BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Anyone Else Hate The New Ad Banners?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:36 AM

Now it's Budget RentaCar. All this 'cause I let someone use my computer to book a trip to Hawaii.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:46 AM
Flying foxes and dancing sheep????

Sounds like you and Timothy Leary have something in common...lay off the funny stuff!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Right now I'm getting an ad with flying foxes and dancing sheep advertising air and hotel fares:

http://tinyurl.com/7n6qcqo

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by DENNIS]
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
btw... there's a blue triangle/arrow ...If you follow that link, you can edit the categories of ads ...

Interesting. I followed those links (from the banner ad for Baja Bound) to my personal info based on my web activity and see that my "age" bracket is a full TEN YEARS YOUNGER than actual. :biggrin: Wooohoo! Wait'll I tell Diana!

Allen R
P.S. BTW, Doug, many thanks again for this forum. I don't get all the ads that folks are writing about. I use MIE with an ad-block feature.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:54 AM
Nothing wrong with ads..

Thanks Doug for this fun website, I love the loose leash you have on the members, makes for alot of interesting comments and many laughs. I for one don't mind the ads, and for the amount of work you do on this site...its a very small amount of compensation for you I am sure...
Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Quote:
btw... there's a blue triangle/arrow ...If you follow that link, you can edit the categories of ads ...

Interesting. I followed those links (from the banner ad for Baja Bound) to my personal info based on my web activity and see that my "age" bracket is a full TEN YEARS YOUNGER than actual. :biggrin: Wooohoo! Wait'll I tell Diana!

Allen R
P.S. BTW, Doug, many thanks again for this forum. I don't get all the ads that folks are writing about. I use MIE with an ad-block feature.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:58 AM
Testosterone levels...

It could be that people are offended by these ads because of a biochemical reason. Recent medical studies have shown that men over 50 have steadily declining testosterone levels which cause depression and lack of sex drive. There are testosterone replacement therapies which, I have heard, can improve the quality of life.
Quote:
Originally posted by jakecard
Asian and Latino dating-site banners on Baja Nomad?

Seriously? What next? Penis enhancement commercials?

Is this Baja Nomad website so destitute that its continued existence relies upon a proxy revenue stream from the world's lowest common denominator in advertising---the sale of "SEX!"

Anyone else here tired of being inundated with ads you don't want to see on every single page you visit on Baja Nomad nowadays?

Jake
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 11:15 AM
Not trying to put anyone down..

Seriously, I have several female friends who have this problem with their men, and these guys appear to be the most virile, masculine men you could meet on the surface...they are in total despair!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
There are testosterone replacement therapies which, I have heard, can improve the quality of life.

You serious, or just trying to get a rise out of all us "REAL MEN" strutting around here? :lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
The advertising on the site helps cover the more significant costs of running the forums portion of the site...

Which I don't begrudge you in the least-- nobody here is paying your bills.

But I do hate the Google Ads.

1) They're yet another channel for Google to collect information on us. And before anyone starts on the "tinfoil hat" derision, spend some time delving into the different ways Google is gathering and associating personal data. Investigate Google Analytics, AddSense, DoubleClick, GMail, and the way Android cell phones and other portable devices (most which contain GPS devices) tie into Google, many storing the owner's personal contact information (phone directories, etc.) on the Google servers. The potential is enormous.

2) The ads take up a lot of screen space. On my system, 20% of the screen space is occupied by advertising, content which dilutes my focus as a user of the forum and requires me to scroll that much more.

3) Most of those ads are animated. Watch the way your attention flows when you open a page with animated advertisements.

Alternatives? I don't know. You have to pay your bills, that's a given.

every time i get annoyed by an ad, i remind myself to say thank you to advertisers that make 99% of sites on internet "free" for the users.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 11:34 AM

I have no problem with ads. Better than having to pay to access sites. Id rather the ad cater to what I'm into (surfing, art, Baja, music, cute Latinas (just kidding!)) rather than something I'm not interested in.

And I don't know about you, but I can't remember ever buying something from seeing an online ad. It may seep into my subconscious, but I've never seen an ad and flocked like a robot to go purchase something. Just my $.02.

To sum it up, as long as the content is good, I don't mind a few ads. Now, radio, as a medium, is totally worthless and I won't put up with the ads for crap music/talk radio. I moved on to podcasts and will never go back......

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:

every time i get annoyed by an ad, i remind myself to say thank you to advertisers that make 99% of sites on internet "free" for the users.

:yes: :yes:

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 11:45 AM

Once a day I get rid of cookies the browsing sites leave behind just so I don't get bombarded with stuff I'm not interested in. Tools. internet options, delete cookies and internet browsing history. Will prevent getting that stuff.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo

Now, radio, as a medium, is totally worthless and I won't put up with the ads for crap music/talk radio.

Totally disagree. Radio programs enhance your imagination. Since one of the senses is missing you make up for it internally. A baseball game over the radio is a much richer experience than television.
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 01:26 PM

Insurance and Cabo Riviera here. Maybe the ads are targeted to what your cookies say you like?:lol::lol:

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 04:21 PM

Thank the Gods that I am 49!

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
It could be that people are offended by these ads because of a biochemical reason. Recent medical studies have shown that men over 50 have steadily declining testosterone levels which cause depression and lack of sex drive. There are testosterone replacement therapies which, I have heard, can improve the quality of life.
Quote:
Originally posted by jakecard
Asian and Latino dating-site banners on Baja Nomad?

Seriously? What next? Penis enhancement commercials?

Is this Baja Nomad website so destitute that its continued existence relies upon a proxy revenue stream from the world's lowest common denominator in advertising---the sale of "SEX!"

Anyone else here tired of being inundated with ads you don't want to see on every single page you visit on Baja Nomad nowadays?

Jake

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.