Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: WD 40
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 05:08 PM
WD 40

Every time I read a "must take to Baja" list it includes a can of this stuff.
And, when I read about a road side fix, with duct tape and wire, somehow WD 40 works its way into the equation.
I have finally come to realize that this is really nasty stuff, and since they have come out with so many great silicone spray products I have tossed the blue and yellow can in the dumper.
This may sound like a product plug (it is not) but the Liquid Wrench Silicone spray is really awesome.
Somehow, in the WD 40 recipe, they have added a kind of drying agent, so while you think you are lubricating, you are really just giving temporary relief and long-term problems.
Check out the new sprays and you too will be tossing the old (and I might add) stinky can in the trash.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 05:14 PM

Gee, just when the fishing web sites are raving about the bites they get after spraying WD-40 onto thier lures, etc.

WD = Water Displacement (formula #40)... Invented here in San Diego to be used on the Atlas Rockets we also built here....

[Edited on 4-17-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 05:18 PM

The silicon spray is great stuff for a thousand uses...but....NO fisherman is throwing away his can of WD-40.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 05:24 PM

urban legend has it that the main ingredient is fish oil. wd40 says not so, but something in there fish like!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 05:48 PM

I love the smell of WD-40 in the morning!!!

Barry
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 06:12 PM

My friend is the VP of WD 40. She used to run the SD office but was transferred to Australia several years ago to get that office up and running. She now is doing her last couple of years in China. WD40 around the world!

25 years ago I had a jeep cj5 and I was plowed thru a stream in La Bocana (young and impatient). Water totally drenched my engine and would not start. I took off the rotor cap and sprayed WD 40 in the cap and on the points and rotor. Jeep started right back up. That's my WD 40 story :)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 06:15 PM

Wonderful story! Mr Fat

The smell reminds me of my dad cleaing his fishing reels... thanks Barry!

Willard, I could have sworn that the oil was derived from the tuna industry being here in San Diego and all... but according to the Internet it was an urban myth... although I still hold out some hope there is a bit of tuna in every can! (ask any mermaid)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

WD = Water Displacement (formula #40)... Invented here in San Diego to be used on the Atlas Rockets we also built here....

Are you old enough to have been involved with the Convair Atlas missile development? I worked on the "Model E" at plant 1 in 1956 then moved up to the new GD Astronautics plant on Kearney Mesa in 1958 and then ended up working at the Sycamore Canyon test facility until 1960.

Bob Durrell
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 07:26 PM

I just remembered WD40 story #2 :)

My high school chemistry teacher would take a can of WD40 and light the stream on fire and spray the flame thrower like device over our heads every day to get our attention. It had to spray at least back 5 rows of students over their heads :)

A student said he is going to blow us all up one day because the flame could travel back down the tube and ignite the whole can. The teacher said that was impossible because the pressure would keep the flame out of the can.

Jump ahead 25 years at a dinner party at my house discussing this same story with my WD40 VP friend. I told her it was impossible for the can to blow up per my chemistry teacher. My friend ask me if I wanted to see the numerous documents and lawsuits regarding people burning their face off and blowing off fingers doing the same WD40 flame thrower trick.

I stood corrected and so began my journey to question everything. LOL.

Have i used WD40 as a flame thrower since? Yes, of course ;) who can resist?
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 08:05 PM

dk...it reminds me of cleaning MY OWN reels...just today...i'm gonna stay old school with wd...gosh, we sprayed it in a lock on a downrigger mount this morning and this afternoon it was easily....now there's an ad fer ya.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 10:46 PM

Invented by Richard Rypinski, who used to have a place in Rancho Santa Fe.
Good for setting a tire bead, and as starting fluid if you're worried about blowing the head off or rings out with either.
I don't use it as a lubricant anymore, but it sure is a good cleaner and de-watering agent.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 05:58 AM

or cleaning off oil base paint on you hands after painting

or

taking that black grease you have on your fingers after you work on an old engine
actually that is the best reason for having it...use as a cleaner

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 07:12 AM

I use WD40 for underarm deodorant.

The stuff is great for saving my fishing gear......but will try this new stuff.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 07:13 AM
wd 40

water despersent 40 is junk !! try AERO KROIL !! I have saved folk's mucho buck's with this stuff..I give a can and tell to spray it in the morn and then in the afternoon and call me in a week,,repley: but ,I want to go fishing this weekend....my repley: ok,,but if that nut/bolt/screw break's,,you looking up to 1,000 dllrs more in repair (I/O=outboard) and I dont get any arguement and the parts mostly come apart..and if they dont,,that moter is a hurting !! K&T..slamning salmon in monterey ca. :cool:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 07:31 AM

Ah...WD 40!

Ya sure, ya betcha....Better than melted butter to make the lutefisk slide down your gullet.

But I would not lube my Nikon's shutter release with that stuff...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 07:34 AM

WD 40 is 78% solvent which flashes off quickly, the residue becomes sticky/gooey after a while. For a penetrant, lubricant, moisture displacer, and corrosion inhibitor, my money's on Corrosion-X
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 07:48 AM

Now we're talkin...Corrosion X!
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 08:45 AM

I worked with an old Texan when I was a young man, and he would spray WD-40 on his elbow, and rub it in, saying it relieved the pain of arthritis. He swore it was true.:cool::cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:20 AM

Yep!! Best penetrating lube out there. I have several cans on the boat! A bit hard to find, so buy a few cans when you see it. There is a silicone-based Areo Kroil as well for use on stuff that would be damaged by petroleum products.

It's the oil that kreeps!

Also check out Boeshield (not sure of the spelling).

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
water despersent 40 is junk !! try AERO KROIL !! I have saved folk's mucho buck's with this stuff..I give a can and tell to spray it in the morn and then in the afternoon and call me in a week,,repley: but ,I want to go fishing this weekend....my repley: ok,,but if that nut/bolt/screw break's,,you looking up to 1,000 dllrs more in repair (I/O=outboard) and I dont get any arguement and the parts mostly come apart..and if they dont,,that moter is a hurting !! K&T..slamning salmon in monterey ca. :cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Are you old enough to have been involved with the Convair Atlas missile development? I worked on the "Model E" at plant 1 in 1956 then moved up to the new GD Astronautics plant on Kearney Mesa in 1958 and then ended up working at the Sycamore Canyon test facility until 1960.

Not quite, but I remember driving by the plants going to downtown San Diego from Del Mar, before I-5 was built. My dad told me that they were building rockets in there.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.