BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Op-Ed: Why are Canadians still flocking to Mexico?
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 08:56 AM
Op-Ed: Why are Canadians still flocking to Mexico?

By Arthur Weinreb

Sheila Nabb, who was found badly beaten in an elevator in a five star hotel, is just the latest Canadian to become a victim of violent crime while staying in a luxurious Mexican resort.
Sheila and Andrew Nabb left winter in Calgary behind and flew south last Thursday. Early Friday morning, Sheila, bloodied and badly beaten, was found in an elevator of the Hotel Rui Emerald Bay in Mazatlan.

The 37-year-old health care manager is now in a medically induced coma at a Mazatlan hospital. Her uncle, Robert Prosser, was quoted in the Vancouver Sun as saying,
It could be a month before she is fit to return to Calgary for further treatment. They're going to have to wire her jaw shut, put plates in where her cheeks were and lots of reconstructive surgery.

According to Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, 112 Canadians lost their lives in Mexico through accidents, murders, or suicides during the last five years.

There is no doubt Mexico is an extremely violent country. It is one thing if a Canadian travels to or lives in an area where drug cartels battle for control and murders are an everyday occurrence. It is quite another when tourists like Nabb become victims of violent crime within the confines of luxury resorts.

On the morning of Nov. 14, 2010, a blast ripped through the Grand Riviera Princess Hotel in Playa del Carmen. Five Canadian tourists and two Mexican employees were killed.
After the explosion, various theories were put forward as to the cause of the blast. After an investigation, it was determined that a gas pipeline had been extended to underneath the area of the hotel's lounge. The extension was not only unauthorized but illegal.

A Canadian who had left the hotel before the explosion told CBC Radio that he "smelled some sort of gas the whole time he was there."

If anything should have made Canadians think twice about visiting Mexico, it was the murders of Dominic and Nancy Ianiero.

The Woodbridge, Ontario couple were in Mexico with several family members to attend the wedding of their daughter. They were staying at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, a five star hotel near Cancun.

On Feb. 20, 2006, their bodies were discovered in their hotel room. Their throats had been slashed. But the Mexican authorities acted quickly and came up with suspects.

Later on the day the bodies were discovered, police announced they were looking for two Canadian women. Blood of the victims was supposedly found in their room which was possible as the women walked passed the Ianieros' room when there had been blood in the hallway. And, they had "fled the country" the day after the murders. Actually their vacation was over and they returned home on their scheduled flight.

Mexican authorities asked the Canadian police to investigate and they did, although no one in Canada seriously believed they had anything to do with the murders. The Canadian media even jokingly dubbed the two from Thunder Bay, Ontario, "the killer moms." Yet the two women went through hell, having to hire a lawyer while police at least superficially investigated them. They were eventually cleared but not before then Mexican president Vincente Fox got in on the act and said they were the killers.

Although other suspects have been named, there have been no arrests and the murders remain unsolved.

Despite what seems like a rash of violent crimes, not just in Mexico but in five star hotels where tourists expect to be safe, Canadians still go to the country in droves. In 2010, 1.6 million Canadians visited Mexico; double the number that went five years ago, a year before the Ianieros went to attend a wedding and ended up being brutally murdered.

Yes, Canadian winters are harsh and Mexico is relatively cheap. But there are other southern destinations that appear to provide protection to tourists, at least when they are in their five star hotels. How many people will have to end up like Nabb or the Ianieros before Canadians decide that a Mexican vacation is too risky?

If enough tourists stayed away, perhaps Mexico would be forced to better protect the country's tourists.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/318386
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 09:13 AM

Do the math:

In 2010, there were five suspicious deaths and two murders of Canadians in Mexico. (See below from National Post)

In your cited article above, 1.6 Canadians visited Mexico in 2010

7 / 1,600,000 = .0000043

Maybe Candians in Mexico aren't as intimated as this writer (and you, maybe) think they should be.

"According to Foreign Affairs Canada, 112 Canadians have been killed in accidents, murders, drownings or suicides since Mexico started an aggressive war against its various drug cartels in Feb. 2006. From that number, 15 Canadians were murdered or died in suspicious deaths.

Nov. 14, 2010: An explosion at a Cancun resort kills five Canadians and two employees. Seventeen people were reported injured. Mexican authorities say that the explosion was caused by an accumulation of natural gas beneath the hotel, however a spokesperson from Mexico’s environment ministry said that this was unlikely.

Oct. 30, 2010: Daniel Dion of Ottawa disappeared during a business trip on Oct. 22. Dissatisfied with the Canadian consulate and local police, Mr. Dion’s relatives decided to start their own search for Mr. Dion. His family and found the 51-year-old’s body in the trunk of a car that had been torched near Acapulco. They had used the vehicle’s GPS to locate the sight. Mexican police confirmed that he had been kidnapped."

