Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: GUERRERO NEGRO HEADS UP
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 10:33 AM
GUERRERO NEGRO HEADS UP

Saw this on La Paz Gringos this morning:

"I would also recommend people NOT to stop at the last gas station before Guerrero negro when coming down from the North. Everybody knows it's a long drive before any kind of civilization can be seen. It's easy to think you have to stop there to use the bathroom, buy some refreshments, etc. but while you do,somebody may be watching. They usually check if there are women, children, if it's a family, if it's 2 or more guys, etc etc, if they bring any kind of valuables sticking out ( cameras, kayaks, tanks, stuff they can steal and sell for easy money).

My sister and her husband used to stop there, and everytime they did, they would have a car or two following them for a while ( but her husband is a fast driver). When they told the federales, they asked them what they could do in such cases and the federal told them preferably not to stop there because of all the reasons I mentioned above."
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 10:43 AM

Are you talking Jesus Maria ? about an hour north of G Negro
where Carmelitas tamales is?
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for catching that! CERTAIN its not Jesus Maria but guess I owe it to Nomads to clarify.

Will be back.
bajachris
Nomad

Mood: Love Baja

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 12:24 PM

I went through there alone, woman, nice truck and gased up at Jesus Maria, then drove on to Guerrero, alone, then back again. Didn't have any problems at all. That was presidents week in February. I speak Spanish, and always talk with the locals.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 12:51 PM

Hard to believe...this is one of the prettiest and friendliest gas stops along the way. Last stop there was late March 2012.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 02:43 PM

Guerrero Negro does not enjoy exactly a spotless reputation with the locals. At one time the town was ground zero, not Tijuana, Mexicali , Ensenada, nor La Paz, but Guerrero Negro for stolen cars and chop shops.

This is part of Municipio Mulege and the local cops are up to their timpanos in illegal activities. A local teniente de ejercito snorted "They're worse than the criminals".

The security climate isn't dangerous, but reeks of sleaziness. I just spent four days there over the long weekend.

99.9% of the people are nice.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 03:29 PM

No not Jesus Maria. This is the station by the military pst and Desert Inn. It has been written up before for inaccurate pumps.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 03:49 PM

I NEVER stop there (the monument). I use Jesus Maria. G Negro gives me the creeps and always has.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 03:54 PM

To the horror of the gasolinista, I just tested the "non-Pemex franchise" station dispenser in Bahia Asuncion. One fuel: Magna. Price as of today April 10, 2012 is 11.0 pesos per liter.

The dispenser delivered 9.97 liters of fuel with a dispenser reading of 10.0 liters.

For all intents and purposes, the dispenser is dead-on accurate. It is old fashioned, right out of the 70's.

Test measure is a Seraphin, with security seal and certificate traceable to NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology). This is the type of test measure that the state of california bureau of weights and measures uses to calibrate their own field use test measures. In essence, it is a lab grade instrument.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 04:44 PM

Why stop there anyway when you can go into GN, fill up at a nice clean station and go to Tacos El Muelle, or Tony's as I call it, and get an awesome fish taco! GNs not bad once you get to know the place. No, it's not a picturesque town but there's really nice folks there and some pretty good food too.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 04:58 PM

The Eagle Monument is on the state border, or 28º Parallel. This was/ is a 'parador' or rest stop of the Transpeninsular highway (Pemex station, trailer park, restrooms, cafeteria, hotel) called Parador Paralelo 28. The eagle is now inside a military base and well hidden by tall trees... sad actually.

Guerrero Negro has grown and now hase all the services of hotels, restaurants, etc. that was lacking in 1973 when the highway was built here... so the parador was needed.

This was not Guerrero Negro, but about 2.2 miles north of the Guerrero Negro entrance road, that leads another 2 miles into central Guerrero Negro.

Guerrero Negro has expanded so much the past 30 years, that calling the Pemex at the state border 'Guerrero Negro' isn't so far off, anymore!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 05:13 PM

Drop it, this is heresay from a third party, (no connection) no name, no actual story, with no evidence of anything untoward, no actual facts whatsoever.

