Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: GUERRERO NEGRO HEADS UP
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2012 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Rob,

This is a discussion forum, I am engaging you respectfully in discussion about your message and why I think it is seriously problematic for our well being in Baja.

Your personal attack (ad hominem) avoids the subject, let's stick to the subject and facts.

1) This is a third party post from another forum, there is no actual named person, nor any person who is a victim of any crime. It's a vague story about thinking they were followed, on a one way road that every single car must use.

2) This post broadcasts fear but fails to note any facts, this type of post must therefore be disregarded.

If you have anything to add referencing a crime that has been reported, naming an actual victim then we would have something to discuss.

You may be unaware of your role, however, promoting unverified fear-mongering stories naming a location in this public forum without any basis in fact, nor victim, is a serious issue reaching the level of chargeable treason against this fine country and it's people. As well, if you are a US government employee this is a crime as well.

[Edited on 4-11-2012 by gnukid]

Agree 100%
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2012 at 07:23 AM

Third party information...sounds like reading a California newspaper article about Baja :o:o:o

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-11-2012 at 07:57 AM

Based on GnuKid's criteria, there would not be many warnings of this type posted anymore---------which to my way of thinking negates a good percentage of what NOMAD'S is all about.

We are not children-------we can evaluate the situation when there-------but warnings are always helpful in watching out for situations that could potentially be harmful. After all, they are only "warnings", not edicts.

That's my take, anyway. Normally I agree with GnuKid, but not this time.

Barry
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2012 at 08:02 AM

We may not be children but there is always someone in the crowd that knows more than everyone else.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-11-2012 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
We may not be children but there is always someone in the crowd that knows more than everyone else.

Isn't that a good thing? We can take it or leave it------but at least we are alerted.

Barry
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 4-12-2012 at 08:47 PM

Jesus Cristo. There has been talk of rip off fuel fill ups there for a while. If your traveling past Guerrero, fill up at Jesus Maria and keep on driving. It should be an obvious fact that no one is ever at that Pemex getting fuel.

Word.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2012 at 09:02 PM

What Barry said.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2012 at 03:56 AM

I had something to say, but I can't give 100% rockbottom proof that it's not something I just heard from somewhere else and that I know exactly who said it because I'm not even sure if I'm me writing this because I won't include my personal name on a public post or let you know where to come and bother me to prove I even exist.

So don't read or believe anything in this post.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-13-2012 at 06:52 AM

I did do dispenser accuracy tests in downtown GN in 1994 and found the dispensers to indicate +7% greater quantity than what the Seraphin measured. My opinion and belief is that franquicia owners hold contracts close to their vest and even though eighteen years has passed since that momentous journey Jaguars do not change their spots.

Don't let the attendant throttle the dispenser nozzle when fueling. I let the attendant do this at the gasolinera at the corner of Calle Delante & Mex 1 in Ensenada and even though I ordered fuel by the liter, I drove out with an embarrassing shortage of Magna. Sanchez the owner of SAHISA was a crook in 1994 and it looks like he or his boys are crooks in 2012. I met Sanchez through Carlos the owner of the hotel bahia in 1994 at carlos' tortuga restaurant. Sanchez was a shifty eyed very wealthy man whom I would not trust far enough to throw him.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-13-2012 at 09:47 AM

Why stop at that station at all when going South? It's not an "easy off, easy on" station and there's a new station on the road into town that actually has clean restroom, friendly attendants and a pretty good snack shop. I've not "measured" the fuel they despense, but I'm pretty familiar with my car's fuel gage and I've never come away from a fill-up there with a sense that I didn't get the expected amount of gas.
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2012 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
My sister and her husband used to stop there, and everytime they did, they would have a car or two following them for a while

Every time? Come on. Chalk it up to paranoia. No offense, but I've heard similar stories about half the Pemex stations from TJ to Los Cabos. Not buying it...

LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2012 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Drop it, this is heresay from a third party, (no connection) no name, no actual story, with no evidence of anything untoward, no actual facts whatsoever.

People here on BN have a responsibility to become critical thinkers and dismiss so many of these nonsensical posts which aren't based in direct report or something sourced, credited back to the source, but are instead repeating nonsense.

This post, is like so many of the recent offensive posts here, slander, heresay, abuse, nonsense with apparently no point but to further confuse, conflate and create an environment of fear where critical thinking and thoughtful discuss are no longer recognizable.

Ya!

But my brother-in-law's next door neighbor has a friend who told him that the same gas station might have given him less gas than he thought he paid for. And he thinks it's possible that there might be a chance it might have happened every time.

I'm with gnukid, BS like this is good-for-nothing.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2012 at 05:30 PM

gringo- want to bet on BS at a couple of stations that I know about?
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 11:26 AM

Quote:

No, your report would be solid, fact-based information from a trusted source, not unsubstantiated paranoia.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 11:29 AM

:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaPazGringo
Quote:

No, your report would be solid, fact-based information from a trusted source, not unsubstantiated paranoia.

Yes the trusted source is myself. Fuel Jugs do wonders to check accuracy. Keeps me aware of where pumps are accurate and where they are not. I had to deal with the station south of Vizcaino for ages for premium (next station with premium another 30 miles away). Fortunately, we now have a new station, YES!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 01:47 PM

Quote:

This post, is like so many of the recent offensive posts here, slander, heresay, abuse, nonsense with apparently no point but to further confuse, conflate and create an environment of fear where critical thinking and thoughtful discuss are no longer recognizable.

Ya!

But what will we do without unwarranted fear and programmed misinformation. We love and need Guerrero. Once again don't let a couple of bad apples spoil the spoils. :cool:
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob

My sister and her husband used to stop there, and everytime they did, they would have a car or two following them for a while ( but her husband is a fast driver).

Follow the fam like that and we'll hand you your "Burro":cool:
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 02:37 PM

I close my eyes and pay at the PEMEX wherever it is. I do the normal checking to see if the pump is reset, don't pay with much more than I think I'll get change for, etc., but I don't have faith in getting a correct fill in any PEMEX stations anymore. My heart/wallet has been broken by such trust. This extends to G.N. whether on the road or in town and especially Jesus Maria (where we got ripped by over 30% the last time). Gas is more expensive up North, so I just go in peace.
Saying that, it's still good to know where a safer bet on fair gas is.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 02:56 PM

In the op's story I don't like the part about "Being Followed". This is one way rateros hold up motorists in other parts of Mexico.

The first of two cars positions himself on a lightly traveled section of highway close to a side road that is both deserted and goes out of sight of the main highway. He listens for his cellular to text a message or an outright voice call.

The second part hangs around a toll plaza rest area, a rest stop or gasolinera. He is a halcon. He appraises everyone he can and if he should spot a wealthy man or couple in a BMW, Mercedes, Navigator or Escalade, he rings up the sicario. The sicario knows exactly how much transit time is needed to travel the distance. As the pigeon gets close the halcon closes the distance, the sicario places his vehicle sideways across the highway and at the end, the halcon is riding the pigeon's bumper. A stop is made.

Neither car has license plates. most times the perps pull ski masks on. The pigeon is instructed to follow the halcon down the deserted side road while the armed sicario follows closely. Threats have been made, a shot or two has been fired and the pigeon is very compliant.

The pigeon is fleeced, and has little identification data to tell the cops. The robbers head back to the highway, baling wire tie their license plates back on to keep from getting stopped by the PFP and

There you are...

Now this is certainly different from what the OP described. Take it for what it's worth...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.