Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to help?!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 07:39 PM
How to help?!

Following the threads on inadequate schools and also the orphanage problems several have privately contacted me concerning how they can help.
Can we put our heads together on this?
Anyone know of a school that could really benefit from some basic supplies?
Years ago we used to take supplies to the school in La Mision, they were greatly appreciated.
I know that Bill and Kaye Lawrence at Santa Marta, south of San Vicente are reliable and have good resource places.
More thoughts???
Specific schools or places?

Thanks
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 07:56 PM
Have you looked into

Agua Viva in Maneadero? Or the schools in Mission San Luis Gonzaga ? San Javier ?
How do you define "really benefit" ?
The schools in the mountains don't have orphaned kids as a problem yet the children are lacking in school supplies and honest as the day is long.
If orphans should be considered the primary concern then the larger cities are where the donations should go as this is where the orphans end up.
All aspects of the education system in Baja is lacking funding, supplies, etc.
I guess it's just a matter of who wants to help who.
Perhaps the major donations should go to building something for these people to do when they grow up. Like building furniture, growing something to eat, or something else that can help themselves, the planet, and their community.
Teach them to fish! :light:
baja Steve
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 9-27-2004 at 08:34 PM

I work with a group of people that spend time from Laguna San Ignacio south to La Purisima. We go to boarding schools both on the pacific and in the mountains. We also go to out of the way ranches and villages in that area also. To the fishing camps we take fishing gear, food, clothes and any thing else that we hear they need. As for the Boarding schools we go to them the week or so before they get out for Christmas, this way we not only get school supplies to them but other items that their families may need, by doing this we can help a lot more people with out traveling so much. One other thing we do is one of us dress up like Santa which the kids love and look forward to each year. When Santa comes we give the girls a gift pack with soap, hand lotion, and a necklace of some kind and a small stuffed toy. The boys get a baseball cap and a couple of other boy things. We will also do anything else that the people need or want if we can. This trip takes about 10 days and when done you are very tired but glad you could make another persons life a little easier. This year we will leave Mulege on about Dec.10th. After this trip we usually spend a few days before Christmas in La Paz helping families and the we are always invited to spend Christmas with local families in La Paz. We Get to Baja the end of Nov. and stay doing volunteer work until the end of Feb. We are always open for
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 12:59 PM
More specifically

JR, you are correct, this needs to be more specific.
You, and others were most helpful when we ran the thread on "Orphanages."
And, I am planning a trip in mid-November to scope out all the suggestions made, and several more as well.
But, folks are privately contacting me on this thread as well as the sad state of schools thread, asking what and where they can help.
Soooooo, if anyone can post the specific name of a school, or school location in Baja that would need, and appreciate, any kind of supplies, please do so.
Then our Nomads can start making slight detours as they proceed Southward.
(Baja is a really long way from Oakdale, which makes it difficult to just drop down for a weekend.....that, however, is the only drawback that I can think of in living here in the shadow of the Yosemite mountains!)
Thanks for all you do for kids of Baja.
By the way, I do not think that this needs to focus on orphans or on disadvantage kids, any school in need is one we can help.

Baja Arriba!!
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 01:29 PM

You can pick any boarding or public schools and they can use any of the following anytime. What we have found is that if you just start going to one school and build a relationship with them and ask what you can do to help them.u2u me if you need more info. Relationships are what it is all about.

Soap for washing floors
Dish soap
Hand soap
Shampoo
Toothpaste
Toothbrushes
Most of them need curtains on windows
Band aids
Bedding

Note books
Pencils
Pencil Sharpeners
Hand held calculators
Back packs
Crayons
Ink pens

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 03:00 PM
Agua Viva in Maneadero

Last time I was there, they had 22 orphaned and non orphaned kids. They do nothing but help the kids, the parents and the community.
I will get the phone number from Arlene, the wonderful lady in charge.
It is located about 2 miles from the highway in Maneadero. Head towards Punta Banda/La Bufadora at the fork in the road at the signal. There are signs.
Take the first main dirt road to the left and go to the third main dirt road intersection. (Not one of the roads leading in from the sides).
Turn right, go up the hill and look for the nicest and only two story house around. Turn right into their driveway and you are there.
If you want to take stuff into the mountains, San Javier has need for things as well as seeds, etc. for Francisca the caretaker of the mission. This is an easy road. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours one way. Very scenic and a fun trip.
If you want to go to Mission San Luis Gonzaga, you can talk to Jose, Karla or just about anyone else there regarding school donations. The schools are right there at the mission.
The folks in San Bartolo although being only 20 minutes from Los Barriles, are in desperate need of school supplies. And selling candy doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore with the costs of school and supplies.
These places are pretty easy to get to in most vehicles.
I generally try to get a little farther back in the hills than San Javier as they already benefit from tourism. I am trying to concentrate on the places that don't really have contact with tourist dollars yet.
These families have traded cheese, carne, leather, etc. for the last 200 years in some cases. Now, many want to send their kids to school now that they are available but most families are lucky if they are able to send one child. Healthy and Wise they are but lacking a third ingredient. $$
If we continue to contribute to these schools and kids we will be seeing some extremely knowledgable individuals coming out of those hills.:light:
And, if anyone wants to send things into the hills with me for these people, I am in Rosarito Beach right off the free road so send me a u2u and drop on by.
I will be making a number of trips again this year as this is an ongoing program.
So far, I haven't heard of any cases of Dengue. Let's knock on wood (or mosquitos) and hope we don't.
And thanks again for all that repellant !
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 06:40 PM
La Yaqui

Has anyone been by the school at La Yaqui this fall. Was wondering what the school needs this year. I havent recived a email from our contact teacher up there this year.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.