Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Cactus, April 2012
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 12:25 AM
Baja Cactus, April 2012

We stayed at the Baja Cactus both on our way down, and then back up from the Bay of LA area... thread on that here:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=59492

It's gotten to the point at the Baja Cactus where one needs to make a reservation ahead of time (or at least early in the day) to ensure getting a room in the "new" section for that same evening. I just pull up the bajacactus.com website for the tel#.... which is the best way to do it. I would not rely on them checking for emailed reservation requests consistently.

Very professional and friendly staff, rooms are certainly still one of the best values along the entire peninsula... we enjoy the in-room coffee, the thermostat controlled heat, and I'm personally thankful for the high-speed Internet (bring an ethernet cable though!) to check in on BN, and my email.

:biggrin:

Noticed this time that quite a few of the guests park inside the larger gated parking area with their trailered boats. Hadn't really noticed that here before, but probably a good guess that some others might want to know that.

And my son... well, he likes the "family" rooms - which are #207 & #208. These have a loft with two twin beds that are above the two king beds. So, when one of these rooms are available, we'll ask for one.

The pic is from room 207 on this trip (both stops this time, south and north)....

baja-cactus-rm207.jpg - 50kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 11:08 AM

Thanks Doug...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 11:17 AM

The fam loves em too. :cool:
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 09:47 AM

I'v waited a week for a response via email. Can someone clue in the clueless on how to dial this phone # from the US.
01 (616) 165 8850. Maybe it just doesn't work from a cell phone?

Thanks in advance.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 09:50 AM

Man those family rooms look awesome. Next time I'll ask if one of them is open!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 09:50 AM

i think you have to dia 011 (52) which is the country code...then the number

i had the last 4 digits as 8700 maybe another line, or I have the wrong number.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajario
I'v waited a week for a response via email. Can someone clue in the clueless on how to dial this phone # from the US.

Thanks in advance.

Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario HAS a U.S. telephone number!
(619) 694-1082 :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 01:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

In the past, email was great but recently we've been burned. Two times now we've emailed reservations and they were never made. So...just a heads-up.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 02:19 PM

That appears to be the norm for Baja.

Recently my reservations for Valle de Guadalupe were also "lost."

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

In the past, email was great but recently we've been burned. Two times now we've emailed reservations and they were never made. So...just a heads-up.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 04:17 PM

The place is very nice. No question.

But, in addition to the fact that there are a limited number of rooms to serve a huge fan base, thereby making it a crap shoot to get a room without confirmed reservations made well in advance, the simple fact is that when staying at Baja Cactus, you are in El Rosario.

I know that it's different strokes, but just seems to me that a mere 40 minutes or so North, there are myriad fine hotels and restaurants throughout the San Quintin Valley area.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 04:22 PM

Yeah, ER is not exactly a night spot, is it...

Also, if Cactus is full the Turistica on the far S/E side of town is new, clean and decent.

And finally, did the banos ever get finished next door,
or is that poor dude still standing on a box with the plaster trowel in his hand??
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Zac, it is a San Diego phone number that rings the front desk in El Rosario... (619) 694-1082. Emailing them or Antonio has not worked for a LONG time... Just call the USA number Nomads... and if the person answering doesn't speak your language, call back when the next shift is on.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Yeah, ER is not exactly a night spot, is it...

Also, if Cactus is full the Turistica on the far S/E side of town is new, clean and decent.

And finally, did the banos ever get finished next door,
or is that poor dude still standing on a box with the plaster trowel in his hand??

It is TURISTA MOTEL :light:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Zac, it is a San Diego phone number that rings the front desk in El Rosario... (619) 694-1082. Emailing them or Antonio has not worked for a LONG time... Just call the USA number Nomads... and if the person answering doesn't speak your language, call back when the next shift is on.

