BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: HOW THE TROUT CLIMBED SAN PEDRO MARTIR MOUNTAIN IN BAJA CALIFORNIA By C.E. UTT
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I wanted to capture a black rattlesnake for the San Diego Zoo

We did capture a black rattlesnake and returned to camp

The snake sharps tell me this snake is a variant of the pacific rattlesnake but he is usually completely suffused with black and only a close inspection reveals any pattern. I have never run across one at elevations under 5000 feet and this one was taken at around 8000 feet.

anybody ever seen a black rattle snake in SPM? i have only seen regular variety...

Not in the SPM---just seen the usual Western Diamondback---but I did come face to face with one of the blackies in the San Diego Mountains while climbing a small cliff to get some Dudleya seed---pulled up to a ledge and there he was looking me in the eye :bounce:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 06:14 PM

Thanks for posting the report David---I was under the impression the original strain was from the San Rafael---got that cleared up. That's magnificent country out there around San Antonio and up to the SPM Mission.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
I wanted to capture a black rattlesnake for the San Diego Zoo

We did capture a black rattlesnake and returned to camp

The snake sharps tell me this snake is a variant of the pacific rattlesnake but he is usually completely suffused with black and only a close inspection reveals any pattern. I have never run across one at elevations under 5000 feet and this one was taken at around 8000 feet.

anybody ever seen a black rattle snake in SPM? i have only seen regular variety...

I didn't write that... why is my name in the quote box with it? I have never heard of a black rattlesnake...

That's from Utt's article. Selecting "Reply With Quote" can't tell what's your writing and what's written by someone else unless it's in its own quote box, like this multiple quote here.

Allen R.

[Edited on 4-19-2012 by bufeo]

Maybe MtGoat can correct the quote... I just don't want to credited for saying something I didn't, that's all. ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe...I haven't fished the S. Fork of the snake but isn't it a combinatin of rainbow and cutthroat. After all the Henry's Fork is it's neighbor and it's all rainbow....

Not all rainbow. I've released cutthroat on the Henry's Fork as well as brookies, but the latter are rarer. The cutts are smaller than the rainbows, since the rainbow dominates the fishery.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe...But I hear the S. Fork by the Tetons is all cutthroat. It's checkered.

For the most part the upper S. Fork, especially where influenced by the Rivers Greys, Salt, and Hoback, all of which hold some really nice and feisty cutts, is famous for its Snake River cutthroats.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe I was actually thinking of the area around Boise. I've fished Silver Creek and the rivers near the town where Hemingway lived. All rainbow.

Silver Ck is dominated by rainbows, but down where the creek begins to flow into the desert and just upstream from the confluence with the Little Wood there are pockets of cutthroats.

The Big Wood River which flows down from Ketchum, through Hailey, Bellevue and into Magic Reservoir is mostly rainbows, but last fall I took a friend up there and the majority of the fish we released fishing above Ketchum, were cutts. I'm not an ichthyologist by any means, and maybe some of those cutts were hybrids, 'cuttbows', if you will.

Nevertheless there are miles of fisheries here in Idaho where cutthroats are plentiful and I find them to be a game fish. The cutts on the Greys over in Wyoming (I know that's not in Idaho. :) ) are especially athletic.

More on topic, over my fifty-plus years of fishing western streams I've been lucky enough to have released specimens of every species of trout, even those plucky little guys in Baja, where I almost felt guilty disturbing their tranquility.

Allen R
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 08:02 PM

Thanks Dave for a wonderful report. C.E. Utt is really an impressive person. Note how he got his grandsons involved.
He is from a different and perhaps more wonderful era then we have today.
He showed alot of "grit"

bacquito
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 08:15 PM
DavidE

Which Eagle Lake?????

....."Eagle Lake for it's rainbow varietal"........

