Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: propane tank
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 11:13 AM
propane tank

We are looking to purchase a propane tank. One of the larger ones with the orange top. It stands about 4 ft tall. We have one but it runs a couple of refrigerators and it would be nice to have a backup for when it runs out. We are in palapa #7 at El Burro. Ron and Patty rbeals6062@yahoo.com.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 01:42 PM

That would be the 45-KILO model. Last I saw up here, they ran about 65 dollars new....and empty.
A good source here is the propane trucks that drive around and exchange these tanks. They'll sell you a full tank at a decent saving. If you go that way, just make sure the tank has the guard around the valve on top. I've seen them try to sell the other type to unknowing buyers in the past.
If you ever end up with one of those, at best you'll have to lug it down to the plant yourself to have it refilled, and today they may not even do that.

Buyer beware...and all that stuff.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 01:56 PM

no get the 35 kilo
just stop the truck and get it

they come by all the time

ask the restruant

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 02:12 PM

Why buy? You don't want to lug those things around. Seems you could track down one of those trucks that Dennis is talking about and get your tank right there. Think it's a 600 peso deposit on the tank. They just swap them out when you are empty. Most Mexican families have two so they just swap the hose when one goes empty.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 03:05 PM

Thanks. I thought the new retail price was more. I will just get one the next time the truck comes by to fill my existing tank.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 03:48 PM

Why two big tanks? You could use a small tank when the big one runs out and the small tank would give you time to get the big one refilled....no?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 04:13 PM

sometimes its 2 weeks till the exchange truck comes
no phones at burro to call
santa rosalia is the "fill plant" (1 hour each way to burro)

they do fill tanks in town but then you need to haul it and they sometimes run out

two tanks are better than one...use a splitter valve and you dont need to unhook anything at 9pm when it runs out of gas

our website is:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 04:19 PM
You call that a tank???

Buy a 300 liter tank and have the truck refill it.............or do you get home refill service???

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Buy a 300 liter tank and have the truck refill it.............or do you get home refill service???

A large tank is handy but when it goes low and you need it filled your restricted to the house waiting for "the big truck". With the 35 kilo bottle you could own two or more and be able to fill the empty(s) when you want to.

Also, once we switched to an electric fridge and pilotless stove/oven we use far less propane than in the past.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 07:57 PM

Bob, what is a splitter valve? Does it allow one tank to empty while the other tank is isolated? And does the valve switch to the full tank automatically or does a person need to switch it?
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-26-2012 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Bob, what is a splitter valve? Does it allow one tank to empty while the other tank is isolated? And does the valve switch to the full tank automatically or does a person need to switch it?

Once the valve is installed and hoses connected to both bottles you open both bottles fully. There is a switch (lever) that will point/indicate which tank is your primary and there is a small glass window that will indicate green when primary is in use.

When the primary empties the secondary tank will kick in and the small glass window will turn red and that is how you know the primary has emptied. Now, turn the switch/lever towards the secondary now appointing it your primary which will turn the glass window green again. Because both bottles were on there will be no interuption of gas service.

Remove and fill the empty bottle at your leisure. Write down the date you switched over the tanks so you will have an idea of when it may empty again.

This is very common on RV's (travel trailers/5th wheels) with two propane tanks mounted on the tongue.

[Edited on 2-27-2012 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Burbs
Junior Nomad

Mood: Full Mood

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 07:46 AM

The big truck from S.R. will not fill the small tanks anymore. For me it is a 220 kilometor round trip to fill the little guys. Some guys in town are filling the small ones, but at at 150% of the cost of the Gaspasa. I don't want to pay 50% more. I notice in town they fill off larger container to the smaller.
Can someone explain HOW they fill the little containers from a big tank.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 08:10 AM

mark....jorge yee, the water guy under the bridge, now fills little tanks from his home.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 09:29 AM

The truck tankexchange guys cell number is 615 155 9557. btw, Jorge Yee uses a pressure balance system, so he can only put about 1/3rd in the tall tanks, but he can fill the RV/BBQ tanks (20lbders?) for 150mxp.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
With the 35 kilo bottle

45 Kilo. Not 35. I've never seen a 35 Kilo tank [assuming they're properly filled] and the trucks here, and I'll bet in Mulege as well, exchange 45 Kilo tanks.
When you get your first one from the driver, you buy it......that is, if he has one for sale. Then, you just put it into the exchange system. Whichever tank you have at the end of the day, you own.
Buying a new tank at, say, Home Depot is another way to go. It's shiney new and clean, but unless you want to hassle taking it in to be refilled, it's gone with the first exchange.

45.....not 35. Did I mention that?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Remove and fill the empty bottle at your leisure. Write down the date you switched over the tanks so you will have an idea of when it may empty again.

Another method of establishing propane content is to run your hand down the side of the tank from the top and the cold gas level will be easy to feel.
Burbs
Junior Nomad

Mood: Full Mood

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 10:08 AM

Yes, I have been using Jorge. I wrote Gaspasa because I wanted a official answer from the Gaspasa that they would not fill the small containers anymore. Not some employee just telling me. A man did come and talk with me from Gaspasa. It was when the entrance was blocked and the hotel guys made him walk down the mountain to visit us!
He(Gaspasa) told us that it was a safety concern and they will be no longer filling the small tanks. We would have to go to Santa Rosalia to fill.
We always had all the small tanks bunched together for ease of filling. Others from Requeson would have theirs ready too. I made sure all of the tanks equated to a ten peso tip, so it was worthwile for the guys filling. They always seem to frown on filling the small ones even though they made another 100 pesos for themselves. I feel if Gaspasa sells gas they should fill the small tanks too. Their in the business of filling/selling propane.
I asked how safe it was for me to travel to Santa Rosalia of Loreto with ten tanks in the back of a pickup? Also it was a big inconveince driving 110 K one way.
We offer free BBQ to the campers and I have BBQ's at the houses. I can get a fill at Jorge's but I think it is about 50 pesos per container more, plus I have to haul in and back. A real pain, if you know what I mean. Combine that with gas and diesel and there is a good combo for a bomb going down the road!:fire:
I have a 1500 liter tank and will like to fill off the big tank WHICH Gaspasa will fill....if they show up. I looked on the internet and I think I have an idea of how to but would like some advice if someone has done this type of fill.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 02:21 PM

i was wrong...damn...again

its a 30 kg not a 35kg

WAY lighter than the 45 kg tank

and the price is just under 300 pesos
it just went up a few pesos

DSCF0155.JPG - 46kB

our website is:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 02:42 PM

Never have seen a tank such as that. Just assumed the entire peninsula was working with the same equipment.
Price on the side of the truck for a 45 Kilo exchange is around 420 P's, last time I looked. I don't look often because I have a 500 liter tank.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2012 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Burbs
I have a 1500 liter tank

Jeeeezo....you could live in the Himalayas with a tank that large.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.