BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Bleak future for Baja- what can be done?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 06:06 PM
Bleak future for Baja- what can be done?

There was a similar thread running, but the creator was demanding solutions. My discussion will not make those demands, since I do not see solutions at hand- just a bleak, and getting more bleak future for our beloved country.

Just returned from two weeks, mostly in LABay. There is no one there.

There are no tourists in Ensenada- you can park anywhere you wish, and store fronts are boarded up or just plain closed. I estimated that road traffic is less than 50% of what used to be considered "normal."

So, what are the reasons?
First, and foremost is the perception in the US that the "narco-wars" are killing folks right and left and likely they will get caught up in that mess. Every person I have met in the week I returned, all tanned and happy, has remarked on my great "luck" in surviving this terrible war zone.

How do we fix that perception (when every report of killing out of some random Mexican state just says "more killing in Mexico") We don't. And I do not see any great movement on the part of the Mexican government to fix it either.
And as long as people fear for their safety, they are not going to venture over the line.

Other issues are of course in play, none as serious as the above:
U.S. economy- make everyone a little more prosperous and the tourists will start venturing farther from home- don't know any Nomads that can fix that problem.

Gas prices- see previous item.

Lack of good fishing- I remember when you limited early and had all afternoon to relax. Now, thanks to the Japanese invasion of the Sea of Cortez (no doubt enabled by massive under the table contributions to D.F.) the fishing is lousy. I can catch more fish at our local Sierra lakes, and don't have to drive a thousand mile to do so. Nomad solution- let's see, nope, no way a Nomad can bring back the fish

Delays at the line- both ways.
I did a thread earlier on the hassle we had trying to get our tourist cards- a country that wanted my dollars would do a better job of getting me into the country IMO
Headed North at Tecate- line was just to the top of the hill, but nearly two hours to get through. Couple months ago I crossed from Canada at Blaine, flashed my magic card at the camera box and was sailing down I - 5 in another minute.
Each of these delays, obviously for different reasons, was unacceptable, IMO- Can we fix that one? Lots of luck.

My heart breaks for the locals. When I walk the streets of Ensenada at noon on a Friday and see restaurants with zero patrons- and I am talking good restaurants, not the holes in the wall. When I see the pangeros lined up at LAB with no customers.... the taco shacks boarded up.... the mercados only opening for a few hours, and then no customers.

It is sad.....
Mexico- time to heal yourself, not much those of us that love Baja can do to remedy these issues, other than sit and watch things get a lot worse before they get much better.

Just my thoughts after my annual 2 week trek around the highways and back roads.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 06:40 PM

None, Zero of my friends here in So. OC will drive
across the border, these were people who frequented
Baja, say down down to Ensenada. This began
when the Narco's started getting big US press, 4/5yrs
back. They will fly down however.
But these are tourists
who never EMBRACED Baja for what most of us here
love about the Peninsula. Seems visitors
to Baja will stay the regulars who never changed their
opinions about the risk/ safety in Baja. I think some
here may exaggerate the numbers of tourists who
EVER drove any distance into Baja
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 07:22 PM
baja

I'm speechless (1st) K&T:(
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 07:28 PM

Number one problem is the war on drugs and the media hype/selling the story of carnage and violence. Almost everyone I know used to go to Mexico 5 years ago, friends, parents, everyone. Once the news reported a few events, I could no longer get my surfer friends to go to Mexico cuz their wives wouldnt let them go anymore. Just my experience. I have 2 friends who'll go still these days and they're both people who aren't afraid of explaining the risks to their spouses and having enough balls to say "I'm going and I'll be fricking ok". It's sad really.....

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 07:44 PM

I don't worry about the crime but it sure seems like a lot more effort nowadays....getting fmt, crossing the border, more expensive, more permits, etc.....things used to be much simpler. Anza Borrego is my quick fix for camping and simplicity.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
There was a similar thread running, but the creator was demanding solutions.

First and foremost, Dick, I have to assume your reference is to my thread:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=58480#pid7123...

.......in which case, I demanded nothing. Only asked.

Quote:

First, and foremost is the perception in the US that the "narco-wars" are killing folks right and left and likely they will get caught up in that mess.

To that...I call BS. It's old press. US folks have short memories and they arn't being constantly reminded of the mayhem that still exists, and for the US mind, if it ain't happening right now...it ain't happening.
Sooo....that is almost a current events non-issue in the minds of the traveler...unless their memory is set in stone.

