BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Margaritas....shaken, not blended (or stirred)
vivaloha
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 07:26 PM

Dear Nomads-

my personal fave includes DAMIANA (herbaceous liquor in a matronly bottle) and
proper fizzy water..

Margs for 4 people in a medium sized pitcher

- 6 shots of tequila
- 3 shots of controy or triple sec or contreui (spelling)
- 1 shot of Damiana
------
- 4 shots of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 6 shots of fresh bubbly water (club soda)

Balance the alcohol and non alcohol adding ice o plenty

Try this recipe and get back to me cuz this is a classy marg...
The bubbly water eases it and makes it make it more drinkable.

Reminder - to stay medium on point during a night of margs...
ADVICE - when you marg is half filled, refill it with bubbly water
and you will retain the taste, stay hydrated and keep yourself mellow...

DAMIANA and bubbly water on top of your usual Tequila and Controy...

Baja California can be a heaven or hell experience - often the determining factor is your AWARENESS in the moment.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 04:44 PM

OK, I had some people over at my place in La Paz a couple of weeks ago and perfected my latest recipe for margaritas _ BLENDED.

Also, I am an admittedly cheap SOB, but I still like good taste. Here is my recipe for one margarita:

I use a shot glass that is 1.2 volumetric ounces.

I shot of fresh squeezed lime juice (about 3 key limes)
1 shot of orange juice
4 or 5 ice cubes (about 3.75 ounces of weight)
2 rounded table spoons of sugar (like a table spoon for the table - not the formal table spoon for baking measurement, or, more accurately, about 0.9 ounces in weight)
1 shot of medium to low quality tequila, the stinkier the better. I use Jose Cuervo Especial .... sorry folks.

Blend the heck out of it. Salt the rim, of the glass (any plain glass that will hold it all) and garnish with a lime wheel. If you have any pizazz at all, top with a splash of Damiana. If you are rich, top with Grand Marnier instead of Damiana.

You might want to blend the ingredients twice, once before adding the ice and tequila in order to dissolve the sugar, then after adding the tequila and ice.

I no longer use triple sec or Cointreau. Triple sec is almost as costly as tequila these days, and Cointreau is 4 times more costly than Jose Cuervo Especial. Putting a shot of orange juice instead adds more orange flavor and scent in my opinion, and it's much cheaper. Besides, Cointreau is 80 proof, Controy is 70% ... too much alcohol, not enough flavor. The triple secs range from 50 proof to 25 proof, that's OK but not enough orange flavor.... don't need the additional alcohol. If you want more alcohol, add more stinky tequila.

People love em.

If you use high grade tequila and Cointreau, you can't taste the alcohol and you will get snockered before you know it.

[Edited on 3-20-2012 by MitchMan]
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 10:54 AM

I'll vouch for Mitchman's margaritas. They were definitely tasty.

I assume you are NOB. Let me know when you are back in town. I should be here until June.

In Memory of E-57
Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 11:49 AM

I buy 1.75 liters of Triple Sec (Napolean brand) at my local market for $10.99, so any basic need for orange liqueur is covered cheaply.

I also keep a bottle of bottle of Damiana, Grand Marnier, and Cointreau on hand for the times when I want a premium marg (often). I admit that I don't serve premium margs to all that visit ... just to those that appreciate or request the upgrades.

For a close knock off to Grand Marnier, try substituting Gran Torres at roughly half the cost. You'll be surprised how close they are ... try a blind taste!

I've had margies with an ounce of OJ tossed in, and they can be tasty. Variety is the spice of life.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 12:01 PM

great tip on the gran torres. where do you find it?
Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 12:33 PM

Gran Torres ... I know you can get it on line like at Holiday Wine Cellar (they sell at $22-$23) but I'm checking on easier sourcing for you. I'll report back.

It's been a while since I bought some (bought a case a few years ago at $17 per bottle) and it looks like availability has narrowed, at least at local large retail liquor stores.

The taste compared to Grand Marnier is remarkably close.

It's an orange liqueur from Spain.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
OK, I had some people over at my place in La Paz a couple of weeks ago and perfected my latest recipe for margaritas _ BLENDED.

Also, I am an admittedly cheap SOB, but I still like good taste. Here is my recipe for one margarita:

I use a shot glass that is 1.2 volumetric ounces.

