BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Margaritas....shaken, not blended (or stirred)
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-13-2012 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
I like this one...but substitute 2 jiggers of home-made Mezcal instead of 2 jiggers of Controy (still use one jigger of Controi, however![/qoute]

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
Here's how I do it. Everyone seems pretty happy with the mix.

Fill a shaker 2/3 with ice.
Pour in 3 jiggers Tequila, 3 jiggers Controy, and 1 jigger fresh squeezed lime juice.
Shake well.
Pour over ice in salted or unsalted glasses.
Makes 4
Two will kick yer arse

Note: The ice in the shaker melts down considerably so I like to have more ice in the glasses. The diluted water cuts the booziness just a little. I never use sugar, limonade or any other pollutant.

[Edited on 3-14-2012 by Udo]

[Edited on 3-14-2012 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 3-14-2012 at 01:33 AM

Hola Mi Amigo...

I like something similar to Alan's recipe, but probably more like a 1 1/2 parts tequila / 1 part Triple Sec / and 3 parts Sweet and Sour.

And...I agree with Mulege Michael about the Damiana. It really adds something unique to the flavor! But I add it in addition to the above - maybe a jigger's worth. It's pretty inexpensive in Baja, but is costly here, at BEV MO! it's about $28.

And about the LIMES...I like the small Key Limes best! Squeeze them in a Lime Squeezer and pick ou in stray seeds.

Also...as pointed out earlier. No need to waste expensive Tequila in a Margie. The popular brands like Jose Cuervo or Sauza Gold work very well!

Put it all into the shaker with some crushed ice and shake for at least 30 seconds. No need to strain. OR...if so inclined, put the ingredients in a blender with a couple of cups of ice and blend until ice is mostly crushed.

One more thing...Re: ICE. I haven't always had an ice maker in the refrigerator door and I like to use small ice cubes when available for making Margies or any other c-cktails. If you shop around, you can find ice trays that make small cubes around 1/2" or less in size. I like the way they work in a shaker or drink! Buy a bunch of them, the small ice cubes don't go as far as the big ones.

Whatever you decide to try, I hope you enjoy them!!!

Amo Pecar/ Michael / Miguelamo :yes: YES :yes: YES :yes:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2012 at 10:05 AM

I use 100% agave tequila in my margies. In the past I've been willing to spend a little extra for the pure agave as opposed to a blended product containing grain alcohol (50% +/-).

But the price difference isn't there anymore.

For those of you who use products like Cuervo Gold or Sauza Gold (they get their color not from the barrel but from an added ingredient like caramel) of course they will "work", but they cost in the range of $20 a bottle. Kirkland (that's right ... Costco) is selling a blanco 100% agave for just under $20. Why not have 100% agave if that is the case?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-14-2012 at 04:25 PM

you folks who live in baja are damn lucky- or maybe i should say fortunate.
i live in the desert SW where a large % are hispanic heritage, Mainly from Mexico.
there are hundreds of bars, resorts and GOOD mexican food joints here and NOT one makes a decent margarita unless you DIRECT the 'tender on how you want it made from scratch - and it will then cost you plenty IF they have any quality stuff. I mean - enuff with the mixes ad nausem here.
several have many bottles of prized cactus juice on display but they want ten bucks or more per shot - which is what they want to do - sell shots of good stuff. Ok - i get business, its ok for tourists...

i think any tequila good enuff to chill and drink straight should be done so - don't put it in a margarita.
but if you DO like limes and orange stuff like controy [i sure do!] then any 100% blue agave blanco like Sauza Azul seems to be fine.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 3-14-2012 at 07:02 PM

Scratch,rocks,salted rim,tumbler(hand blown glass). :cool:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2012 at 07:17 AM

For the record.....the Agave is not a cactus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave_tequilana

"It is a common misconception that agaves are cacti. They are not related to cacti, nor are they closely related to Aloe whose leaves are similar in appearance."
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-15-2012 at 07:41 AM

We're of the Cointreau, fresh mexican lime, reposado ilk. The Cointreau supplies the level of sweetness although we have also used the jarabe down here.

Dont be afraid to add a little drinking water to your mix if you're having trouble controlling the level of tartness. Sometimes chasing the tartness away with Cointreau gets too potent (and expensive!).

I'm up in Phoenix today and am bringing back a Cointreau knockoff made in France called Grand Imperial. About 4.00/bottle less. 80 proof.

The Controy is a devil's brew. We avoid it. It's the headache maker if you have more than 3-4 margs, not the tequila.

While Hornitos is our overall favorite tequila, if you want to taste the tequila (and not just alcohol) this is too light of a reposada. We have found an incredibly inexpensive tequila down here that we use in margs. It's called El Compadre. No, it doesnt come in plastic bottles. More oak flavor that makes it through the other ingredients. About 50 pesos/liter. I believe it's about 70 proof. There are many tequilas being marketed now that are less than 80 proof.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2012 at 08:20 AM

It's been mentioned, but the stateside product, Triple Sec, is a good substitute for Cointreau and the domestic product is far less expensive. I would defy anyone to diffrentiate the two in a Margarita.
dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2012 at 12:40 PM

I forgot to add, that if i'm really trying to impress my guests, I make the margaritas in the am of an evening party and add the grated zest of the limes used and let it steep in the frig until the event. Strain out the zest , shake and pour over lots of ice. Where's the party?