Quote:

Can we fix that one? Lots of luck.

BINGO...........that is the #1 reason.

Quote:

My heart breaks for the locals. When I walk the streets of Ensenada at noon on a Friday and see restaurants with zero patrons- and I am talking good restaurants, not the holes in the wall. When I see the pangeros lined up at LAB with no customers.... the taco shacks boarded up.... the mercados only opening for a few hours, and then no customers.

Sooo....wtf are you looking at? A bunch of blind people that just don't get it. It's over. Do something else. Until the border loosens up, and there's a more free-flowing customer base....it will just get worse. I doubt we'll see that day.

Quote:

It is sad.....

Very sad.....but that's the way it is. Save your memories.
PCbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 08:49 PM

I dont know. Business has never beeen better renting my house. I have people fly and drive constantly. Some newbies driving all the time. The fisherman keep coming back every summer and catch lots of fish. None of them seem to complain about all the things everybody complains about here.

Guess everybody sees thing differently.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 09:59 PM

Two weeks ago, there were 500 people standing in the Pedestrian line waiting to cross the San Ysidro POE on a Sunday afternoon. I never thought so many Americans would still be traveling to Mexico, but there they were.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 10:44 PM

Somewhere down in the in the lineup of reasons is the old Mexican axiom of...

"WHEN BUSINESS IS DOWN RAISE PRICES"
bajadave1
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 4-9-2012 at 01:54 AM
TRUE enough

some things don't change. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 03:36 AM

i guess we just keep going and be happy for what you have. just think, one day the fear will be gone and it'll take even longer to cross the border.

i'm hoping to have a little better luck at bahia in the fish lip stretching dept....

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 05:21 AM

Not everyone goes to Baja for the same reason. High fuel prices, narco fears, the lack of fish, all contribute to the decline.
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 06:08 AM

Hasn't the border been a mess since 9/11? That didn't stop the tourists from buying up the coast. W/O disposable income, depreciating assets, lousy economies, narco wars, you have a recipe for disaster.

For mysefl the answer to the border was the Sentri pass. But I venture south more than a tourist.

I think the alignment of authorities with the cartels (what % I don't know) scare people. If they can't trust authorities to protect them why they shop for blankets and there name on a grain of rice why bother. I'm not saying all authorities are this way, but from a "tourists" perspective it could be.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Bleak future for Baja- what can be done?

3 options:
1. don't worry, be happy!
2. always look on the bright side of life!
3. vote only for politicians that will prioritize fixing the border wait line mess -- the current US policy of allowing prompt xings only for sentri is killing economies on both sides of border.

p.s. i think that the homeland security dufuses are now making money off of sentri so they have no intention of killing their golden goose by fixing the border waits for non-sentri.
LaRibereña
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 07:53 AM

COME SOUTH, BRO!

US Travel Alerts: (12 Feb 2012)

Northern Mexico

Baja California (north): Tijuana is a major city/travel destination in the Northern portion of Baja California -see attached map to identify its exact location: You should exercise caution in the northern state of Baja California, particularly at night. Targeted TCO assassinations continue to take place in Baja California. Turf battles between criminal groups proliferated and resulted in numerous assassinations in areas of Tijuana frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours throughout the city. In one such incident, an U.S. citizen was shot and seriously wounded. According to the Government of Mexico, as of August 2011, the city’s murder rate was approximately 20 per 100,000. During 2011, 34 U.S. citizens were the victims of homicide in the state. In the majority of these cases, the killings appeared to be related to narcotics trafficking.

Baja California (South): Cabo San Lucas is a major city/travel destination in the Southern portion of Baja California -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify its exact location: No advisory is in effect.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 08:02 AM

The first part of fixing the "problem" is to perhaps understand it a little more clearly. For as long as I have been coming to Mexico which started back in the late 50's and continues up to permanent retirement and relocation to Baja California Sur, I have seen major swings in the tourist numbers. It was very high for quite some time and people assumed that would stay at that level for ever but for lots of reasons like the crash of the US Economy, the increase in Violence, upswing on hassles at the border, petty corruption, and changes in social structure in Mexico, the swing to low usage is certainly noticeable and persistent. I do not see a huge difference in the tourist industry in Cabo San Lucas since that is a fly in, have fun, and leave kind of tourist destination. While things are slower in terms of building and buying, places like Punta Chivato, Mulege, and the small bergs from Loreto to Santa Rosalia all seem to be growing at a very small pace, but there are new buildings going up and it seems to be happening at a pace that everyone and infastructure can keep up with.

