Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Stretch of sand/beach disappears at Los Frailes
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 05:08 AM
Stretch of sand/beach disappears at Los Frailes

http://www.bajafisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?972-There-...

Posted: 03-28-2012 01:38 PM
by Robin Wade, WON Baja Editor

"Sunday morning (March 26) the beach in Los Frailes disappeared --- lost forever were 200 meters of beachfront by 100 meters deep. The red line is where the beach was the day before. The angler that emailed the photo in said the beach disappeared very quickly and is now a steep bank that appears to still be slowly eroding."

[Edited on 4-2-2012 by BajaNews]

frailes-disappeared.jpg - 18kB

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 05:12 AM
Desaparece tramo de la playa Los Frailes en BCS

http://www.aztecanoticias.com.mx/notas/estados-y-df/104751/d...

Gerardo Zúñiga
01 de abril de 2012

Los Cabos, Baja California Sur.- Hoy a las 5:00 de la mañana ocurrió una especie de explosión y desapareció un tramo de la playa Los Frailes en Cabo Pulmo, Baja California Sur.

El delegado municipal de La Ribera (cabecera municipal de esa zona), Guillermo Sández Puppo señala que tal fenómeno nunca había ocurrido en la zona. Relata que hace 20 años pasó algo similar, pero nunca de la magnitud como el que se vio ahora.

Con la llegada de las vacaciones de Semana Santa, y en virtud de que muchas familias, suelen acampar en la playa Los Frailes en Cabo Pulmo durante miércoles, jueves y viernes de días Santos, el delegado advierte a los vacacionistas que se preparan para arribar a la zona, que si lo hacen, no acampen cerca de la zona de playa, pues desaparecieron millones de toneladas de arena y se desconoce qué fue lo que sucedió.

Los pobladores de la región se están atónicos, aunque se cree que el fenómeno fue provocado por una falla geológica.

[Edited on 4-2-2012 by BajaNews]

Desaparece-tramo-playa.jpg - 50kB

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 06:19 AM

No real solid consensus locally about this sandfall but it has happened before (more than once). The beach lies atop a steep subterrainian cliff where natural sandfalls could occur and some believe there has been some small volcanism along the shores that could be the cause. (subbase chambers)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 06:52 AM

Thats something. I'll check with FishingRich. He is camping near there right now.
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:10 AM

perhaps related to the subsequent earthquake?
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:45 AM

Wow, you let the government manage the beach and then all of the sudden there is a sand shortage, I am supprised. JH:lol::lol::lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:46 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:47 AM

holy smokes !!! glad it happened BEFORE semana santa campers were on that beach ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by volcano
perhaps related to the subsequent earthquake?

Very likely!!! Beaches come and go depending on lots of variables. Our beach in Coronado had done it many many times, sometimes seriously!!!

Barry
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 08:42 AM

I have seen this erosion happen in numerous beaches in California, Baja, as well as Fiji.
May take a year or so, but the sand will return!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 09:28 AM

Sounds to me like an April fools joke.
I was there early last week and 3 boats were quietly sitting for anchor and about 10 campers spread around from aryo to higher up. If this happened, quite a few pangas should have been gone, zodiacs and kayaks that were all parked close to the high water line.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 04:32 PM

On Google Earth it appears there is quite deep water just off the beach just south of the output of the arroyo. It seems logical that occasionally that submarine sand pile would avalanche into the depths. I'm sure there's another name for it, but is is easy to sense how easily a mass of sand could be moved by submarine "liquifaction" in a seismic event.

That's quite a scene. Like many, I've stood right there!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 04:41 PM

just north of frailles, maybe 3-4 miles is an area that has been disappearing over the past 20 years or so....the "used to be" around a dozen houses right out there on the "edge" of the SOC....there's none now...still....it's a beautiful stretch of beach...ya gotta like that part!!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 06:44 PM

I think it is a Commie plot....waddya think, DK? :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:13 PM

I've seldom seen a more obvious case of damage from climate change.....or the new marina....or the proposed development.....everyone knows that these things don't occur naturally:lol::lol::lol:...dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:16 PM

Next your going to say Munoz stole it!:lol::lol::lol:
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 07:35 PM

"just north of frailles, maybe 3-4 miles is an area that has been disappearing over the past 20 years or so....the "used to be" around a dozen houses right out there on the "edge" of the SOC....there's none now...still....it's a beautiful stretch of beach...ya gotta like that part!! "

The above quote is somewhat inaccurate. The affected area is in Las Barracas and there was no damage to houses till after '97 as that is when I first had first hand knowledge of the area. There has now been 5 houses that have been destroyed and there are 3 more that are severly damaged and in serious jeopardy. This damage is solely due to wind, tide, and wave action. The ocean floor is very flat and under 40 ft in depth for a long distance from shore. All of these houses were built on sand dunes but at the time of building there was well over 100 ft of sand dune between the houses and the water. There has been some attempts at protecting existing houses but the long term prognosis is up in the air. This area is within the Cabo Pulmo Marine Park and is subject to scrutinity for any beach activity.

Leo: The Los Frailes event took place in less than a day. I went down and examined the area a day or two afterwards. There were never any campers in this area as it is directly in front of the now closed Hotel Los Frailes and that beach area is kept clear of campers. The new bay is just south of the arroyo and that area can have many campers and boats/pangas.
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 05:02 AM

Kind of creepy nonetheless. I wonder if you're relaxing on the beach with a cooler do you have time to make a run for it? Is it like quicksand?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 05:11 AM

i'm sure the water would be churning and off color. or it might seem like the tide was coming up fast while right down the beach nothing was out of the ordinary. i doubt it would be quick like an avalanche, but who knows?

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajario
Kind of creepy nonetheless. I wonder if you're relaxing on the beach with a cooler do you have time to make a run for it? Is it like quicksand?

Saw a small beach on a creek disappear, sank about 2" below the surface, made a hissing sound.;)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.