Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  83
Author: Subject: Mark & Olivia; Playa Buenaventura
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 09:03 PM

Good on you. Wish I was there to join you.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 09:03 PM

Here's latest post from Mark in case you are not reading his Facebook page.

2/8 @7:30pm

Yesterday, Monday(day 2) men were walking across our estuary with pistols and rifles. Continually challenging us. We made attempts to have the police come and help us get our papers and important items from our house. The police sent me emails that they were going to report me to immigration. Two shots were fired over two Canadian tourists as they left our driveway. Jim Christopher, U.S. Consulate of Mulege came here claiming the officers were upset and that I said I did not trust them and I was to make an apology. This seems to be of much more importance that people being nearly killed and protecting us. I have apologized in person to these two, but will also do so in writing when it is possible. About 6PM fires were made on the other beach with tires and materials. Our house was broken into and through binoculars I could see people taking our belongings out and burning them on the fire. After many attempts to get the police here to help they did show at 9 PM. They told me to not get too excited. I told them I would try and not get excited. The police made a drive through on the other side with a spotlight and returned. They did ask about our house and they said they were burning trash. Nothing was done, nothing. All through the day gunshots were heard and I reported them by emails as they happened. Olivia did go to Mulege and to make the report as requested. When she arrived she was informed that they were closed because it was a holiday and she will need to return on Tuesday.

Today (Tuesday) 9:30AM Olivia went in person to the Mulege police. Olivia was very afraid to leave because of having these men pacing back and forth in front. I am staying here by myself. At 10 am this morning two persons one with a shotgun constructed a barrier out by the highway consisting of rocks and boulders. Ropes have been tied at all angles to prevent anyone from entering or leaving. Earlier the man with the shotgun was threatening to walk over yelling things I could not understand from here. These people causing this turmoil I believe are not from this area or state. All sales trucks/persons and customers trying to enter our restaurant and land are turned away by armed thugs. We have awaited all day for some kind of assistance. None has come. I've been emailing continuously to top officials for urgent help. When Olivia returned from Mulege she was accompanied by the police. They came to make a report on our house robbery. They were denied any entry. The police told her she could not go thru and that if she wanted to go to our business she would have to go clime down the mountain. She did! On her butt!

We are essentially held captive at the moment with men patrolling outside with guns.
If I have to I will defend myself with full force.

It is now the Wednesday, morning of day four. Gunshots are sporadic. I think done to try and scare us. Driving fast and opening doors of the vehicles showing us their guns. Our entrances have been blocked with boulders and ropes tied across all ways coming and going. These guys are walking around with illegal firearms and threaten us whenever we go near our road out. We are awaiting the help from the Mexican government.
It is the morning of Wed. Feb. 8 and we have no assistance in this matter. Our cook Bertha came by bus(we tried to have her notified not to come) she was forced out at gunpoint. Bertha is a simple person raised 6 children on her own and does not read or write, but works hard.
Two officials showed up tonight at 7 pm. The wanted to know if we wanted to leave and we declined. They promise service fast! I'm so relieved:) haha
Today the Munoz crew were walking by our restaurant at about 20 yards. Of course they think they are macho men.
Thanks to all our friends who have known what we have endured. Munoz people are now living in our house using my generator for power etc. etc. I'm sure all our belongings are gone. Wish I would have scanned my kids pictures.

I do believe these people are drug related. For some reason they want our place.
We are not afraid. We just want the Government to assume responsibility and do something. Unreal.....

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by MexicoTed]

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 11:20 PM

"I believe these people are drug related. For some reason they want our place." As far as I know Rafael Munoz is in the real estate business, not drugs. He posts here as Ramuma53 on Baja Real Estate advice. He hasn't posted in a while though.

These hoodlums are shooting guns night and day and the local police are afraid of them. They are already living in your house and have burned your personal property. You are a respected local businessman with a Mexican wife and yet the police are doing nothing to help you? Blockades? That's not a real estate repossession imho. If your property could be a good location for moving drugs- perhaps that is what they really want. Not many local or state police will mess with Chapo if it is him though. Military maybe. Your best hope is this story goes big, fast- so these guys find an easier target.

