Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: GUERRERO NEGRO HEADS UP
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 06:35 PM

Threads like this one are a primary reason I've had trouble recruiting fellow gringos to come to Baja with me. Between the US press coverage and the speculative posts that frighten many ordinary people, nobody wants to be on a highway in Baja, let alone Mexico mainland. My friends are fly-ins to Cabo this past week and have no idea of what they're missing in between.

Please tell me about actual occurrences and how they happened but don't fill these pages with speculations and innuendos. I'd like to know if something happened, when and how it happened but there are plenty of horror movies to watch and I think the rateros story could just as easily play out on any two lane road in the US or Canada that is lightly traveled.

BTW, my worst Pemex experience was at the downtown Loreto Pemex where the attendant attempted to short change me 100 pesos. He also screwed over everyone in my group who used USDollars by deducting an extra 20% on the exchange. This is the type of real information I'd like to hear.

[Edited on 4-15-2012 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 07:22 PM

Highway robberies are rare as a blue eyed iguana in Baja. But 90% of those that have happened i.e. McMillin race team driver Tijuana on Mex 1-D have happened at night. Some roadside hold ups have occurred to folks stopped for lengthy period alongside Mex 1 in remote areas. But these incidents are as rare as a good meal at McDonalds.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 07:46 PM

Why is it that some people on this forum refuse to believe the FACT that there is crime in Baja? Read the Mexican Newspapers. Check the San Diego news. Numerous bloggers summarize the daily crime. Are economics (your investments) or the need for tourists so important that you would hide the crime that occurs or stick your head in the sand. And to throw out zingers like there is crime in the US doesn't seem to be relevant. We are talking about crime in Baja. Better to be aware that it does exist.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-14-2012 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
BTW, my worst Pemex experience was at the downtown Loreto Pemex where the attendant attempted to short change me 100 pesos. He also screwed over everyone in my group who used USDollars by deducting an extra 20% on the exchange. This is the type of real information I'd like to hear.

Now ya see, crime is subjective. The Pemex attendant didn't really screw anyone by adding a 20% surcharge. Looks like a businessman making a profit, to me. Isn't exchange rate negotiable? Or was everyone in the group willingly screwed? Hasn't there always been a higher fee for USD further South?

Is attempting to short someone 100 pesos really a crime? Maybe to gringoes. Maybe to Mexicans it's a little hussle. No harm, really, is there?

It's a game, folks. Lighten up.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater

Now ya see, crime is subjective. The Pemex attendant didn't really screw anyone by adding a 20% surcharge. Looks like a businessman making a profit, to me. Isn't exchange rate negotiable? Or was everyone in the group willingly screwed? Hasn't there always been a higher fee for USD further South?

Is attempting to short someone 100 pesos really a crime? Maybe to gringoes. Maybe to Mexicans it's a little hussle. No harm, really, is there?

It's a game, folks. Lighten up.

Its only a game till someone looses a hand :cool:
Reach in my pocket and you won't get yours back. It's like walking out of a bank counting your money, you not only endanger yourself but give criminals the confidence to make more brazen attacks thinking every person is an easy mark. Don't put up with crap unless the odds are stacked against you. A mans gotta know his limitations.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Reach in my pocket and you won't get yours back. It's like walking out of a bank counting your money, you not only endanger yourself but give criminals the confidence to make more brazen attacks thinking every person is an easy mark. Don't put up with crap unless the odds are stacked against you. A mans gotta know his limitations.

Well, it's a game no matter who wins. Sometimes, education isn't free.

Seriously, if your Loreto Pemex story is the ''worst'' experience you've had, you are doing well.

If there's a generalization here it might be that (1) all gringoes have money; and (2) profiling exists.

Expect to be stopped in CC, expect the cops to scam you. You don't have to like the game -- just have fun and play it. It's the Mexican way.

