Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Power of the Dog- a book review
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-9-2012 at 01:55 PM
Power of the Dog- a book review

Recently this book was mentioned and recommended here. I just finished reading this 600+page novel in less than a week. Most Nomads will recognize events in the book which seem very familiar, as do the locations as well. It is available on Kindle too.

Highly recommended.

review from Amazon.....

Book Description

Publication Date: April 26, 2005

From Don Winslow (“A writer so good you almost want to keep him to yourself”—Ian Rankin), an electrifying new novel of love and revenge, politics and influence, corruption and honor. Moving at breakneck speed, it tells a riveting, sometimes harrowing story set in the shifting nexus of power among the Latin American drug cartels, the American mob, and the U.S. government.

Spanning the years from the rise of the Mexican drug Federación in the 1970s to the Iran-Contra affair in the 1980s to the vicious drug wars of the 1990s, the action ranges from Manhattan’s Hell’s Kitchen and the halls of Washington to the streets of Tijuana and the deserts of the American Southwest.

The players: a DEA agent, a drug lord, a call girl, a hit man, a priest. Caught up in the war on drugs, willingly or not, each is trying to escape the sins of the past while negotiating the treacherous currents of the present. Their seemingly disparate lives—taking shape on one side of the law or the other, or straddling both—slowly converge as they struggle to overcome, in any way possible, the “power of the dog.”

From the jungles of Latin America to the vicious netherworld of the California–Mexico border, this is the war on drugs you haven’t seen—its devastations and deliriums, its alliances and betrayals, its pawns and kings.

A masterpiece of epic storytelling, The Power of the Dog is Don Winslow at the very top of his form.

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by tripledigitken]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 01:58 PM

wanna sell me your "old" copy?

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
wanna sell me your "old" copy?

It's on my Kindle, sorry!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 02:23 PM

#@&*%^$ technology......:light:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 02:27 PM

:lol:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 02:36 PM

I'm waiting on the mail at this moment. I was going to buy the Kindle edition, but after reading the reviews, this just seemed like a book I would enjoy holding the old fashioned way.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 05:56 PM

FYI all you readers, especially older surfers will really enjoy his other books. The only one I didn't care for was Sartori, but the guy has a real knack for writing.
Dawn Patrol, Frankie Machine, Gentleman Hour, all really good reading. :cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Recently this book was mentioned and recommended here. I just finished reading this 600+page novel in less than a week. Most Nomads will recognize events in the book which seem very familiar, as do the locations as well. It is available on Kindle too.

Highly recommended.

review from Amazon.....

Book Description

Publication Date: April 26, 2005

From Don Winslow (“A writer so good you almost want to keep him to yourself”—Ian Rankin), an electrifying new novel of love and revenge, politics and influence, corruption and honor. Moving at breakneck speed, it tells a riveting, sometimes harrowing story set in the shifting nexus of power among the Latin American drug cartels, the American mob, and the U.S. government.

Spanning the years from the rise of the Mexican drug Federación in the 1970s to the Iran-Contra affair in the 1980s to the vicious drug wars of the 1990s, the action ranges from Manhattan’s Hell’s Kitchen and the halls of Washington to the streets of Tijuana and the deserts of the American Southwest.

The players: a DEA agent, a drug lord, a call girl, a hit man, a priest. Caught up in the war on drugs, willingly or not, each is trying to escape the sins of the past while negotiating the treacherous currents of the present. Their seemingly disparate lives—taking shape on one side of the law or the other, or straddling both—slowly converge as they struggle to overcome, in any way possible, the “power of the dog.”

From the jungles of Latin America to the vicious netherworld of the California–Mexico border, this is the war on drugs you haven’t seen—its devastations and deliriums, its alliances and betrayals, its pawns and kings.

A masterpiece of epic storytelling, The Power of the Dog is Don Winslow at the very top of his form.

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by tripledigitken]

Glad you read it. It's certainly a page turner, that's for sure :yes:

While (obviously) some of the situations are implausible, I think he's hit every major "event" in the rise of the drug trade. And as anyone who has spent any length of time in Mexico knows, they love rumors and conspiracy theories almost as much as Americans do, and Winslow has managed to fold all the rumors, escandolos, and innuendos surrounding the drug trade into the plot.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 12:12 AM
YES ! ! !

I totally agree.

Over the last year, I think i've read the most of the Winslow collection.
GREAT writer.... I've done a few all nighters reading his stuff.

Dawn Patrol, Power of the Dog, Savages, The Winter of Frankie Machine, California Fire & Life, The Dawn Patrol, (great ones to start with...), . . If you like this style of writing, you will love Winslow!

He frequently crosses political, ethnic, and cultural boundaries in a very suspenseful way.

BTW: Satori will be out as a Warner Bros. Movie (starring diCaprio) soon.... Set circa Post Korean War with some real twists...!

Enjoy!
djh

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
FYI all you readers, especially older surfers will really enjoy his other books. The only one I didn't care for was Sartori, but the guy has a real knack for writing.
Dawn Patrol, Frankie Machine, Gentleman Hour, all really good reading. :cool:

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.