Author: Subject: Remember the old 500?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

lol.gif posted on 8-30-2018 at 04:31 PM
a little slow in here

Had fun with this one why not again.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2018 at 04:58 PM

Smaller test mono had a nasty habit of getting between the side plates on a 500. Anything less than 40 would always punk me.

And that dang quick side plate release knob.

More than once....the side plate would just come loose and fall off.

Upgraded to a Squidder with ball bearings...much smoother and cast better......but at 3.xx to 1 retrieve, it was a bunch of cranking for not much line gain. Too slow for iron.

The narrow Squidder was my reel of choice for near shore live bait angling adventures off San Diego.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 05:04 AM

BOY!!!! You guys nailed this one! What a great thread! Thanks with big grin on my face. I bought my first rig from a lil shop in Long Island NY. Bamboo Stubby with some kind of knuckle buster on it, 1953 I think..Wish I could do it all over...

[Edited on 8-31-2018 by chuckie]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 07:22 AM

And harken back to the old days.......

A 500 was heralded as trail blazing FAST retrieve at 4.1.

Supplanted now with some at 7.1, AND actually two speeds at the push of a button......

Damn we're old.

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 08:24 AM

The first reel my dad gave me was his old Penn 505 high speed. I didn't really know what I was doing back then, but caught a ton of yellowtail on that reel. Still have it in my collection somewhere...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 09:06 AM

This was it's weak point in my opinion. Once these teeth developed nicks the gear would seize and the reel would freeze, or just skip. Either way it was useless. I carried a spare in my tackle box.

If you let a large fish run in free spool (as you're supposed to do) and then through it into gear while the fish is going full bore, then you can damage that pinion. The old ones looked like they were made of brass or something.

s-l1600_resize.jpg - 104kB

[Edited on 8-31-2018 by Skipjack Joe]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
This was it's weak point in my opinion. Once these teeth developed nicks the gear would seize and the reel would freeze, or just skip. Either way it was useless. I carried a spare in my tackle box.

yup, pinion gear was even weaker on the 505's. I still have two tiburon framed jigmasters that have far outlived everything else, well except for the Newell's
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2018 at 10:54 AM

In all fairness to the once vaunted 500, they were not designed to battle the big brutes. For those it was up to the "ought" class.

More of a medium duty reel for the times, and with the high speed model a revolution in iron chucking.

Sure, they have and still land a brute from time to time, with the common use of 40 lb line...most of us can attest to that.

Now the trend is to a smaller and smaller reel, with powerful drags and Spectra....even to target those infrequent brutes.

Sparetimewanted
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2018 at 09:13 PM

Great thread. I got my first 500 with my Mom's green chip stamps! Circa 1969. Bought a second one for 10.95. Still use them. I joke with the tackle store guys that overtime I get new line, the line costs more than I paid for the reels.

I kayak fish a lot and I don't want a $400 reel out there and through the surf. Just change the drag washers every year and they are awesome.

Caught my first marlin from the back of a sailboat on a 500 with 30# test. Love those reels! 501 was great, 140 not so much due to the retrieve ratio.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.