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 08:51 PM

Cool post DK. An inspiring and very interesting read.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 10:11 PM

Eagle Lake, CA. So alkaline any other specie of fish will live 30 seconds then go belly up. The fish were rainbow and didn't taste all that great. Salmos and char that feed on scud and copods are the best -- their flesh turns pink. Feeding trout brine shrimp from Mono Lake (a large aquarium feed business is there) turns them aggressive. Feeding these shrimp (expensive!) to Kamloops Rainbow turns them into freshwater steelhead. Absolutely astonishing vigor. A five pounder ripped me and a Boron X fly rod to shreds on a protected private stretch of stream in the eastern sierras. It took two years and nearly a hundred dollars worth of shrimp (plus regular trout balls) to create "Frankenstein". A friend ridiculed my story until the monster took him and his classic bamboo rod for a ride he never forgot (both Frankenstein and Vince are now long gone).

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
Cool post DK. An inspiring and very interesting read.

Thanks Andy... long time no see! Miss the El Rosario Festivals... Hope all is well with you up there!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 02:07 PM

Mr. Utt was indeed a remarkable man. I have a story that I will post on the Baja Literature section that mentions him.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 03:26 PM

Cool!

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 07:33 PM
Old Wisdom

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."

-Mark Twain

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 05:49 PM
Charles Edward Utt

Here is a photo of him collecting the Baja trout to transplant into other streams of the San Pedro Mártir (1929-1939):

From this site: http://leighrobertson.net/martir.html

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 10:02 PM

Very cool story, still on my Baja wish list. Catch and release some trout.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 06:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidE  
Eagle Lake for it's rainbow varietal

DE: just returned from Eagle Lake; trout still biting flies but it's maybe one fish per 3 hours, arm is sore. two half-pounders and two nice 4 pounders. Pink as can be. Are grebes the noisiest birds on the planet?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2017 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Quote: Originally posted by DavidE  
Eagle Lake for it's rainbow varietal

DE: just returned from Eagle Lake; trout still biting flies but it's maybe one fish per 3 hours, arm is sore. two half-pounders and two nice 4 pounders. Pink as can be. Are grebes the noisiest birds on the planet?

Hi Jim, that reply from Dah-veed was in 2012, just fyi. He last posted on Nomad almost 3 1/2 years ago.

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 10:26 AM
Local knowledge, Trout?

Hey everybody, This story caught my attention for a couple of reasons, 1. I am a trout fisherman that reallty favors the Commando small stream stalking the fish technkiques.

But in my real life, turns out I am a research biologist/ ecologist evolutionary biologist. So an isolated population, who knows how long ago, and then new populations established in other sites, that makes my brain light up.

My idea is to take fin clips from the various streams, and build genetic profiles of each population (fin clips do not hurt the fish)

I am currently gathering together all of the literature I can find - this thread has helped alot. But what I really need is local knowledge. Anyone been to any of these sites, access? hike in, motorcyclce, 4wd? distances travel times etc
what if any infrastructure to support the project (ie do we need to be self contained)

anyone who wants to volunteer to help out - that could be arranged

so please, if you have local knowledge, I would really like to talk with you via email, phone, or whatever
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 10:39 AM

Getting to Mike's Sky Rancho, on the San Rafael River, is easy from the north. Just 20 dirt miles south of Hwy. 3.

Getting on down to the other streams has become a big deal as the roads south of Mike's are really trashed and may be impassable except to motorcycles or seriously modified, short wheelbase 4x4s.

So, you drive around and come up to the Meling Ranch on the paved observatory road. From there, you will need horses and guides to reach the upper tributaries of the Santo Domingo river system and learn where the trout may be found. Many of the mountain ranches have closed the roads, such as Rancho Santa Cruz which is the closest vehicle approach to the San Antonio waterfall which may be near the original source for Baja's trout species.

Keep researching and please share with us what you find!
Thank you!!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 01:27 PM

It still amazes me how DK is so dedicated to our Baja lifestyle that even when he doesn't look for it, he always finds more tidbits about Baja.

Thanks DK!!!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 10:21 AM

here is an ESPN story on fishing for the trout

http://www.espn.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_fea_A...

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.