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by danaeb]

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 09:21 AM

I feel stupid for even hitting "reply" to this topic.

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by ateo]

Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 10:08 AM

Look at the thermometer at this time of year.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 10:09 AM
thank you, eh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you, chuck levitin.

always good to know you are thinking about our neighbors to the north!
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 10:14 AM

Your altruism knows no boundries! Now the Canadians can be saved also!!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Do the math:

In 2010, there were five suspicious deaths and two murders of Canadians in Mexico. (See below from National Post)

7 / 1,600,000 = .0000043

Maybe Candians in Mexico aren't as intimated as this writer (and you, maybe) think they should be.

You know, Daneb, I fully realize that many people who use this message board are not highly educated. I am not holding it against you. There are some very highly educated people here who are absolute dolts when it comes to anything that requires using your brain. Take Professor Tim Meixner, PhD. for instance. He posts here as mtgoat666. Let me show you, if I may, how far off you and Professor Mexiner are in understanding the numbers.

Let us take it for granted that only 7 Canadians were murdered in Mexico in 2010. Let us also take it for granted that 1.6 million Canadians visited Mexico in 2010. OK? Are you with me so far?

Now, we have to consider that those Canadians went down there for a vacation. The typical vacation in Mexico lasts one week. So, in order to determine the equivalent fulltime population of Canadians in Mexico, we have to divide 1.6 million by the 52-weeks in a year.

1,600,000/52 = 30,769. So there were 30,769 fulltime equivalent Canuckians in Mexico in 2010.

Homicide rates are reported as homicides per 100,000. The homicide rate in Canada is 1.9 per 100,000. That is to say, there are 1.9 homicides in Canada for every 100,000 FULL TIME CANUCKS living in Canada.

Now let us compute the homicide rate for Canadians in Mexico:

7/(30,769/100,000) = 22.75 per 100,000. So, now that the numbers have been laid out so that even a PhD. professor in geology could understand them, you can see that Canadians when in Mexico are murdered at a rate that is 12 TIMES GREATER than when they are at home in Canada.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 11:44 AM

Wondering why someone who 'hates' Mexico so much is on a Baja travel web site to try and 'fear' away travelers to Mexico? Is it a mission you are on to punish the people of Mexico by reducing the tourist dollars coming south? Aren't there Mexico hate forums you would be better received at?

I suppose there are some Baja Nomads who like what you are doing, as they like keeping the peninsula just to themselves... less is best, etc. ? However, there is plenty of Baja for all Nomads to enjoy and bring their friends and family, too. It is God's gift to us, the Baja Peninsula... a magic place.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 11:52 AM

What makes it worst it that this people are on vacation in resort areas that should be a lot safer than other more populated areas of the country, not good news for Mexico!
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 01:29 PM

Ah yes, but...
At any given moment a person standing occupies app. 1 square foot of space.
If 1.6 million people occupy 1.6 million square ft. at a given moment
and 7 people occupying 7 square ft. at another moment,
with 100% of the people dying in that 7 square ft.,
then the other 1,599,993 square ft. are totally safe.
I say stay away from that 7 square ft. in Mexico and you should be doing ok.

I spaced it out so it was easier to understand for the idiots who just don't get it.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 01:32 PM

It is said we only use a fraction of the ability of our brains.
That means I have enough brains for all of us
stop worrying.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
It is said we only use a fraction of the ability of our brains.
That means I have enough brains for all of us
stop worrying.

My Gawd....you're pushing the "troll" buttons. :?:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 01:52 PM
Ô Canada! Terre de nos aïeux, Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano
Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Do the math:

7 / 1,600,000 = .0000043

You know, Daneb, I fully realize that many people who use this message board are not highly educated. I am not holding it against you. There are some very highly educated people here who are absolute dolts when it comes to anything that requires using your brain. Take Professor Tim Meixner, PhD. for instance. He posts here as mtgoat666. Let me show you, if I may, how far off you and Professor Mexiner are in understanding the numbers.

Let us take it for granted that only 7 Canadians were murdered in Mexico in 2010. Let us also take it for granted that 1.6 million Canadians visited Mexico in 2010. OK? Are you with me so far?

Now, we have to consider that those Canadians went down there for a vacation. The typical vacation in Mexico lasts one week. So, in order to determine the equivalent fulltime population of Canadians in Mexico, we have to divide 1.6 million by the 52-weeks in a year.

1,600,000/52 = 30,769. So there were 30,769 fulltime equivalent Canuckians in Mexico in 2010.