I shot of fresh squeezed lime juice (about 3 key limes)
1 shot of orange juice
4 or 5 ice cubes (about 3.75 ounces of weight)
2 rounded table spoons of sugar (like a table spoon for the table - not the formal table spoon for baking measurement, or, more accurately, about 0.9 ounces in weight)
1 shot of medium to low quality tequila, the stinkier the better. I use Jose Cuervo Especial .... sorry folks.

Blend the heck out of it. Salt the rim, of the glass (any plain glass that will hold it all) and garnish with a lime wheel. If you have any pizazz at all, top with a splash of Damiana. If you are rich, top with Grand Marnier instead of Damiana.

You might want to blend the ingredients twice, once before adding the ice and tequila in order to dissolve the sugar, then after adding the tequila and ice.

I no longer use triple sec or Cointreau. Triple sec is almost as costly as tequila these days, and Cointreau is 4 times more costly than Jose Cuervo Especial. Putting a shot of orange juice instead adds more orange flavor and scent in my opinion, and it's much cheaper. Besides, Cointreau is 80 proof, Controy is 70% ... too much alcohol, not enough flavor. The triple secs range from 50 proof to 25 proof, that's OK but not enough orange flavor.... don't need the additional alcohol. If you want more alcohol, add more stinky tequila.

People love em.

If you use high grade tequila and Cointreau, you can't taste the alcohol and you will get snockered before you know it.

[Edited on 3-20-2012 by MitchMan]

Good recipe. I would use simple syrup though. Easy to make, equal parts sugar and water heat to simmer stir until blended. Just keep in fridge, humming birds like it too!

Ken
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 01:06 PM

at 1:1 ratios my hummingbirds would get too fat to fly pretty quick :lol:

Besides, when I am down here I find myself getting La Pazzed, pretty quick, so now I just buy the Jarabe :lol:

[Edited on 3-21-2012 by Alan]

[Edited on 3-21-2012 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 09:37 AM

Having trouble finding Guaycura Damiana in La Paz. 10 years ago it was all over the place and cheap. None at WalMart, nor Chedraui, nor Ley. Last November I had to hunt it down and found one bottle available at Aramburo on Forjadores near 5 de Febrero.

Any suggestions in La Paz?
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 09:43 AM

hey mitchman, take a short drive to el triunfo just south of town...the local artisans make damiana from the wild variety up there and it's really really good...and affordable!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 10:29 AM

Got a good buy on Cabrito Reposado in Constitucion last week. Googled it, and it showed to be 100% agave.
It is 76 proof, but nowhere on the bottle does it show to be 100% agave, which is strange, since all distillers take pride in their undiluted product. :?::?::?:

This came up on Google:
Light straw color. Medium strength grassy and herbal aromas. Light on the palate with a lean frame. Mint, pine, and camomile notes are followed by a dose of acidity. Then, a docile burn with slight medicinal notes at the very end. Short finish. A sturdy Tequila and quite a value for 100% agave. The product tasted was purchased in Mexico and is 76 proof.

[Edited on 3-22-2012 by vandenberg]

[Edited on 3-22-2012 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 12:19 PM

I had a heavenly Mango Margarita last week at Porky's BBQ on the Malecon in La Paz. It's probably sacrilegious to a Margi purist, but man was it good- like a fresh smoothie. My husband was just starting to sip his, and I was "pau", as they say. After a couple of those and a nice dinner, we got to stroooolll back to the hotel. I should have asked the waiter his recipe before enjoying the drinks cuz all I remember is something about mango juice and fresh/frozen mangos...
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 12:36 PM
porky's

HOLA, I'm at porky's using the internet and having Killer Rib's...guess I'll have to come back latter this afternoon and have a marg LOL great place on the malacon and beach/bay veiw...I keep wondering what the rich folk's are doing???? K & T :cool:
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 01:51 PM

Hi Mike...

Was just looking at something else on the net when I found tis cool blog by a pro Bartender from Portland, OR. He has an easy recipe for a 'homemade' Sweet and Sour Mix and many other mixers and c-cktails.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2007/ask-your-bartender-s...

Miguelamo :yes: ;) :saint: :yes:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA, I'm at porky's using the internet and having Killer Rib's...guess I'll have to come back latter this afternoon and have a marg LOL great place on the malacon and beach/bay veiw...I keep wondering what the rich folk's are doing???? K & T :cool:

Hey captkw, were you in La Paz last week? While loading our truck with stuff at Walmart, there was a smiling guy in the parking lot in a volvo with a dog and a fishing pole in the car and for some reason I had a weird thought- I wonder if that's captkw?

