Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "GONE WITH THE WIND!!"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 05:24 PM
"GONE WITH THE WIND!!"

..psst..got some wind pics? post 'em here..

WIND, you say! Allow me to 'vent' a little then:

Some small solace to our present no-boating/no fishing conditions in Baja Sur is the fact that we are not alone with all these @$%#!*) high winds day after day!!

MISSION BEACH -2010 STORM EROSION

WINDY AFTERNOON AT LAKE OF THE WOODS, MINNESOTA (this campground is aptly named: 'Breezy Point')

MAKING USE OF THE WIND...Co-pilot's laundry, Coos Bay, Oregon Coast

..AND ANOTHER WINDY DAY AT LAKE SAKAKAWEA, NORTH DAKOTA
(A place where everyone knows that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the reed or willow survives by bending with the wind. )

The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in a primeval wood, and the sound of outer ocean on a beach.

If you love doing things in the wind..try the Oregon Coast! A great experience!!

[Edited on 3-22-2012 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 05:35 PM

GeesOmeesO it's windy as the dickens. And it's more than plenty cold here in L.B.:no:

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 06:24 PM

This was a few weeks ago heading north out of GN towards the turn off for El Cañon. That night I thought our camper was going to blow over. The wind was really loud!

[Edited on 3-22-2012 by goldhuntress]
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 07:39 PM

Pompano,

How BIG is Lake of the Woods?? There is no far shore in site, only a horizon of water!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Pompano,

How BIG is Lake of the Woods?? There is no far shore in site, only a horizon of water!

RnR...LOW is a huge lake...HUGE.

Here's a map I made once showing some fishing info on the area.

..and here's a Google satellite photo...like I said...it's Huge..and very, very scenic....BUT CAN BE WINDY!

Lake of the Woods (French: lac des Bois) is a lake occupying parts of the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Manitoba and the U.S. state of Minnesota. It separates a small land area of Minnesota from the rest of the United States. The Northwest Angle and the town of Angle Township can only be reached from the rest of Minnesota by crossing the lake or by traveling through Canada.

The Northwest Angle is the northernmost part of the contiguous United States.

Lake of the Woods is fed by the Rainy River, Shoal Lake, Kakagi Lake and other smaller rivers. The lake drains into the Winnipeg River and then into Lake Winnipeg. Ultimately, its outflow goes north through the Nelson River to Hudson Bay.

Lake of the Woods is over seventy miles long and wide, and contains more than 14,552 islands and 65,000 miles (105,000 km) of shoreline.

It would amount to the longest coastline of any Canadian lake, except that the lake is not entirely within Canada.

Lake of the Woods is also the 6th largest freshwater lake located (at least partially) in the United States- after the five Great Lakes.

It is one of the best pike, muskie, & walleye-fishing lakes I have found yet! Also great for smallmouth and lake trout.

But, because of the large expanses of open water, it can also be a very dangerous place to be in hiigh winds....very dangerous as I recounted in this previous thread about an adventure my wife and I had on Lake of the Woods back in the summer of 2004.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=13673#pid1150...

Normally, Felipa is smiling in the boat...

but not this day!

!! W I N D Y T I M E S !!

[Edited on 3-22-2012 by Pompano]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 09:04 AM

For lotsa Walleye action you should try Seminole lake in wyoming sometime. Plus, you can fish in the AM and nail pronghorns in the PM:
Seminoe State Park is surrounded by giant dunes of white sand, acres of sagebrush, thousands of pronghorn antelope and sage grouse, all under the bluest of Wyoming skies. Located 34 miles northeast of Rawlins, Seminoe State Park features the moon-like Seminoe Mountains, Seminoe Reservoir and the “Miracle Mile” of the North Platte River. The section’s nickname is based on its reputation for outstanding trout fishing. The reservoir is home to both trout and walleye. The park provides facilities for anglers, boaters, picnickers, campers and hikers. Seminoe has 180 miles of shoreline and is one of the largest man-made reservoirs in Wyoming and the largest of the Wyoming State Parks system.

Bob Durrell
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
For lotsa Walleye action you should try Seminole lake in wyoming sometime. Plus, you can fish in the AM and nail pronghorns in the PM:
Seminoe State Park is surrounded by giant dunes of white sand, acres of sagebrush, thousands of pronghorn antelope and sage grouse, all under the bluest of Wyoming skies. Located 34 miles northeast of Rawlins, Seminoe State Park features the moon-like Seminoe Mountains, Seminoe Reservoir and the “Miracle Mile” of the North Platte River. The section’s nickname is based on its reputation for outstanding trout fishing. The reservoir is home to both trout and walleye. The park provides facilities for anglers, boaters, picnickers, campers and hikers. Seminoe has 180 miles of shoreline and is one of the largest man-made reservoirs in Wyoming and the largest of the Wyoming State Parks system.

Ah durrelrobert, thanks for the heads up on walleye fishing! ...Actually, I know that lake fairly well, having fished it 3-4 times in the past on my north-south routes from the Dakotas to Baja. Usually by way of Rawlins from the south. Had great luck with walleyes on shadraps trolled slowly..much like Lake of the Woods techniques.

I make the same easy mistake calling it Seminole..not Seminoe...the Wyoming guys really enjoy correcting us foreigners! Hey..close enough, I figure?

We have rented cabins on the Platte, caught some nice browns down deep and bows in the river, too.

PLUS...I ALSO KNOW THAT....WYOMING IS NOTED FOR PLACES WITH HIGH WINDS!! LOTS OF TRUCK AND CAMPER ROLL-OVERS.
[/size]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 10:17 AM

I should know better since my uncle has a place there in an area that's not part of the state park. Seminoe Reservoir is in Seminole State Park, GO FIGURE.

Bob Durrell

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.