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
If your property could be a good location for moving drugs- perhaps that is what they really want.

Then...why all the theatrics? The terrorism? What's to stop them from just marching in and taking over? Doesn't sound like they would have too much resistance.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:16 AM

So much for police protection in the Mulege area. Somebody's gonna get injured before this is over. If the local law won't help, maybe the state cops or military will? And those worthless local guys should be fired.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Here's latest post from Mark in case you are not reading his Facebook page.

2/8 @7:30pm

Yesterday, Monday(day 2) men were walking across our estuary with pistols and rifles. Continually challenging us. We made attempts to have the police come and help us get our papers and important items from our house. The police sent me emails that they were going to report me to immigration. Two shots were fired over two Canadian tourists as they left our driveway. Jim Christopher, U.S. Consulate of Mulege came here claiming the officers were upset and that I said I did not trust them and I was to make an apology. This seems to be of much more importance that people being nearly killed and protecting us. I have apologized in person to these two, but will also do so in writing when it is possible. About 6PM fires were made on the other beach with tires and materials. Our house was broken into and through binoculars I could see people taking our belongings out and burning them on the fire. After many attempts to get the police here to help they did show at 9 PM. They told me to not get too excited. I told them I would try and not get excited. The police made a drive through on the other side with a spotlight and returned. They did ask about our house and they said they were burning trash. Nothing was done, nothing. All through the day gunshots were heard and I reported them by emails as they happened. Olivia did go to Mulege and to make the report as requested. When she arrived she was informed that they were closed because it was a holiday and she will need to return on Tuesday.

Today (Tuesday) 9:30AM Olivia went in person to the Mulege police. Olivia was very afraid to leave because of having these men pacing back and forth in front. I am staying here by myself. At 10 am this morning two persons one with a shotgun constructed a barrier out by the highway consisting of rocks and boulders. Ropes have been tied at all angles to prevent anyone from entering or leaving. Earlier the man with the shotgun was threatening to walk over yelling things I could not understand from here. These people causing this turmoil I believe are not from this area or state. All sales trucks/persons and customers trying to enter our restaurant and land are turned away by armed thugs. We have awaited all day for some kind of assistance. None has come. I've been emailing continuously to top officials for urgent help. When Olivia returned from Mulege she was accompanied by the police. They came to make a report on our house robbery. They were denied any entry. The police told her she could not go thru and that if she wanted to go to our business she would have to go clime down the mountain. She did! On her butt!

We are essentially held captive at the moment with men patrolling outside with guns.
If I have to I will defend myself with full force.

It is now the Wednesday, morning of day four. Gunshots are sporadic. I think done to try and scare us. Driving fast and opening doors of the vehicles showing us their guns. Our entrances have been blocked with boulders and ropes tied across all ways coming and going. These guys are walking around with illegal firearms and threaten us whenever we go near our road out. We are awaiting the help from the Mexican government.
It is the morning of Wed. Feb. 8 and we have no assistance in this matter. Our cook Bertha came by bus(we tried to have her notified not to come) she was forced out at gunpoint. Bertha is a simple person raised 6 children on her own and does not read or write, but works hard.
Two officials showed up tonight at 7 pm. The wanted to know if we wanted to leave and we declined. They promise service fast! I'm so relieved:) haha
Today the Munoz crew were walking by our restaurant at about 20 yards. Of course they think they are macho men.
Thanks to all our friends who have known what we have endured. Munoz people are now living in our house using my generator for power etc. etc. I'm sure all our belongings are gone. Wish I would have scanned my kids pictures.

I do believe these people are drug related. For some reason they want our place.
We are not afraid. We just want the Government to assume responsibility and do something. Unreal.....

