Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: THE YUCATAN TRIP - new pics added every evening
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 07:05 PM

so...what a day !! we really packed it in and we are happy and ready to call it a night pretty soon. First we thoroughly enjoyed our orning waking up to the sound of the Carribean RIGHT OUTSIDE THE WINDOW of our hotel room. folks, awesome amazing wonderful fantastic - another word needs to be invented todescribe utter wonder. after a walk and breakfast - we tookoff for TULUM RUINS, only about 30 min from where we were. they are indeed located in one of the most spectacular locations....right at the edge of the carribean in its green and blue splendor....

from there we took off for COBA. this had not even been a consideration til we met the swiss couple who loved it. and til i then read my guide book which said it is awesome. so we went. it entails a LOT of walking so we hired the Mayan limousine to take us hahahaha A guy on a tricycle toodles you to the site, youget off and look - photograph - whatever and then hop back on and continue. very convenient and I loved the rides throught he forest. we also got to hear his story - he graduated highschool. he will not go to college as he hs 7 brothers and he and the okder ones help them to go to middle and high school - uniforms - books - material etc. two of the brothers are married and live out of town. all of them learned Mayan first and then spanish later. he says he will teach his kids Mayan and that he is very proud to be mayan.....I learned some words:

YUUMBOTIK (PRONOUNCED CHUM BOUTIQUE) = THANKS

MIIXBA (MISHVA) = YOU'RE WELCOME

MALAKIM = GOOD MORNING

anyways, I will try to load some photos but I have so many, it is hard to choose !! and my laptop seems to be on molasses today. slooooooow sloooooow sloooow

as you enter tulum - there are tons of arts and crafts for sale:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 07:16 PM

more beautiful handicraft

the cenote here in valladolid - looks gorgeous, the reality is gross and depressing

this iguana guy was at the entrance to tulum - there were also indian dancers in very colorul clothing - those pics are on another camera, so i will post on another day !!

COBA RUINS are in the midst of the forest and huge and rounded

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 07:47 PM

Blanca,

The mongoose you saw was a coatamundi. It's great to hear that they're still around. So much has changed. There was no Tulum City - just the Tulum ruins with a few shops in front. We only saw the coatamundi at night, usually scampering across the road in front of us. They're, and I'm pretty sure of this, related to our raccoons.

Glad you liked Coba but too bad you didn't see the leaf cutter ants (I think I mistakenly called the harvesters). You can see them crossing the trails with sailfin leaves on their backs. Our Golden Gate museum spent big bucks creating an exhibition of them and you had them all at your feet.

[Edited on 2-4-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

coatimundi5b.jpg - 49kB
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 09:29 PM

looks like an AWESOME trip!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 09:53 PM

All I can say is that it has been a number of years since we were in that part of Mexico and your trip report and photos are making us want to head that direction again ----SOON

Thanks

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:25 AM

BajaBlanca, Thanks.:yes:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 06:38 AM

thanks so much Joe for giving a name to the animals ... they are so NOT afraid of humans...Les has other photos which were too huge to downlaod ysterday - one came right up to us

I think we saw those ants at the hotel we were at on the beach - they actually make a huge trail in the sand ..it was just remarkable - again - photos on the other camera

Diana - this was one of the nicest trips - just so much to see no matter what your likes: hiking, running, walking, museums, the architecture, the food, the people, the ruins !!!

today is our last day and we are headed for the beaches again !!! hasta this evening. bye for now.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:01 PM

this is our last full day here - how the heck are we goona be able to fit everything in ???? and we brought an extra suitcase HAHAHA It ain't goona fit. no way. I bought a huge Mexican mariachi hat to donate to the school for all the parades and such ... I think I have to wear it on the plane. ohhhhhh

today was incredible and a perfect way to end the trip. morning to cenote right outside valladolid. we were the first and only ones there. it was magical. the camera would not work right in the cave. so not too many nice pics. there were BATS flying around !! this cenote is illuminted by one light which comes in thru a hole at the top of the cave and no other natural light.

then we went to playa del carmen. how pretty and how expensive. ouch.

so we came here to puerto morelos. it is 30 min south of cancun and we have to be at the airport tomorrow morning to fly home.

this trip has far exceeded any dream I may have had :))))))

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:07 PM

THIS IS WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW:

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:13 PM

I SAW THIS ON CALZADA DE LOS FRAILES IN VALLDOLID OUTSIDE A STORE

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:16 PM

Just in case you were not paying close attention to the first photo - this is what I see at this exact minute

Come visit La Bocana

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:17 PM

And don't forget the joke about the sad husband after they returned.

"You ask how the trip went? Can you imagine. There was nothing but ruins everywhere you looked"

Les. Be brave.
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:23 PM
Awesome!

The Yucatan. Yes! Thank you so very much for the way you show it off! This share is beautiful!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:26 PM

This is the cenote right outside valladolid - no picture we took can do it justice - it is a cave and it is gorgeous

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:29 PM

We bought one of these by the side of the road ..they are for sale everywhere !!!

Come visit La Bocana

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:52 PM

Looks like it has been a wonderful trip.

We have visited Yucatan/ Quintana Roo three times. Our first trip, in 1982 found Playa Del Carmen to be a rickety wood dock adjacent to three buildings. Ah progress.

That said, it is unfortunate that Blanca did not make it over to Isla Mujeres. The main street downtown, and the azure water make it a keeper in my book.

On a different note- Any Yucatan peninsula junkies that live in the LA area, and particularly in the Valley and other communities out the 101 ought to know about my friend Oscar's restaurant, La Paz Mexican Seafood.

You can check it out on their web site. All the delicacies from the region, well done. They are but a 1/2 mile or so South of the 101 on Las Virgenes Road.

What is not stated on the web site is that Oscar was born and raised in Valladolid. Additionally, what he does not mention on his site is that he attended Harvard for awhile, until he decided that he would rather be in the restaurant business.

http://www.oscarslapaz.com/

[Edited on 2-4-2012 by Bajahowodd]
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 05:05 PM

How I love going on vacation with you, Blanca!
Thank you for taking the time for this report.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 05:18 PM

Most enjoyable trip report & photos.

Muchas gracias,
w

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
LisaR.
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

BajaBlanca, is the Coco Tulum? We are staying there in April and just can't get enough glimpses of it!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2015 at 07:47 PM

It was indeed! did you stay there LisaR?

just reread the whole report and still remember every meal, every person I talked to, every shade of blue and green in the ocean, lakes and cenotes.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.