Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A better Life
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2012 at 05:02 PM
A better Life

I did the search option and came up with nada.

So, that said, although strictly speaking, it is not about Baja in particular, I want to recommend the movie "A Better Life".

It is out on DVD. The lead actor, Demian Bechir is one of the nominees for best actor in the Academy Awards.

Bechir is well known in Mexico, and may be best known to those NOB as the former husband of Nancy Botwin in the Showtime series, Weeds.

Having seen a number of the nominated performances, I have to say that this would be the best I have witnessed.

Bechir plays a man who was in the US illegally, but had been so for many years. He worked as a landscaper, an ultimately bought the business from his boss.

He has a teenaged son, for whom he is seeking the better life. He has other family, including a sister, who I am led to believe was here legally.

Anyway, he ends up being deported to Mexico. Mind you, he has been in the US for many years, raising a son. He has labored an honest day of work for all that time.

The final scene with he and a number of other illegals, standing out in the middle of nowhere, by the border, looking to cross back, brought tears to my eyes, as Bechir's character said, "OK, let's go home."

Just have to consider that we had a very successful, compassionate amnesty program under Reagan, that absolutely considered the humanity involved.

Given the coarse conversation today about immigration, I just cannot grasp how it is that as a nation, we have lost our compassion.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2012 at 05:08 PM

Amazon has it:

rent---4 bucks

buy---15 bucks
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-14-2012 at 05:14 PM

It is a great Film. There needs to be a better way then we are using regards to immigration. It has become a football that neither side will compromise and thinks they must win. MMc

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 04:59 PM
Searching .......... Searching ...............

Coincidentally, while reading this, a flick I've watched again and again was just wrapping up and the closing scene has a line referring to "Mary Jane Rottencrotch".

Out of curiosity, I keyed it into Altavista and and found there were 21,600 links.

It has nothing to do with anything, but now you know.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 05:34 PM

I realize it is not realistic to send all of the "illegals" home. They are part of the fabric of our society now. BUT, our immigration laws should be revised. Maybe use -----uhhhhh---MEXICO as a template for our own revision.:smug::smug::smug::smug::cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
Maybe use -----uhhhhh---MEXICO as a template for our own revision.:smug::smug::smug::smug::cool:

Maybe. How does the Mexican Government treat poverty-stricken foreigners that arrive in the country with the primary intention of looking for work?
Get caught working without the proper papers, and get sent home. Simple

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
Get caught working without the proper papers, and get sent home. Simple

That's what could/would happen if you had no money to pay the fine.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.