Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: SOS...a recipe
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 09:19 AM
SOS...a recipe

DENNIS,

You brought back a memory from childhood for me. My Dad used to make this every once in awhile, memories for him from the Navy. I found this online and it's pretty close to his version.

SOS (creamed chipped beef on toast)

Ingredients:

• 4 Tbs butter
• Large jar of Armour dried chipped beef (on the canned meat aisle in the grocery store, comes in a clear jar with a blue lid - comes in two sizes, get the big one)
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
• 1 recipe cream sauce (see below)
• 4 to 8 slices toasted white bread
Directions:
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Add the chipped beef and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Remove from the heat. Taste for seasoning with salt and pepper - the chipped beef may already be salty enough. Combine with the cream sauce and spoon over toasted white bread. Serves 4.

Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

6 Tbs butter
6 Tbs flour
1 cup beef or chicken broth, or milk
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
A grating of fresh nutmeg

Directions:

Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Stir in the flour and allow to bubble for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the liquids and the seasonings and stir constantly with a whisk until thick and creamy. Makes about 2 cups.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 09:24 AM

Thanks Ken.
I'd rather have a plate of the above recipe than a New York Steak....any day. For those of us down here that can't find canned chipped beef, ground beef can be a substitute. It's all good.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 09:32 AM

I sure remember eating that as a child, but I don't remember it being that rich---don't think my dad used heavy cream?

Dang--- now I am also thinking about how grandma used to trim the fat from the pork chops and with lots of salt fry it up---so good. And how after frying almost anything, dad used to gently fry up a slice of bread --- bread, of course, was either Weber's or Wonder's white bread and the grease was certainly not olive oil. :biggrin:

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by DianaT]

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 09:48 AM

I actually just had some at my folks a few months ago! I don't know the exact recipe but I know there's not heavy cream in my Moms. Nonetheless it's so good and a great childhood memory for me.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:32 AM

Yup I remember eating this alot growing up, my dad was in the Navy WWII in the Pacific, he liked it alot

we have SOS still, for a quicky we go to the frozen section
and get Stouffers Cream chipped beef, its really not bad at all
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:52 AM

Speaking from a lifetime of experience, the most important ingredient - bar none -
is that the dried/chipped beef be the Armour brand in the glass jar with the blue lid.
And the bread really needs to be toasted white balloon bread.:rolleyes:

I'm with your dad on this, Ken.
SOS - one of life's great comfort foods.:biggrin:

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:54 AM

Right after WWII there was a funny cartoon in the New Yorker.

A young man is seated at the breakfast table with his father while his mother is serving creamed chipped beef on their plates. She has a stricken look on her face while her son is saying, "Well, gee, Mom, that's what we called it in the Army."

(It's a terrific breakfast dish, will set you up for a whole day. I love it.)
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:56 AM

we like it best on toasted sourdough
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:58 AM

with a little salt and pepper and I like a little Tabasco
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 11:16 AM

I wish I could taste just one more time the SOS thy used to serve us at MCRD, that was the best stuff ever. It was some sort of white sauce with little bits of what appeared to be minced meat on a slice of I think toast. God I miss that.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 11:20 AM

OH NO,

Sourdough and tabasco----sounds like blasphemy to me--

Next it will be unsalted chipped beef, or maybe dried tofu and olive oil instead of butter. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Then again, homemade biscuits are very good with it and I do like tabasco on just about everything. :yes:

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by DianaT]

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:02 AM

GREAT stuff! My Pops would make this every week for chow down. I make it 45 years later......still......I do however add diced Bell Peppers.

beff.jpeg - 11kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:03 AM

I think one of the reasons the MCRD SOS was so good was that our bodies needed every single calorie that we could get. I think I ate everything on my tray everytime we went to the chow hall. Some of the stuff I don't know what it was. Still came out at about 120 lbs. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:04 AM

UMMMMM--- McFez, Now I gotta go cook somethin. Boy does that look good. :P

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
I think one of the reasons the MCRD SOS was so good was that our bodies needed every single calorie that we could get. I think I ate everything on my tray everytime we went to the chow hall. Some of the stuff I don't know what it was. Still came out at about 120 lbs. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

For some reason the milk also tasted delicious. I couldn't get enough of it.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 12:42 PM

used to have it every week growing up in Montana. Sometimes mom sustituted caned tuna on Fridays.

Bob Durrell
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 12:54 PM
Spam...the essential ingredient in Hawaiian Food..

How unhealthy diets can be.....this thread reminds me of being in Hawaii...it's a Diabetics nightmare...spam with eggs, spam on a sandwich...Hawaiians love Spam!!! They even have it in the Waikiki McDonald's....they also have Macaroni Salad and Rice with every meal...thank God for Tuna fish...they also love Poke...which is a marinaded type of sushi...Can't wait to move back in 6 months...ha ha...
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
used to have it every week growing up in Montana. Sometimes mom sustituted caned tuna on Fridays.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
How unhealthy diets can be.....this thread reminds me of being in Hawaii...it's a Diabetics nightmare...spam with eggs, spam on a sandwich...Hawaiians love Spam!!! They even have it in the Waikiki McDonald's....they also have Macaroni Salad and Rice with every meal...thank God for Tuna fish...they also love Poke...which is a marinaded type of sushi...Can't wait to move back in 6 months...ha ha...
Quote:

Aw come on...not a fan of Spam? Can't be any worse than a plate of rolled tacos smoothered in guacamole and cheese...could it?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 01:16 PM
Spam...

I care to choose my carbohydrates and sodium, thanks!!! BTW, both of these foods became popular during the war because they were canned and therefore not perishable...I guess that's how they became extensively used during that time...
Quote:
Originally posted by Kalypso
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Quote:

Aw come on...not a fan of Spam? Can't be any worse than a plate of rolled tacos smoothered in guacamole and cheese...could it?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 01:16 PM

SOS ???? I have never heard of this ..... where have I been ?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.