Dorado Don
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 11:02 AM

Wow, great response! Thanks nomads. After reading these suggestions, I went out and bought a bottle of organic, raw agave sweetener, a bottle of cheap triple sec and a quart bottle of Trader Joe's margarita mix to substitute for the sweet and sour. I've had this mix before and it's very good, not too sweet and with all natural ingredients. My margarita amiga informed me she located a bottle of damiana. I don't know where because our local Bevmo said it was sold out.

This being St. Patricio's weekend, a nice green margarita...or several should fit the bill. Wish me luck, I'm going to sacrifice my liver (and probably misplace my pants) in the name of research. Will report back.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 05:37 PM

My wife doesn't like Controy, says it tastes like licorice. We use Triple Sec, a simple syrup (50% sugar-50%water), and some Gran Mariner,fresh squeezed lime juice, friends rate ours very highly. One must practice constantly!!

[Edited on 3-17-2012 by Floatflyer]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 05:46 PM

I think someone slipped some ouzo or pernod in your bottle of controy:rolleyes:
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 3-16-2012 at 06:24 PM

juice of 1 lime and 1/2 orange 1 shot tequila, splash of any type of orange liquor, and the secret ingredient..splash of sprite, pour over ice...............the orange juice and sprite add the needed sweetener
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by volcano
juice of 1 lime and 1/2 orange 1 shot tequila, splash of any type of orange liquor, and the secret ingredient..splash of sprite, pour over ice...............the orange juice and sprite add the needed sweetener

Ha Ha!!! Splash of Sprite.

We used to buy Squirt in Mexico, drink some down out of the can and add tequila straight to the can. We called it a surfer's margarita cause we learned it from camping near them on beaches. Surfer's margaritas and animalitos crackers. Surfers will do ANYTHING to reduce time not allotted to surfing.

Not a fan of fizzy margs, though. Marv Patchen cured me of that. We began calling it a Fixed Income Margarita.

RIP, Marv.

Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Drink recipes morph.........or die from disuse. Look at the Old Fashion. If creative bartenders had kept tweeking that recipe, it would still be popular today. I mean....who wants to muddle a suger cube?

I think you've been SOB too long :D The Old Fashioned has been making a comeback over the last few years. Bartenders have been tweaking it. Here's the most successful of the variants - the Oaxaca Old Fashioned - it's pretty good.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 08:20 AM

Looks like there are as many ways to make a Margarita as there are stories about how it came to be...so I'll add mine :D

And I'll preface my recipe by saying that I make this Margarita recipe for my 92 (and a half) year old mother every weekend and she happily slurps them down; her 95 year old sister likes them too. And, as you'll see in the recipe, it's not a wimpy slurpy masquerading as a c-cktail ;D

I use a mid-range silver tequila, usually either El Jimador or Cazadores, both of which I can usually get on sale at BevMo or CVS for $20 +/-. Key limes are readily available at many stores in San Diego and are the lime to use.

1 part freshly squeezed lime juice (preferably from key limes)
1 part Citrónge
2 parts tequila (silver, 100% agave)
Agave syrup to taste (usually about 1 Tbls unless limes are super tart

Put ice in a c-cktail shaker, add all the ingredients including the agave syrup and shake well. Taste and adjust as needed, i.e. usually a little more agave syrup. Pour over ice in a double old fashioned glass (rim salted or not depending upon your preference).

Citrónge is a product from Patron (the tequila maker) available in the U.S. that is rumored to be Controy. It's usually available at BevMo (on the shelf under the Cointreau) at about 1/3 the cost of Cointreau. I think it's pretty close to Controy and is a way better option for a Maggie than Cointreau which tends to add too much sweetness to the drink.

Occasionally key limes can just be way too tart NOB and no amount of sweetner is going to take the edge off without making the drink way, way too sweet. Adding a little bit of orange juice will often do the trick and round out the drink without changing the overall character of it.

Salud
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 08:33 AM

I stumbled upon this recipe several years ago when I needed to make a lot of Maggies for a party I was having. I was surprised at how tasty it is.

3 days prior to making the actual Margaritas, start by adding 5 whole chile de arbols to a new bottle of silver tequila. Put in a dark place for 3 days to infuse. After 3 days, decant the chile flavored tequila, removed the chile de arbols from the bottle, discard them and then put the tequila back in the bottle.

Red Chile Guava Margaritas
2 1/2 Cups of the chile infused tequlia
1 1/2 Cups Triple Sec (or Citrónge)
1 1/2 Cups Guava Nectar (1-12 oz can)
1 Cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 Cups freshly squeezed lime juice

Mix all the ingredients together in a large container, serve over ice.

Makes 1/2 gallon of Margaritas. It does leave you with about 1/2 a bottle of chile infused tequila. If you don't want that leftover, just double the recipe for the full gallon.

This may sound like a frou-frou Maggie, but it's not. It's a pretty well balanced drink with a little bit of a spicy kick.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 10:52 AM

ever try eating the marinated chile's?
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 12:15 PM

Sure a pickled jalapeño is nothing more than one that is marinated in a pickling brine.

But if you're asking about the chiles that come out of the tequila, I did take a bite out of one the first time I infused a bottle of tequila. Tasted pretty much just like a chile that had been soaking in tequila for a few days. The bite to the arbol had softened just a bit, tho', and it was pretty flaccid.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 12:31 PM

Will take mine similar to a frozen slushy. Be careful, you might freeze your goozle.:spingrin:
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.