People here on BN have a responsibility to become critical thinkers and dismiss so many of these nonsensical posts which aren't based in direct report or something sourced, credited back to the source, but are instead repeating nonsense.

This post, is like so many of the recent offensive posts here, slander, heresay, abuse, nonsense with apparently no point but to further confuse, conflate and create an environment of fear where critical thinking and thoughtful discuss are no longer recognizable.

Ya!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 05:27 PM

Guerrero Negro ATM

Location: Adjacent to the gasolinera on the left on the spur road into town

Exactly: On the eastern border of the station near the street

Source: BANCOMER BBVA

# Of Machines (1)
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Drop it, this is heresay from a third party, (no connection) no name, no actual story, with no evidence of anything untoward, no actual facts whatsoever.

People here on BN have a responsibility to become critical thinkers and dismiss so many of these nonsensical posts which aren't based in direct report or something sourced, credited back to the source, but are instead repeating nonsense.

This post, is like so many of the recent offensive posts here, slander, heresay, abuse, nonsense with apparently no point but to further confuse, conflate and create an environment of fear where critical thinking and thoughtful discuss are no longer recognizable.

Ya!

Well said!

rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 06:02 PM

Gnukid - self-righteous, pompous rudeness is expected - but for heaven's sake get something right! I think you struck out on every statement you made - par for the course . . .

Here is the full post, which I excerpted. It has names, email addresses and concerned direct family. Unfortunately, Baja Nomads does not reproduce the drag 'n drop graphics/rich text. Posted by "Chac" maggiechac@yahoo.com, Mexican citizen and directly references a family experience.

A direct report, sourced by a Mexican and so credited. If it is "slander, heresay, abuse(?), nonsense yadda yadda, that is merely your opinion, whose value readers can decide for themselves.

----------------------------------------------

Re: Green Angels

Usually when a phone doesn't have signal it says "emergency calls only" Green
angels number fits that category and you can only dial that type of numbers.

Also the green angels job is NOT to go get you when you're in trouble. They
actually drive up and down whatever kms or space they have to during their
shift and they help whoever is on the road with problems. Either these people
called or not. They usually drive very slowly on the highway.

I would also recommend people NOT to stop at the last gas station before
Guerrero negro when coming down from the North. Everybody knows it's a long
drive before any kind of civilization can be seen. It's easy to think you have
to stop there to use the bathroom, buy some refreshments, etc. but while you
do,somebody may be watching. They usually check if there are women, children, if
it's a family, if it's 2 or more guys, etc etc, if they bring any kind of
valuables sticking out ( cameras, kayaks, tanks, stuff they can steal and sell
for easy money).

My sister and her husband used to stop there, and everytime they did, they would
have a car or two following them for a while ( but her husband is a fast
driver). When they told the federales, they asked them what they could do in
such cases and the federal told them preferably not to stop there because of all
the reasons I mentioned above.

My family and I are Mexicans, so I don't know if it's a common occurrence with
foreigners driving down that highway, but just in case, it would be good to be
safe.

Hope it helps
Maggs
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 06:16 PM

Thank you Rob!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 06:45 PM

Rob,

This is a discussion forum, I am engaging you respectfully in discussion about your message and why I think it is seriously problematic for our well being in Baja.

Your personal attack (ad hominem) avoids the subject, let's stick to the subject and facts.

1) This is a third party post from another forum, there is no actual named person, nor any person who is a victim of any crime. It's a vague story about thinking they were followed, on a one way road that every single car must use.

2) This post broadcasts fear but fails to note any facts, this type of post must therefore be disregarded.

If you have anything to add referencing a crime that has been reported, naming an actual victim then we would have something to discuss.

You may be unaware of your role, however, promoting unverified fear-mongering stories naming a location in this public forum without any basis in fact, nor victim, is a serious issue reaching the level of chargeable treason against this fine country and it's people. As well, if you are a US government employee this is a crime as well.

[Edited on 4-11-2012 by gnukid]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 06:55 PM

yeah rob. how do we know you really have a sister?:spingrin:
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 08:19 PM

My only question is how come the station was closed for two years ???

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 08:38 PM

siesta?

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.