boat out of Long Bch,I was watching this guy jig fishing and the speed the jig was going,I asked him " how could a fish ever catch that thing" he said no problem,kept me eye on him and sure enough he,s hooked up minutes later,big long handle don,t remember the reel.

They were very popular for a time I couldn't afford one,was able to do pretty good with the straight 500.
Rob

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 01:20 PM

They made transmissions for other reels also if I remember right,saw one on a Long BCH 68 and a couple of Squidders,a long time ago:rolleyes:
Rob

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 04:22 PM

I suppose I never loved any reel as much as the 500. It was one of the first things I ever bought with money I had earned. I used it at the piers, at the barge, on the party boats. It went everywhere.

If you knew what you were doing it was really easy to maintain. I guess it's a reel that defines a generation of so cal fishermen.

Anyway, I bought the external transmission for the reel and didn't like it. The reel lost all it's beautiful balance and harmony. It felt like a wench in my hands. It just wasn't fun any longer.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 04:46 PM

still have 2 of the 500'sand 2 surfmasters (Whistler), a newel, and others left over from my folks from years ago.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 05:02 PM

Still have a couple of them and even use them on ocassion. They have both been upgraded with Tiburon frames, accurate side plates and handles. Here is one that my son's friend used to catch this sail on our last trip to Loreto. I asked him to use a little larger reel when the sailfish were around. If he had listened we would have had a double that morning. I had spotted a second sail and was moving the boat slowly into casting range for my son. Just before my son could let his mackeral fly this one took off and I had to chase it down.

[Edited on 1-21-2012 by Alan]

sailfish [1600x1200].jpg - 50kB

In Memory of E-57
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 05:06 PM

Another reel I liked back then was the 501 same but smaller,loved using it for albacore,another was a old black 6/0 again the drag needed help often,started getting fancy about then and got a couple red 4/0,s,I traded a small generator for the 6/0:lol:.

About that time I started making up my own blanks,Truline and Fenwick were favorites,and rods you guys probably never seen ,long Calcutta cane rods 10' or longer,guys used these for Bat ray and shark fishing,miss all that stuff,I,m down from all that to catching planters in shallow lakes:rolleyes:
Rob

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 06:11 PM

The rod I felt most attached to was a "Quick Reflexe Rod". It's still there somewhere in the garage. I caught so many fish with that thing. The early 60's party boat trips at Ensenada. Fly lining live squid at Pt Banda was really great for big calicos on that rod.

Oh well, we're all more sophisticated now. But you can't bring back the exhiliration of youth.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Oh well, we're all more sophisticated now. But you can't bring back the exhiliration of youth.

statement of the year, so far!

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 08:41 PM

I grew up fishing the 500s in Morro Bay (Cayucas). I must have a dozen or so, and like others, some are tricked out with frames and side plates. A few years ago I picked up this 3/0 Penn 112H Senator. I've not broken this reel down but I'm guessing it's got the same size drags as the 500? I passed up buying a 2/0 Senator and now wish I had.
[img][/img]
[img]http://[/img]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 09:00 PM

the old 500 in action... note the puple rapala that YFT almost completely INHALED!!!!:light:

rsz_1100_5429.jpg - 37kB

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 09:02 PM

the biggie that killed the 500. note the abundance of line from Juan Carlos handlining that brute from the depths.

i sure hope the tuna return this summer. very good times and better eating.....

rsz_1100_5430.jpg - 39kB

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 10:24 PM

Glenn,

My dad wouldn't fish salt any other way than a handline. Sometimes those bonito would cut his hands real bad. That 20lb line was too thin for handlining bonito.

He told me that before monofilament appeared they would tie strands of horsehair end to end. I've never heard that from anyone else. Although it's my understanding that cat gut was used as leader material by flyfishermen in this country before mono appeared.

A lot of guys have fond memories about the ritual of fishing. Getting up at 4:30 and setting up before the sun appeared. I don't do that any more and didn't raise my kid that way. But I liked it. It added mystery to the day's enterprise.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 06:26 AM

Igor cat gut was the hot set up in the sweet water when I was a kid,yes we used it for leader material,dry it was hard and had alot of memory soft it just laid there,had to be careful with your knots,never forget the old man and his trolling outfit:lol:big old narrow reel of some kind full of white cuttyhunk line probably 100# test and catgut leader trolling for rainbows or the same rig with steel monel line trolling for Mackinaw as they were called then but Lake Trout today.

I used hand lines as a kid through the ice,funny thing they had laws that said its ok to catch white fish but you can,t catch rainbows through the ice? like you could pick and chose?

The next best thing to catchin is talking fishing and the old days.
Rob

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2012 at 09:46 AM

ahh, the "old" days. i refer to them days as "the last good outing!"

:lol::no::P:light::wow:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.