Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with Granite
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2012 at 04:15 PM
Help with Granite

Any suggestions how to inquire about "Granite Tile"?
How would you describe or ask for "Bullnose" on the granite tile?

So far I've tried "pedazos cuadrados de granito" for the tile, but it's hard to pantomime the bullnose and I'm trying to ask questions via email.

Gracias
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 2-17-2012 at 05:50 PM

Ola,
Call Domingo Ortega in Loreto at 613-104-8801 cell
or his home number 613-135-0676.
email: domingoo@live.com

Domingo installed our granite countertops, and did a great job.
He ran a granite outfit in California and speaks English perfectly, I had to ask him to translate all the words for me, too.

He is in Loreto full time now, I believe. He specializes in granite, tile and cantera stone and does a lot of other specialty work as well.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2012 at 06:11 PM

Thanks Loretana, I'll write him a message now.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 09:03 AM

The guys building our house refer to all countertop tile as "ceramica", and all floor tile as "vitropiso" no matter what the tile is made of. I got used to using those terms so they'd know what we were talking about but asking for "ceramica de granito" at a marmolera didn't make sense.

I posed this Spanish vocabulary question on MexConnect forum and the responses were "azuleos de granito" for the tile and "canto boleado" (rounded edge) for the bullnose. Sounds good to me.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 04:21 PM

Dont have any advice about craftsmen, When I did my kitchen in the states I bought two slabs of Granite i knew it would be more than I needed But I hate seams, I insisted the counters be one piece no seams,I was planing on a Bull Nose 8in. back splash and the Craftsman related I had enough material to do a full back splash and I would save a lot on labor because it was more Expensive labor wise to create the Bull nose the money saved turned out to e a non issue I was really impressed with the look of the full back splash.:yes::yes:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 04:41 PM

Floor tile = Loseta

Other than floor tile = Azulejo

That's how my guys refer to it.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce

Gracias
Draw a picture and scan it as an attachment

In Memory of E-57
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:

Gracias
Draw a picture and scan it as an attachment

"Bullnose" is a rounded shape for the edge profile of the counter-top. There are quarter, half or full bullnose edges. I do not see how that can be done well with granite tiles unless the tiles are the same thickness of the countertop. With full slab counter-tops they are an option, but anytime you have to cut or round rock it gets more expensive.

Why not get creative and pour concrete ones? The new snap-away kits offer bullnose edges. This is my next project. Not hard to do on standard counters- check the video. http://concretecountertopsolutions.com/categories/edge-profi...

[Edited on 2-19-2012 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

... The new snap-away kits offer bullnose edges.

Isn't that what PVC and ABS are for Wooosh? Sometimes you work with what you've got.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 11:03 AM

This is what I was referring to as bullnose granite tile:

Woooosh, the concrete counters in the video are beautiful and if we were sure ours would come out like those, I'd jump on it. But I can't tell you how many times our masons, my husb, neighbors, etc told me before our patio pour that "concrete is unpredictable and it's going to crack and the best you can do is to try and control it". That left an impression.

We have no experience with concrete, and our builders are very good with flatwork, but I don't know if I'd have them attempt kitchen counters.

Since we're so far from anything, getting a granite slab guy out here might be difficult so I thought I'd try granite tiles that we could transport ourselves. We'll see...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 11:05 AM

i love the hurricanes in your iron railing! excellent!!!

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 11:14 AM

Thanks Woody. It depends where you're standing- sometimes they're southern hemisphere cyclones.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 11:43 AM

yeah, i noticed that. when you're watching from the porch they spin correctly!:light:

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

... The new snap-away kits offer bullnose edges.

Isn't that what PVC and ABS are for Wooosh? Sometimes you work with what you've got.

Now I know how they did the coping on our pool edge! Great job on your hurricane deck... resourceful wins again over "kit". :)

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
But I can't tell you how many times our masons, my husb, neighbors, etc told me before our patio pour that "concrete is unpredictable and it's going to crack and the best you can do is to try and control it".

People are giving you BS! If the contractor says all concrete slabs will crack, then don't hire the idiot!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.