DK- Then maybe Antonio should post that on website. All I am saying is that I have used email in the past with no problems. Then recently we show up with no reservations. I don't understand why you always go to bat for Antonio. Yes, he is a great guy but I don't always agree with his business decisions.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 07:48 PM

I am here to help. You told of a situation that doesn't work... It is Mexico, and things just don't always work. I provided a U.S. phone number provided by Antonio, and posted here many times before for getting through BETTER than the email system.

You can keep using the system that doesn't work hoping it will if you just keep using it, it will magically work! Sorry Zac... same is true in government, if it doesn't work, go to what does!

The web site is no different than it was in 2005... no updates, no changes... Do I know why Antonio doesn't update it or even make it beyond the front page? No... I do not, so I can only help with what does work.

I hope the phone number keeps working... but be prepared to have a back up!

Baja Cactus is maybe the nicest highway motel there is, and cheap too. But, on the other end of town is the Turista Motel, even cheaper, less to offer, but the beds are comfortable and the showers work well.

I do call Antonio my close friend, but I also like to think of you and other Nomads as friends too, so if Baja Cactus doesn't come through, I would want you to have a back up... For more money, there is Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast, as well... across from the Turista. In a real emergency you have Mama Espinoza's Las Cabañas Motel and Primo's Sinahi Motel, which are perhaps 'less desirable', but still in business and can do in a pinch!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 07:57 PM

Little hard on DK there BB- IMO

I too know Antonio, probably not as well as David, but find him to be a gracious and honorable man to deal with.

But I have been hard on him re the cursed banos, and will continue to do so.

I have stayed at Cactus numerous times, as well as Turista,when Cactus is full. I appreciate knowing there is a number I can zap up on my ATT cell phone, and a wife that speaks the language if needed.

I think when DK has good info we should appreciate it, not scoff at him,
just my spin on the topic.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 08:18 PM

Quote:

I too know Antonio, probably not as well as David, but find him to be a gracious and honorable man to deal with.

I have stayed at Cactus numerous times, as well as Turista,when Cactus is full. I appreciate knowing there is a number I can zap up on my ATT cell phone, and a wife that speaks the language if needed.

My point wasn't trying to put down DK for information. I appreciate it. But it seems as soon as one offers any sort of criticism of Baja Cactus, DK is quick to offer a retort.

If Baja Cactus offers email for reservations, then Antonio should find a way to support his customers. But from what I hear DK stating is that I need to change my ways to get a reservation. I don't care what country I am in, customer service revolves around the customer.

I will find other places to stay if Antonio cannot respond to his customers' needs. Nothing personal in my mind.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 08:40 PM

to call the mexican number from the states

011 52 and then the 3 digit area code which is 616 in this case and then the 7 digit number

when in Mexico, to call a cell phone number:
044 then area code and 7 digit number IF U R IN THAT AREA CODE
045 then area code and 7 digit number IF YOU ARE OUT OF THAT AREA CODE

very bizarre system.

all other regular phone numbers have 01 in front if they are land lines. then you dial the area code. then you dial the 7 digit number.

I believe the above to be true, someone correct me if I am wrong !

even when I went to mexico city, the hotel there did not have my reservation down when I arrived - altho they had confirmed by email but they honored my email reservation/price quote and thank goodness they had a room available. seems to be an endemic problem ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

My point wasn't trying to put down DK for information. I appreciate it. But it seems as soon as one offers any sort of criticism of Baja Cactus, DK is quick to offer a retort.

If Baja Cactus offers email for reservations, then Antonio should find a way to support his customers. But from what I hear DK stating is that I need to change my ways to get a reservation. I don't care what country I am in, customer service revolves around the customer.

I will find other places to stay if Antonio cannot respond to his customers'
needs. Nothing personal in my mind.

Zac, isn't providing a U.S. phone number responding to customer needs?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:

I will find other places to stay if Antonio cannot respond to his customers'
needs. Nothing personal in my mind.

Zac, isn't providing a U.S. phone number responding to customer needs?

Not when I'm in Baja...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.