Up north in Ensenada and Tijuana I see the difference but I think a lot of the tourist activity there was of a different nature than we experience down south and would be more subject to the influence of border crossing problems, perceived or real violence, etc., etc., and it will be interesting to see how they come to cope with the problems.

I hear how poor the fishing is but for me it is what I would consider very good and gives me a great recreational diversion. I may be going a little further in the boat than I did in the "Old Days" but nothing is ever the same as it was in the "Old Days" so we just adapt and go on.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 08:24 AM

Mexico is not alone. Look at how these countries eliminated tourism:
Iraq
Iran
Afganistan
Pakistan
Yurkmenistan
Syria
Libya
Yemen
Somali
etc

Bob Durrell
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
There was a similar thread running, but the creator was demanding solutions.

First and foremost, Dick, I have to assume your reference is to my thread:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=58480#pid7123...

.......in which case, I demanded nothing. Only asked.

Quote:

First, and foremost is the perception in the US that the "narco-wars" are killing folks right and left and likely they will get caught up in that mess.

To that...I call BS. It's old press. US folks have short memories and they arn't being constantly reminded of the mayhem that still exists, and for the US mind, if it ain't happening right now...it ain't happening.
Sooo....that is almost a current events non-issue in the minds of the traveler...unless their memory is set in stone.

Quote:

Can we fix that one? Lots of luck.

BINGO...........that is the #1 reason.

Quote:

Sooo....wtf are you looking at? A bunch of blind people that just don't get it. It's over. Do something else. Until the border loosens up, and there's a more free-flowing customer base....it will just get worse. I doubt we'll see that day.

Quote:

It is sad.....

Very sad.....but that's the way it is. Save your memories.

Hi Dennis- guess we can agree to disagree.
Yes, I was referring to your thread, but did not want to make it personal.
As to your belief that the fear factor is BS-
well, you live in Punta Banda and I live in Central Cal.
For the past week I have spent much time explaining to friends and folks how I could be so brave as to enter the war zone to the South. That is just how it is perceived up here- sad to say.
I have not been able to get a high school group organized to go down to Rancho Santa Marta at San Vicente for three years (after 17 straight years) because the parents are so spooked over the narco-war reports.
You and I know differently - but the masses believe it is not safe, and thus they ain't going.
And, as to the sad state of affairs for the locals.
Might be easy for you, or for me, to simply pick up and try something different, but if your life has been totally immersed in living in a remote fishing village, and helping the visitors with tacos, fishing, or whatever, then I suspect that is where you are stuck. Guess you could always open a sand and gravel business, cuz that is about all the resources available when the tourists stop coming.

As always, the poor suffer the most,
and as you say, with fewer tourists, shorter waits at the border.
Pretty lousy price to pay for better border access, unfortunately.

Cheers my friend

Dick
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 08:50 AM

Here's one:
I have a 17 year old niece in MI, Washington who went during spring break with 59 other kids from her Christian Church - to TJ - to build 3 houses for the poor.

I was amazed! Maybe the further north of the border you get, the less fear factor.
I have always said the further south of the border into any foreign country you get - the better is gets. The borders are always a mess.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 09:00 AM

I think many underestimate the fact that people in the US STILL have less disposible income than at any time in the recent past. Couple that with Mexico no longer being the bargain that it used to be and people are just deciding to "vacation" within a much smaller radius.

When I lived in SoCal, we would do the occasional weekender in the La Salina to Ensenada corridor for cheap drinks and cheap eats and a cheap hotel or camping spot. That's certainly within an economical driving radius from, what, 15 million people in the LA-SD area? Trouble is, all those attractions aint cheap anymore. It's easy to find food, hotel and beverage deals in the US that are actually cheaper than that corridor now. Maybe not with an ocean view, but hey, money saved is money saved.

Somebody else alluded to it................when times get tough, US businesses lower their prices to attract more customers. In Mexico, they raise prices and wonder where everyone went.:rolleyes:

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.