Be careful with Señor Porky's 2-for-1 margarita special. I'm glad we were walking.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 02:43 PM

Lazy man's Margarita

Tequila, Cointreau, Fresca, lime.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 02:44 PM

No blender? In a hurry? Too lazy to follow a reipe?

Try a Paloma. Just tequila and Squirt. Simplicity itself.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 04:46 PM
oladulce

Hola,dog with shades/fishing pole/volva = capt "K" ,,yes that's a me and I will have to go back and try a marg !!..K&T:cool:
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 05:17 PM
More variations...

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
Hi Mike...

Was just looking at something else on the net when I found tis cool blog by a pro Bartender from Portland, OR. He has an easy recipe for a 'homemade' Sweet and Sour Mix and many other mixers and c-cktails.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2007/ask-your-bartender-s...

Miguelamo :yes: ;) :saint: :yes:

Miguel,
That is great! Now I've got a new tangent to head off in. BTW, we loved the Damiana Maggies - gives a distinctive spicyness and depth to a sweet drink.

Sour Mix
2 parts simple syrup
2 parts lemon juice
1 part lime juice

Make as much, or as little, as you want. Bottle it and use it anywhere, in place of the crap you find at the supermarket. Want a whiskey sour? 2 ounces whiskey, 2 ounces sour mix, on the rocks. Margarita? 2 ounces tequila, 1 ounce triple sec, 2 ounces sour mix

Here's another recipe for the simpleton's in-a-hurry maggie:

Insert one lemon head candy in your boca
Pour one packet of restaurant sugar in your boca
Toss one shot of tequila in your boca

Swish around as if you were using a mouth wash. Swallow. Repeat. :tumble:

lem3.JPG - 25kB

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-23-2012 at 01:12 PM
From the LA Weekly: Happy National Margarita Day + Two Border Grill Margarita Recipes

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2010/02/national_margarit...

By Amy Scattergood Mon., Feb. 22 2010

Today is National Margarita Day. Of course it's a ridiculous and completely fabricated holiday, probably invented by the makers of some brand of tequila or powdered margarita mix. But if you like margaritas, you should ignore that crass reality and just pretend that Ernest Hemingway invented the day instead. Sure, Hemingway is known primarily as a daiquiri man, but who cares. He often didn't.

So to celebrate this fictional occasion, here are two margarita recipes from Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken (Border Grill, Ciudad). The Cucumber Jalapeño Margarita and the Border Grill Añejo Margarita are both on the menu at the Border Grill in Santa Monica, should you feel like swinging by the restaurant instead of making them yourself. But margaritas are easy to make, and there's nothing quite like mixing up a pitcher of them at home with friends, maybe with a moveable feast of your own design.

Cucumber Jalapeño Margarita
Makes: 1 drink

6 slices peeled cucumber
2 to 3 slices jalapeño
1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
1 heaping teaspoon superfine sugar, to taste
Ice, for rocks glass
1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
3/4 ounce orange liqueur
1 cucumber slice, for garnish

1. In a rocks glass, combine the cucumber, jalapeño, lime juice, and superfine sugar. Using a muddler or the back of a spoon, mash the cucumber and jalapeño until they start to break up and release their juices and oils.

2. Fill rocks glass with ice. Add tequila and orange liqueur. Place a mixing glass over the rocks glass. Holding glasses together firmly, shake gently to combine. Return margarita mixture to rocks glass and garnish with a cucumber slice. Serve immediately.

Border Grill Añejo Margarita
Makes: 1 drink

1 lime wedge
Kosher salt
Ice, for c-cktail shaker
1 1/2 ounces añejo tequila
1/2 ounce orange liqueur
2 1/2 ounces Border Grill Citrus Mix (see recipe below)
1 lime wheel, for garnish

1. Wet the rim of a chilled martini glass with lime wedge. Cover a small plate with salt to a depth of 1/4 inch. Dip rim of glass in salt and set aside.

2. Fill a c-cktail shaker with ice. Add tequila, orange liqueur, and citrus mix. Shake vigorously for 15 to 20 seconds. Strain into salt-rimmed martini glass, garnish with a lime wheel.

Border Grill Citrus Mix
Makes: 4 cups

2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 cups simple syrup*

1. Combine ingredients in a glass container. Can be stored in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.

* To make simple syrup: Combine equal parts water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cool and reserve in refrigerator for up to a month.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.