Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lopez Mateos Whale Watching
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 07:58 PM
Lopez Mateos Whale Watching

Went out for whale watching from Lopez today.

Whales everywhere! Right off the dock, in front of the cannery, in every direction, lots and lots of whales.

Mondays and Tuesdays are the slowest, so best viewing days.

Whale festival here ends tonight.

Good life vests, clean boats, incredible experience.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 12:25 AM

I'm hoping to take some friends up from Todos Santos for a whale adventure in a few days. Glad to hear the tours are in good order. Hotels or rental in the area where we could stay?? Thanks, Amiga. Tio
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 06:17 AM

Yes, there are places here in Lopez. All unadvertised on the net.

check your U2U
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 07:56 AM

We were there a couple of years ago for the day and were impressed with the tour boats. All very clean, large pangas, many with new motors. There's a large parking lot near the dock with many seafood restaurants and curio shops. I think RVers can overnight there but I'm not sure. We stayed the night in a RV park in Cd. Constitucion. Also, we're not big fans of dirt roads and were glad it's a short trip from the highway down a road in OK condition.

[Edited on 2-6-2012 by SFandH]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 08:27 AM

thanks for the report Mula...since you seem to be the on site nomad there, is there any chance you could ask someone there for the census stats? It is always interesting to see the dates the lagoons have whales from year to year...thanks.

Something I observed in Mag Bay was that apart from the mom's and calves, this lagoon had alot of "elders" small, skinny old looking whales, with lots of scar tissue, kind of emaciated like a 90 year old might look...maybe it's like a retirement center????

Another very cool thing about this area is that gray whales enjoy surfing at the mouth of the lagoon....ooop, hope I didnt give away a secret spot!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mula
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-6-2012 at 08:39 AM

Yesterday I heard there were anywhere from 90 to 150 whales in the bay here. That's a pretty huge spread. Just that there is a lot of activity here this year.

We saw a few huge old gals with lots of scars and barnacles and many, many moms and calves.

There is RV parking right at the whale watching area. No hook ups, but right there. Get your lawn chair out and watch from land.

Several tail slaps and acrobatics. All very exciting.

The road coming into Lopez was just completely re paved in December, so other than the topes in town, it's smooth sailing down the road.

And lots of good food and curio shops.

You missed the 2 nights of all night music, though. The Grey Whale Festival 2012 is over.

:D
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 08:46 AM

We had a very good whale watching experience at Lopez Mateos back in 2005 and it is very easy access.

One thing that impressed us was that our guide had this long stick which he used to pick up any trash in the water---he would stop when he say something that needed to be removed!

Maybe sometime we will make it that far south again. We no longer have the small trailer we had then so if there are any motels at all, please post about them.

Thank you

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 08:56 AM

There is one year round motel on the same street as the Baja Mar Restaurant.

There are several places with rooms for rent that also mention hot water. These seem to be only open during whale season, as are most of the restaurants.

There are several taco stands open during the day the rest of the year and only the Baja Mar Restaurant is open year'round.

Also MagBay Outfitters has a couple of houses for rent.

Maybe I'll get off my rear today and take some pics of the places for rent.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 09:28 AM

Mula, do they still operate the patrol boat in the lagoon that makes sure whale watchers are respectful to the animals? That is one thing I loved about this lagoon....excellent enforcement of the regs! I wish all the lagoons had that.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula

......The road coming into Lopez was just completely re paved in December, so other than the topes in town, it's smooth sailing down the road......

:D

Yes. A couple of months before whale watching season the road from Insurgentes Morphed from this:

plmbefore.jpg - 48kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 09:51 AM

To this:

Considerable improvements have also been made in the last year on Mex 1 between Loreto and Insurgentes. It is no challenge at all now to get to PLM to watch whales, or whatever......

new road 2.jpg - 39kB
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 11:06 AM

We plan to try Lopez Mateos in March. Mentioned it to a few neighbors and it's evolving in to a neighborhood field trip. Fun!

I recall seeing a Felipe Cousteau TV special with an areal shot of body surfing whales at the entrance to the Bay. Not in my wildest dreams could imagine seeing that in person. Don't want to get too excited- won't be able to sleep...
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 02:36 PM
Lopez today

I think the patrol boat is still around. It is all very regulated here and very strong co-ops.

I went out and took 30 photos of the town of Lopez and the Whale Dock area today.

http://photobucket.com/lopezmateos2012

Dunas have 10 Cabanas, the Posada has 7 rooms and the other places have 5 or so each.

Juana Rosas Murillo Boat Tours
ballenas4@hotmail.com
English: 613 114 0761

www.aquendi.com
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 06:42 AM
sorry about that . . . .

should have checked first. . . . the www.aquendi.com web site is no longer up and running.

Guess the only web site around for Lopez and water photos is http://www.magbayoutfitters.com

Edited for the correct web site address of magbay.

[Edited on 2-7-2012 by Mula]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 12:03 PM

For all those going to LOPEZ MATEOS ... please stop by the high school and donate $10 towards the English books to SIMON (English teacher). His is the school I have chosen to sponsor first ... pens and pencils (average 40 students per class) are fun to give as incentives too ...

be sure to tell him Blanca from La Bocana sent ya or he may think xmas came REALLY early in 2012 hahaha

sorry to hijack a little

Thanks and give those whales a big hello ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 02:51 PM

Thanks Mula. The info and pictures are great! Must have been wet yesterday?! Watch the weather reports, Nomads. Tio
angels4
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 03:23 PM

Hey Blanca!! So you are finally back from the amazing vacation down south. I mailed you my donation for the English books last week when you were enjoying the nice view of Tulum :spingrin:
I mailed it to the SD address you gave me. Hope it made it to your hands already. And again thanks for the great pictures you shared of your trip. (Laura H.V.) ;)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.