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by MexicoTed]

if the authorities have truly not responded to end this armed standoff in 4 days it has gon on, it appears that the state and local police functions of baja sur are nonexistant and drug gangs and thugs have finally won.
i think this is really a sign of the end of tourism in baja sur.

note to the government: are you really allowing drug gangs or raphael munoz to sieze restaurants/hotels at gunpoint while they are occupied by tourists?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
So much for police protection in the Mulege area. Somebody's gonna get injured before this is over. If the local law won't help, maybe the state cops or military will? And those worthless local guys should be fired.

it has gone on for multiple days and it appears that cops have hardly bothered to even check on the situation.

it is obvious that there is no functional law enforcement in mulege, no local, no state, no fed. zip. nada. not a friggin law officer.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
These hoodlums are shooting guns night and day and the local police are afraid of them. They are already living in your house and have burned your personal property. You are a respected local businessman with a Mexican wife and yet the police are doing nothing to help you? Blockades?

Your best hope is this story goes big, fast- so these guys find an easier target.

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by Woooosh]

the message here: there is no law in mulege. it is clear that mulege has fallen off the map of civilization. local, state and federal govt are clearly condoning the siege.

really, if govt and law enforcement allows something to go on like this for more than 12 hrs, it is clear there is no functional law enforcement. and if there is zero law enforcement, will another tourist ever visit mulege?
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:57 AM

This is frightening. Where is the military? Is there nothing they can do in this situation?

The audacity and the open carrying of arms shows you the narcos can now do what ever they want. In broad daylight with immunity.

I agree if this story got big fast maybe something will get done. But most likely only temporary.

Hope this has a positive outcome for Marc, Olivia, and Mexico's sake.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajario
This is frightening. Where is the military?

the military is just north up the road at the san ignacio check point, they are very busy ignoring the situation! perhaps you can call back next week to see if they can fit you in their schedule!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 07:15 AM

Any of you folks in Mulege have anything to add here? Why all the silence?
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by bajario
This is frightening. Where is the military?

the military is just north up the road at the san ignacio check point, they are very busy ignoring the situation! perhaps you can call back next week to see if they can fit you in their schedule!

Not to be picky, but they are a lot closer than that. There is a military base south of Santa Rosalia, in San Lucas. The Marina boys are usually visible in their stake bed trucks daily in the northern part of Bahia de Concepcion.

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by tripledigitken]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Any of you folks in Mulege have anything to add here? Why all the silence?

How about a "photo of the day" of the barricaded driveway at San Buenaventura?
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 07:24 AM

Which makes this even more incredible. The fact there so close but yet make it so obvious the whole military is turned to the dark side.
baja1943
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:03 AM
????

Aren't these the same people that were involved in the turtle thread with Munoz a few years ago?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:06 AM

Why does Mark think this is drug related? I would be careful of going there. Some things don't add up.

Local police not on his side
military not helping
Consulate not on his side
Apology to police
Threat of deportation
Marc alleging drugs involved.....
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:11 AM

yes, these are the same folks....what baffles me is that there is a large contingency of marines based here in mulege; their presence is everywhere around town...i just don't understand why they aren't down there....this is pretty friggin scary.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:16 AM

Roger,

Just a photo, no shots fired. Light is always a good start to get the roaches to scatter.

Good for you.

Ken
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:28 AM

Where's all the neighbors during all this happening?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:37 AM

This situation is beyond logic. Mark & Olivia are in their 5th day of being under siege and the authorities have not taken control of a very volatile situation.

They are running a business that caters to tourists, truck drivers, business people who travel past their property via the only highway route up and down the peninsula to La Paz. Not only are Mark & Olivia having to fend for themselves, so are all the travellers who innocently may try to enter their property. It is unacceptable that thugs unlawfully carrying guns, threatening people with them, barricading their property and destroying their property for 4 days have not been apprehended!

Besides the strong possibility that these thugs are hyped up on meth, they are obviously not afraid of being arrested, or they wouldn't be brandishing their weapons in broad daylight, where any passerby could see them...

Mark & Olivia, are good people. They fought for years through the court system, spending very hard-earned money, just to defend what was rightfully theirs. When they finally succeeded, the s**t hit the fan. This is what happens when a bully wants something that belongs to someone else and isn't getting his way.

For the sake of Mark & Olivia, and the safety of all of us who could just as easily find ourselves in a similar situation, let's pray that the authorities take action, before someone is physically hurt, or worse...
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  83

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.