Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sonoyta to Mazatlan Ferry
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 11:03 AM
Sonoyta to Mazatlan Ferry

I am always disappointed with my photos once I see them after a trip. I never remember to use the zoom or wide angle and often I don't have the camera on hand and thus miss many good scenes. Anyway, here's my road trip experience in the Mexican states of Sonora, Sinaloa here as part one, and on part two, BCS from la Paz going north.

My friend Pete and I crossed the border at Lukeville / Sonoyta Jan 30 with visas and mucho pesos already in hand. Past trips teach us there are either no pesos to be had here or the cambio shops will be closed. I bought pesos in San Francisco at 13.13 to one.

About 16 miles south of the border I have the vehicle permit done quickly because I have all of the original docs and copies (don't forget the copies) at the ready.

The days drive takes us through Caborca, Altar (Altar is a major staging area for illegals going north) Santa Anna, and Hermosillo.We had been through these towns several times before on the way to Copper Canyon. The Tundra is loaded with camping gear. My Klepper kayak is stored in bags on the roof along with our wetsuits etc.

Since I don't care much for Guymas we head for San Carlos for the night. San Carlos is a really nice little town. We overnighted here five years ago.
The Adlai Hotel closed and overgrown and looks like it has been shut down for years. We looked around and found this place. Inexpensive and clean with guarded parking. In the morning we drive through a little Gringo community nearby. Nice houses near the water and clustered close together.

Our room was on the second level. A rooftop pool is up a short stairway on the left.

We head south through Obregon and Navojoa and turn off towards Hauatabampo.

On the coast Yavaros is a poor little fishing village.

Nearby is Huatabambito. The south facing beach is vast and empty with a few palapas here and there and a couple of nice homes and a way overpriced little motel. This place was a disappointment as we thought we might stay the night. Looked good on the map.

Los Moches is bustling with traffic but one way streets make it difficult to navigate. We finally find a hotel.
The Monte Carlo is a faded rose. The bar was closed. The restaurant was closed. We dined at a sidewalk stand across the street.

Mazatlen has changed much since I was there last in 1975 with my kids.

An unflattering view of our hotel, Las Jacarandas right on the Av Del Mar

A bit run down but the location is great. The grounds in front were well kept, the room was clean and the toilet worked. Super secure parking. The weather was cool so it did't matter that the pool was closed.

Across the street from our hotel. I guess I should not be surprised at how much this place has changed in the past 37 years.

The old town and some of the beach area is pretty much the same as I remember.

The mercado is still going strong and reminds me of the much larger one in Barcelona.

Setting up for Carnival these huge statues lined the Av Del Mar

The ferry trip to LaPaz will take16+ hours. We purchased tickets as soon as we hit town three days earlier. No private cabins were available although we were told one may be after the ship is underway??? We wait in line as the big trucks are loaded.

Into the belly of the beast. We are directed down a ramp to below the water line.

The big rigs ware packed in tight six across and several decks high.

After we are underway I check at the desk and find there's a stateroom available for 770 pesos. Seems they always keep a double room with bath available for last minute VIP's. Our stateroom was a relief! At 6'2" Pete could stretch out. Otherwise it's 16 hrs in the salon sitting in a airline seat with no leg room watching TV or trying to sleep. Dinner and breakfast was served in the cafeteria and was included in the ticket. There was also a small bar.

A JD or three. I helps me sleep.

Pete and I served together on a Destroyer. We were stationed at Pearl Harbor in1959 / 1960.

Goodbye Mazatlan Star and hello Baja.

Next stop, Agua Verde

[Edited on 3-4-2012 by Marc]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 11:09 AM

cool trip! can't wait for the rest.

TheColoradoDude
Nomad

Mood: Paz, Amor, y Tacos de Pescado

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 11:12 AM

Great photos! Next time your in San Carlos send me a message. I am living my winters down here.

How much was the ferry? I just took the ferry from Guaymas to Santa Rosali and it was a 10 hour trip and the cost about 700 bux round trip for 2 including a private cabin. Kind of expensive I thought.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 02:44 PM

thanks for the photo easy on your trip, very well done
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-3-2012 at 05:01 PM

The photos also brought back some of my memories.

You are right about San Carlos. Cute town on even a better looking bay.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheColoradoDude
Great photos! Next time your in San Carlos send me a message. I am living my winters down here.

How much was the ferry? I just took the ferry from Guaymas to Santa Rosali and it was a 10 hour trip and the cost about 700 bux round trip for 2 including a private cabin. Kind of expensive I thought.

Dude, We paid 4,051 pesos. That's $308 USD at international rate one way for the truck and the two of us in a large cabin with shower. We purchased the tickets three days in advance at the terminal. I would suggest doing it online maybe a couple of weeks ahead if you want a cabin guaranteed.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 08:06 AM

I've often wondered about Yavaros and the Huatabambo area, in terms of fishing out of there in May/June. Just hire a panga. Seems like you would have good access to area that would not see many gringo cruisers or fishermen. Of course, the area could be heavily long-lined by the pangueros, too.

Did you see any areas for good dry camping? Maybe behind that long beach stretch? Would it be pleasant?

What kind of vibe did you get from the locals in that area?

Finally, what are those little shade structures along the seawall at Yavaros? Did those seem to be used by fishermen selling their wares?

Thanks for the report.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 08:55 AM

Love the report. Thanks!
Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I've often wondered about Yavaros and the Huatabambo area, in terms of fishing out of there in May/June. Just hire a panga. Seems like you would have good access to area that would not see many gringo cruisers or fishermen. Of course, the area could be heavily long-lined by the pangueros, too.

Did you see any areas for good dry camping? Maybe behind that long beach stretch? Would it be pleasant?

What kind of vibe did you get from the locals in that area?

Finally, what are those little shade structures along the seawall at Yavaros? Did those seem to be used by fishermen selling their wares?

Thanks for the report.

There is a small RV park and motel at the far end of my beach shot. Only two trailers with Canuk plates there.
Dry camping is doable notwithstanding the wind. Some palapas standing here and there, and a restaurant-bar that was open but empty of patrons that day. Baņos are strung far apart along the beach. We didn't want to set camp for one night.

I wondered about those shade structures. I think they are for commercial use. The cement tubs probably hold water?? At low tide there was no fishing going on when when we drove through.

Did not notice any bad vibes when in Yavaros. Just a whole lot of fishermen waiting around for the tide to come in. I think you could get a panga real cheap. This is not a gringo hangout.

[Edited on 3-4-2012 by Marc]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 08:56 PM

This is a great thread, Marc. I forwarded its' address to my friends Ed and Michelle in order that they can gain a little perspective regarding their plans to reach La Paz via ferry.

ddawson
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 12:07 AM

Great pics!! I especially like the vintage Star Fleet one; I'm a very good friend of the Heimpel family. I love Mazatlan, thanks for sharing.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 07:17 AM

thanks for the report...am looking forward to part two

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 11:12 PM
Very nice!

Great trip report! Thanks for the share, especially the outstanging images.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.