Have fun be happy.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 11:32 AM

Lee I like to think we're talking about the same thing.
Handing Gotta Peso in Catavina 5 pesos and asking for change, FUN
Having to seriously injure or worse some fools attempting to harm the Fam, NOT FUN
Sprocket
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 08:09 AM

2 years ago a friend stopped for 2 young ladies with the hood open on thier car, this was just north of La Ventana on the way from San Felipe to Mexicali. 2 men came out of the bushes and took his truck at gun point. Fact.
He learned from the Federales that gas stations, resturants, and even the Border crossings all have look outs looking for Marks. Gas attendents are the number 1 look outs. They see your money and can get a very close look at the interior of your cars.
PLease keep in mind , what happend to my friend could happen to anyone. He thought he was keeping a low profile by driving a older ford truck with a shell on it so you couldnt see that he was hauling stuff for the construction of his home.
These people use several diffrent tricks to get you to stop and keep you off guard.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket
2 years ago a friend stopped for 2 young ladies with the hood open on thier car.....

Is the question gringo good samaritans should not stop for hitchhikers or distressed appearing vehicles? Yes.

Don't stop in deserted out of the way places. I don't. If you do, take your chances.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket
2 years ago a friend stopped for 2 young ladies with the hood open on thier car.....

Is the question gringo good samaritans should not stop for hitchhikers or distressed appearing vehicles? Yes.

Don't stop in deserted out of the way places. I don't. If you do, take your chances.
uh, what were they wearing?:coolup:
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Why is it that some people on this forum refuse to believe the FACT that there is crime in Baja? Read the Mexican Newspapers. Check the San Diego news. Numerous bloggers summarize the daily crime. Are economics (your investments) or the need for tourists so important that you would hide the crime that occurs or stick your head in the sand. And to throw out zingers like there is crime in the US doesn't seem to be relevant. We are talking about crime in Baja. Better to be aware that it does exist.

I just re-read the thread to try to figure out who you're talking about. From what I can tell, you're totally missing the point of us who are crying foul on this story.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat

Well, it's a game no matter who wins. Sometimes, education isn't free.

Seriously, if your Loreto Pemex story is the ''worst'' experience you've had, you are doing well.

If there's a generalization here it might be that (1) all gringoes have money; and (2) profiling exists.

Expect to be stopped in CC, expect the cops to scam you. You don't have to like the game -- just have fun and play it. It's the Mexican way.

Have fun be happy.

Mostly agreed....that's why I termed it an experience vs a crime....and that's also why I labelled it "my worst Pemex experience"....I've had much worse experiences with the stupido gringos I brought to Baja in February....but that is documented elsewhere...:cool:

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 11:12 AM

I was recently told to watch out for the chupacabras that like to surf near the sisters:light:

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 11:18 AM

You heard about the great white sharks?
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I was recently told to watch out for the chupacabras that like to surf near the sisters:light:

It's true! One of them climbed into my buddy's sleeping bag at the end of a trip one year. :o We call it "Chupacabra camp" every time we pass by it now. Darn thing left a big red welt!

Even though the location is on the access road to the coast; I can't provide a more precise location. I fear the wrath of the secret Baja beach spot society, more than the Chupacabras.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 05:00 PM

I have to weigh in with gnukid on the idea that any single story does not make a trend.

That said, I do know that the people that operate the Pemex by the state line have been closed on a number of occasions simply because Pemex would not deliver fuel to them for whatever reason. You do the thinking on that.

And since, way back in this thread there was a mention of the ATM at the "new" Pemex just heading into town, gotta say that ever since the station opened, my experience has been that this particular ATM is functional only about 50% of the time. There is an ATM at the bank for anyone willing to drive a couple of miles on in toward the salt facility.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 05:49 PM
Erring on the safe side

There are things I do when stopping at Pemex: focus, don't get distracted, watch the pump reset to zero, count my money out of sight of the attendant, say the amount I'm handing him.

And now, watch to see if anyone is following me. Not a big deal.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.