Homicide rates are reported as homicides per 100,000. The homicide rate in Canada is 1.9 per 100,000. That is to say, there are 1.9 homicides in Canada for every 100,000 FULL TIME CANUCKS living in Canada.

Now let us compute the homicide rate for Canadians in Mexico:

7/(30,769/100,000) = 22.75 per 100,000. So, now that the numbers have been laid out so that even a PhD. professor in geology could understand them, you can see that Canadians when in Mexico are murdered at a rate that is 12 TIMES GREATER than when they are at home in Canada.

yes, all well and good, but
william shatner was born in canada,
each canadian eats an average of 190 eggs/year,
there are an estimated 830,000 moose in canada, and
i don't have a phd
eh?

p.s. if 1.6M canadians visited mexico in 2010, then that was 4.7% of the population of canada (given canadas population is 34 million -- i read it on the internet, it must be true)

p.p.s. The USA was by far the number one choice of places for Canadians to visit, followed by the United Kingdom and Mexico.
Top 10 Countries Visited by Canadians
Country of origin, Nights Spent, (thousands)
United States, 130,801
United Kingdom, 11,608
Mexico, 11,146
France, 9,287
Cuba, 6,136
Dominican Republic, 5,871
China, 5,452
Italy, 3,836
Germany, 3,526
Netherlands, 2,094
Source: Statistics Canada, Canada at a Glance 2009, 2007 data

Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 01:56 PM

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 02:12 PM

Lets see...
If 1.6 million canucks spent a week average ("The typical vacation in Mexico lasts one week")
then of the 1.6 million weeks or 30, 769 years,
there were 7 bad weeks to be in Mexico.
When drawn to its final numerical conclusion from a time continuim base which Mengano tied into.
there were 49 bad days (the 7 dead at 1 week each) out of 11.2 million days (1.6 million at 7 days each) to be in Mexico for those poor Canucks.
Thats a little bit of high math to me, but me thinks it comes out to less than a second of bad moment for each day in Mexico.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 02:15 PM

I spilt my beer once in Mexico and it took several moments to clean it up.
I think I'm good to go for a life time.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
I spilt my beer once in Mexico and it took several moments to clean it up.
I think I'm good to go for a life time.

was it a Molson?
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 03:05 PM

Annual murder rate: This is why Canadian's don't have a problem with Mexico. I was raised in Texas and spent my young adult years in Houston. I was very close to being murdered several times there and scared all the time.

Atlanta - city, 80 murders. Atlanta MSA (metropolitan statistical area), 325 murders
Baltimore – 238 city, 298 MSA
Boston – 50 city, 111 MSA
Dallas/Ft. Worth – 210 city, 310 MSA
Detroit – 365 city, 447 MSA
Houston – 287 city, 462 MSA
Indianapolis – 100 city, 111 MSA
Jacksonville, FL – 99 city, 120 MSA
Kansas City – 100 city, 163 MSA
Las Vegas – 111 city, 133 MSA
Los Angeles – 312 city, 768 MSA
Miami - 59 city, 377 Miami to Boca Raton corridor
New Orleans – 174 city, 252 MSA
New York City – 471 city, 778 MSA
Orlando – 28 city, 111 MSA
Philadelphia – 302 city, 436 MSA
Phoenix – 122 city, 302 MSA
San Francisco – 45 city, 292 MSA
St. Louis – 143 city, 210 MSA
Washington, DC – 143 city, 325 MSA
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 03:14 PM

Who is this sweet and caring guy Mengano? Fulano?? Were you assaulted in Baja or Mexico? I try not to read much of the negative stuff but I'm curious. Even DavidK makes sense in his opinion. Sorry/not. Tio
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 03:26 PM
homicide in canada

In 2010, police reported 554 homicides in Canada, 56 fewer than the year before. This decline follows a decade of relative stability. The homicide rate fell to 1.62 for every 100,000 population, its lowest level since 1966.

The overall drop in homicides was driven largely by fewer incidents in the western provinces. With 35 fewer homicides in 2010 than in 2009, the rate in British Columbia fell to its lowest point since the mid-1960s. Police in Alberta reported 18 fewer homicides, while those in Manitoba reported 12 fewer.

Despite declines, the highest rates of homicide in 2010 were in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Homicide rates have been generally higher in the western provinces and northern territories than in the eastern part of the country for many decades.

Police in several of the nation's largest census metropolitan areas reported substantially fewer homicides in 2010. The homicide rate in Vancouver, with 25 fewer killings, fell 42% to its lowest level since data in metropolitan areas became available in 1981.

Thunder Bay recorded the highest homicide rate for the second year in a row. The next highest rates were in Saskatoon and Regina.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.