Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Stretch of sand/beach disappears at Los Frailes
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2012 at 06:01 PM

I am still not sure about it... Wish one of our East Cape Nomads could go take a picture... and post it. El Jefe???

I also went underwater with GE and did not see any deep canyons next to the coast. One other idea is maybe a sudden flood poured from some water line break or a well drilled or ?? and that erosion (if real) is simply sand washed out to sea. It will come back, and the original WON reporter to say it is 'gone forever' must believe the sky is falling or that Global Warming was real?

[Edited on 4-5-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2012 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I am still not sure about it... Wish one of our East Cape Nomads could go take a picture... and post it. El Jefe???

I also went underwater with GE and did not see any deep canyons next to the coast. One other idea is maybe a sudden flood poured from some water line break or a well drilled or ?? and that erosion (if real) is simply sand washed out to sea. It will come back, and the original WON reporter to say it is 'gone forever' must believe the sky is falling or that Global Warming was real?

[Edited on 4-5-2012 by David K]

And the the photo by Mr Hernandez Taken on the 25th?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2012 at 06:17 PM

Great... let's see more than just one... from a different angle, etc.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2012 at 06:24 PM

There is a submarine canyon right off the beach at Frailes. My friends house is in those google earth shots David K posted. My guess is sand buildup onshore eventually top heavied the "cliff" that goes down underwater and "boom" and avalanche occurred. I remember swimming in this exact area and my friend saying the sea floor went down hundreds of feet just a few 10's of meters off the beach. Actually, I remember him sayin a couple thousand feet but he is also a chit talker. My son and I swam out to a buoy offshore when he was 6 yrs old. Good times.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-4-2012 at 06:47 PM

ateo, that would be similar to black's. i dunno, black's and places like puerto escondido are freaks of natur in that they are some of the world deepest submarine canyons closest to the sand anywhere in the world.

i'm not saying frailes isn't similar as 98% of my ocean experience has revolved around surf producing locales.

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 4-5-2012 at 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
There is a submarine canyon right off the beach at Frailes. My friends house is in those google earth shots David K posted. My guess is sand buildup onshore eventually top heavied the "cliff" that goes down underwater and "boom" and avalanche occurred.

No doubt it was an underwater landslide or sandslide as the case may be. There was a mouring buoy just offshore in that spot which ,as I recall, was anchored in 100ft. It vanished during the event. Pulled under or swept away by the moving sand on the bottom.
This event has happened in exact same spot before. Though it has been many years.
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2012 at 07:07 AM

The first picture I took on Monday, March 27th. I did not see the event, but a friend did and said "--------- was actually on the beach with her kayak the Sunday morning the "event" began. There was no boom or loud noise as some have reported. Approx. 50 yards of beach disappeared in the first hour, then the erosion tapered off. "

Since then soundings in the new bay reveal it to be 140 ft. deep, with what appears to be a large rock at the entrance.
According to local ranchers this happened in the late '60's or early '70's at the same location and at that time there was a fish camp there and they lost some gear and a truck.
Here is an animation using pictures taken from the top of the hill on the north side of the bay comparing 2011 to 2012.
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/eastcapehomes

[Edited on 4-5-2012 by Paulclark]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2012 at 07:57 AM

Great report Paul and welcome back. The link wants me to logon to view the animation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
The first picture I took on Monday, March 27th. I did not see the event, but a friend did and said "--------- was actually on the beach with her kayak the Sunday morning the "event" began. There was no boom or loud noise as some have reported. Approx. 50 yards of beach disappeared in the first hour, then the erosion tapered off. "

Since then soundings in the new bay reveal it to be 140 ft. deep, with what appears to be a large rock at the entrance.
According to local ranchers this happened in the late '60's or early '70's at the same location and at that time there was a fish camp there and they lost some gear and a truck.
Here is an animation using pictures taken from the top of the hill on the north side of the bay comparing 2011 to 2012.
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/eastcapehomes

[Edited on 4-5-2012 by Paulclark]
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2012 at 08:21 AM

Try:
http://eastcapehomes.tumblr.com/post/20525422616/los-frailes...

or

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150898542288626
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2012 at 08:29 AM

Thanks. that works
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2012 at 09:15 AM

Having walked this beach many times, this thread creeps me out! Crazy....
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 02:02 PM

Ok, here is the best photos I could come up with. #1 is looking to the north, note existing palapas, then arroyo, and some Semana Santa campers. #3 you can see the Hotel Los Frailes to the left(closed).

Looking south is mainly Semana Santa campers. A friend that lives in Los Frailes took his boat and fish finder and said that where the old beach line was, is now 140 feet deep.

[Edited on 4-6-2012 by Floatflyer]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 02:22 PM

Fantastic photos... Looks like an extra high tide, for sure... Isn't the moon FULL right now?

It does look like darker water (deeper) coming close to shore there.... so an undersea landslide into a undersea canyon? Otherwise, what was the former beach sitting on?

Thank you Floatflyer, well done! Amazing that when the slide happened, nobody heard it or saw a mini- tsunami form??

[Edited on 4-6-2012 by David K]

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
ateo, that would be similar to black's. i dunno, black's and places like puerto escondido are freaks of natur in that they are some of the world deepest submarine canyons closest to the sand anywhere in the world.

i'm not saying frailes isn't similar as 98% of my ocean experience has revolved around surf producing locales.

Totally. Like I said I doubted the thousands of feet statement from my friend, but it does go down pretty deep....Supposedly.

No blacks for sure, that's not common. I do know a secret spot down in this area if you ever find yourself there on a 15 foot south swell or hurricane.;D;D

bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 09:27 PM

If it goes down 140 ft now, then it might take a few thousand years to get that sand built backup to that level. Or one good hurricane. I don't know. But eventually it will build back. How many lifetimes is anybodys guess.
Those aerial shots clearly show the dropoff a few feet from the beach. I'm so used to gradual sloping beaches this unbeknownst phenom to me is crazy. I would pick another beach to camp on.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 09:31 PM

very cool, in my opinion. just think of the pelagics that will be cruising within 10 feet of the sand!!!!

Bajachief

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 09:45 PM
Los Frailes

Was fishing at East Cape one year and the tuna were found at Frailes. We were fishing and catching 30-50 pound YFT right in front of the hotel. The whole fleet was in there.
Long boat ride from Rancho Leonero.
Next trip we went and stayed at Hotel Los Frailes but the tuna had moved elsewhere. It is DEEP as in hundreds of feet deep.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 08:46 AM

That area is in the park and well patrolled these days. They keep the fleet out of there for the most part.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.