BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Trip La Paz LB & Cabo
bajafix

question.gif posted on 3-6-2012 at 10:47 AM
Baja Trip La Paz LB & Cabo

Flying out of TJ to La Paz the end of March and I need advice. What car rental company should I use at La Paz Airport? Fishing?? La Paz Los Barriles or Cabo (prefer panga)? How's the East Cape road from Cabo Pulmo to SJD? Info on the Hot Springs around Santiago will be helpful also. Restaurant suggestions, cheap clean accommodations? All info much appreciated :tumble:
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 11:54 AM

For rental cars I just go to Kayak.com and find who is offering the best deal for my time frame. At the bare minimum I beleive you will need to purchase liability insurance with your rental. I don't think I have ever really gotten a clean answer if your credit card automatically covers comprehensive. Personally I just got tired of the hassle of arguing over whether a rock chip was there before or after I picked up the car and just went with full coverage but it is costly so your call.

Fishing will depend on what you are targeting. In La Paz we have been getting a really nice grade of YT when the winds lay down which is happening more frequentyly as we move into March. The more consistent catch has been out of Muertos and panga trips with transportation, fish cleaning and vacuum packing is easily set up through one of the outfitters such as Fishermens Fleet or Tailhunter Intl. I was at Los Barilles last week and stopped at Palmas de Cortez for lunch and while there weren't a lot of boats going out the ones anchored off shore were flying dorado flags.

In Memory of E-57
bajafix

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 12:31 PM

Thank You Good info!!
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 04:41 PM

Were going in May, the car rental rates are cheap starting under $10 (U.S.) per day, it's the insurance that will get you to bendover. After talking with several rental car companies it seems the insurance rates are pretty universal and proportionate with the car value, the cheapest I found to go with the cheap car I am renting is $38 (U.S.) per day for full coverage which includes loss/damage, collision and liability. If you opt for lesser coverage they will put a large hold on your credit card just in case....
I don't want to hassle with the "that wasn't there when you got the car" so I'm just going to pay like a good gringo, not worry about it and have a great time.:D

Live Indubiously!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 06:12 PM

We never saw the hotsprings around Santiago but we did see a small pretty waterfall and pool below it that was great for swimming ... as you come into Santiago - follow the signs for SOL DE MAYO - they are towards the right and not easy to follow but you can ask and people will direct you. It was very inexpensive (75 pesos pp) and if I were to go again, I would take food and beverages and spend a couple hours as long as the sun were shining !

[Edited on 3-7-2012 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajafix

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 10:31 PM

I plan on purchasing full coverage I have read many posts about people getting ripped off. Thanks so much for all this info keep it coming!!! Waterfall in on my todo list :yes:
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 06:28 PM

Go on some web sites to see where the fishing is best when you are going. Check out Bloody Decks, and others. I like the east cape better than Cabo, but sometimes the fishing is slow there. When I stayed there they were going out 35 miles and not catching any fish. You might want to fish right out of La Paz.
bajafix

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 07:28 AM

ok gregg thanks will check fishing reports
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 08:27 PM

Story, Cancun. A Friend:

Rented Ford Taurus. Had digital camera
Took images of car. Had employee point to owees while photo taken
Different counter team on return
They threw a fit when they examined the car
Big argument
Agency called the cops
Cops arrived
Friend revealed the existence of images with employee
Cops rolled on floor
Agency tried to tap credit card
Claim was denied by VISA
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 01:24 PM

I'm going to have to remember that tip...camera or iPhone camera WITH the employee pointing out the dings.

Good advice, DavidE

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajafix

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 12:04 PM

I will take photos and video!! Great Tip and story. What about the fishing still not sure where to go out..Dorado in LB sounds good. Want a mixed bag not too much tuna..is the tuna good eating?? Is it like sushi?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.