Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Javier Plascencia leads the culinary charge in Tijuana
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-4-2012 at 02:35 PM
Javier Plascencia leads the culinary charge in Tijuana

From The San Diego City Beat: http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/print-article-10359-print...

By Alex Zaragoza

The chef helps define the style of the often misunderstood border town

"If you feed them, they will come. It’s a simple idea that Chef Javier Plascencia has turned into an entire movement. He firmly believes good food can overcome the bad publicity Tijuana has received in the last few years due to the gruesome drug wars that have frightened citizens and reduced tourism.

Times of cultural revival follow every dark period, and the Tijuana renaissance has already begun. Nightlife is booming, theater houses sell out regularly, Baja wines are getting attention for their full flavors and many feel Plascencia is the coxswain pushing the charge forward in the culinary world. He’s garnered attention worldwide for the complex dishes he creates and serves at his restaurant, Misión 19, an open space consisting of cement, wood and walls of windows overlooking the Zona Rio, less than 10 minutes from the border.

“Tijuana is becoming a food destination—a foodie city. We’re excited about that,” says the 44-year-old chef, who opened Misión 19 in January 2011. “[People are] hooked. The government knows this. It’s because of the food that people are coming back.”

Through his colorful, textured, modern Mexican dishes Plascencia tells the story of Tijuana, encompassing the life, history and varied cultures that dwell within its dusty boundaries. He incorporates Asian ingredients as a nod to the city’s large Chinese community. There’s the presence of Mediterranean-type ingredients grown locally and in abundance in Baja California, thanks to its proximity to the ocean, warm weather and farms and vineyards. And bits from all over Mexico that are most commonly found in the street carts and puestos around town find their way onto the plate.

“Tijuana has its own ambiance, its own style,” Plascencia says. “The street food is great. I travel a lot, and I always come back to Tijuana and think it’s the best street-food city that exists. We take a lot of inspiration from that for my own dishes.”

In combining these elements, the chef carves out a style that is quintessentially Tijuanense, a mixture of many pieces found in the city elevated to a higher level of flavor.

“Huge props to Javi because he’s been the pioneer of this whole movement,” says friend Marcela Valladolid, host of the Food Network’s Mexican Made Easy. “He’s got so much passion for promoting Tijuana, talking about the food, and it’s kind of happening at the same time that people are realizing that we’re blessed in Baja with the most amazing ingredients.”

Valladolid, born in San Diego but raised in Tijuana, believes the rehabilitation of Tijuana’s image lies in its amazing food, and Plascencia is “a total representation of what’s going on from a culinary perspective in Baja.”

That vision didn’t come right away for Plascencia—though, being the son of one of the biggest restaurateurs in Tijuana, it’s not too much of a surprise that he eventually got it. His father, Juan José Plascencia, owns 11 eateries around the city and in San Diego, including four Giuseppi’s pizzerias, Casa Plascencia, Villa Saverios and Romesco over the border in Bonita. The young Plascencia, along with his brothers, had to work at the family businesses every weekend and is grateful that he did. It served as the foundation for his career.

After graduating from high school, he told his parents that he’d like to study to be a chef at the Culinary Institute of America in New York. Worried his son might not feel the same in a year, Juan José sent him to study at San Diego Mesa College instead. After completing his courses and remaining passionate about his career choice, the two men took off for a long trip to Europe and came back to open their first restaurant together.

Now, 20 years later, Plascencia has stepped away to make his own mark, taking the lessons he learned from his father to start Misión 19.

“It’s like musicians: Sometimes they want to do something on their own, and then they come back to their group,” he explains. “My family doesn’t mind it. They just support me.”

To further get the word out on what Tijuana has to offer the palette, Plascencia does pop-up restaurants in Los Angeles and San Diego, hoping to get people “hooked” and lure them across the border. He travels all over to spread the gospel, learn more and find inspiration for his dishes.

While away, he relies on his young sous chef, Adria Montaño, whom the staff calls “La Mama,” even though she’s only 25, because of her ability to maintain the strict kitchen environment Plascencia prefers.

“I think working here is an accomplishment, apart from being a source of pride for me, because we’re greatly representing what we are here in Tijuana,” Montaño says.

“She understands my philosophy of what I want to do with my dishes,” Plascencia says. “I’m very excited about this team. We’ve only been open a year and four months, but the team is getting it together. It’s growing. It’s like a kid. I know when this restaurant turns 2 or 3 years old, it’s going to be very, very good.

“Cooking is the only thing that I know how to do well,” he says. “I know that’s what I’m always going to be doing.”

Email Alex Zaragoza or editor@sdcitybeat.com. You can also bug Alex on Twitter.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 09:20 AM
A Friend's Response to This Story

"Oh La La, I do like Javier. Handsome, eh? Would I ever love an authentic taco and a good Mexican meal. 'Brings to mind, the lsrge Mexican restaurant ion the square in Old Town where sapodillas are freshly made and served with honey. The El Matador on Newport Blvd, is probably the best in Newport. Here, as far as I know yet, we have no good Mexican foodies. Taco Bell.Ho Ho. Actually, on a right day, the tostada is not bad. The burritos ingredients fall to the bottom.There is a colorful Mex restaurant up on North Shore in Haleiwa. We haven't tried that yet.The commercials are inviting. A long busy ride back home after a margarita or two. Maybe next time we stay over at Turtle Bay we will try it.

When we moved to California in the 60's, I thought going to Tijuana was the best. Wish I had the family photo for sending taken by a street photographer with the make believe donkey. The boys were just little fellas. Tyler was maybe six. Brandon was justa little bigger than a toddler. He was a good looking Mexican with his black hair to his shoulders, the small sombrero. Later, when I became a painter on canvass, I went to Tijuana for picture frames or the material for them. On one of those trips, Tyler wandered away while I was negotiating. He was gone. What a fright. The city police were driving up and down the main street and through very loud speakers in Spanish, then "Tyler Walker" at the ending, We finally found him standing by my parked car at a metered space, He remwembered where.

On other trips I was sadly awed at the cardboard settlement of homes just below the border. That was in my do-goodie days. I collected clothes from the Canoga Park neighbors, Filled the trunk sand back seat of a huge brown Fleetwood Cadillac. On the dusty gravel road drove in there, very unwise, all alone. Nearly got picked to pieces. One beautiful brown eyed girl with a dirty face tightly held on to the car where the window was rlled down. Such begging eyes,please take me with you. Now for a positive note. When Scott built a Hughes plant in Tiauana, I met young ladies who had grown up in the cardboard village. They had good jobs with benefits .

When some Eastern relatives came to visit California we took them to the Bull fight. It was exciting, but not half as much as the short ride back to the border. The friendly driver apparently thought us big time tippers, so wanted to travel as fast as possible, even some of the ride forward on the right side of road. Would be interesting to see the changes today. I was photographing some precious children who were hanging around a filling station. A very m angered man there, who would have been a good portrait, too, threatened my life because I was one of those people who come down there to take pictures and get good money for them across the border.

After that, New Mexico became my wandering space. I paid the Indians for their service and they were happy. Are the large colorful paper flowers still on the market there. Those, in a large pot by the fire place, was decor for our home."

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.