BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Santa Rosalia Pemex rip-off- exactly how it happens-1st hand report from last night
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 09:31 PM
Santa Rosalia Pemex rip-off- exactly how it happens-1st hand report from last night

After living here for almost five years 24/7/12, and after hearing all my guests say the Santa Rosalia Pemex got them, this should not have happened to me yesterday.
Here's exactly what they do- I pull in and ask for a $300 peso purchase. I KNOW the routine of watching the zeroing-out of the pump like stink on you know what. The guy is programming the 300 peso limit into the pump and I am watching carefully...duh...as usual. Just then, as this is being watched, I hear the sound of my drivers door being opened...ding...ding...ding. I turn around to find someone in my car looking for the hood release to "check to oil". We all know that is a red flag down here so my hair is standing up on end at this point. I work on getting him out of the car as someone is telling me I have a soft tire. I look and find that it is fine. At just that time, the fat 12 year old that is washing the windshield, "bumps" the pump handle and it makes a shut off sound..."cachunk". He says "oops...sorry". I look and it says $223 pesos delivered. They say "OK, re-start the pump"...I say NO, that's enough. I pay them the $223 and leave. My gas guage does not immediately respond to the increase in gas, thus it was a mile or two before I knew no gas was put into the tank. Obviously, I did not see the pump zereoed out because of their routine. Super peeed, I turned and went back to the station. When pulling in, the window washer-kid and the attendent headed to the break room. A totally new guy says "what do you want". I says, in English only "give me $220 pesos and have that little fat buttcrack kid pay for it". He says "Si Senior'. He put the gas in and walked away. No contest-no discussion-no problem. Good team work. Six of our guests buying gas there have been riped off in the last three years.
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 06:45 AM

No way! And they made the little kid pay up? Funny thing how my gas gage dosnt work down there sometimes too :lol: But no ones ever admitted it.

All that wonder are not lost
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 10:31 AM
Good post Manzana

sounds like with a little help from Antonio, something could probably be done to curtail these rip offs. Like a set up or something. And some baseball bats out back to teach them not to try it again.:O:light:
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 04:41 PM

After reading these posts, I wonder to myself how many times I have been taken and not even smart enough to know it..... I would think that this location would get nailed sooner or later!

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 07:16 PM
Gas rip off

Me too. I know better and still they get me. Both Santa Rosalia & Melege are notorious for the distraction game or resetting the pumps. A friend, Mexican filled up the truck and got boat gas and paid. Then put 4 liters, in an official type container while the manager and others in line watched and got 3.5. Made a big stink while others joined in and everyone got the corrected price for their gas. It's not just the tourist they rip off..
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-7-2004 at 07:19 PM
Nope

They're just a lot easier !:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 07:36 PM

JR, is it possible that these (Santa Rosalia & Mulege) MEXICAN Pemex station operators might not be "human"??? Maybe they are from Southern California??:lol:

We can be relieved that at least one Pemex is owned by a really honest 'human'... "BajaCactus". However, keeping his employees honest is a major issue he deals with (maybe they are from Southern California, too?)...

Good and bad exists everywhere JR.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 09:16 PM
Now this could get complicated

as to the reasons they are or are not human but, I'll give you any odds they didn't start their crookery because of the Mexicans attitudes.:light:
And I'll bet they aren't even from there if they are ripping people off. At least the Mexicans anyway.
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 10:17 PM
Dude,

you couldn't be more full of chit. Runaway.

[Edited on 10-8-2004 by BajaNomad]
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2004 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
they didn't start their crookery because of the Mexicans attitudes.:light:

B.S. Attitude has nothing to do with it. Thieves are dishonest and will steal from anyone and everyone.

synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 10-8-2004 at 08:23 AM

So you can try and prevent these problems by locking all doors before you get out of your car (I have power door locks), then using a locking gas cap so you physically have to be at the tank prior to filling up, then standing there the whole time during pumping.

What a hassle....
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-8-2004 at 08:56 AM
Franko, grow up !

I don't expect many of you to understand what I am saying. But, I highly recommend checking out places besides Rosarito or the gringo enclaves to see what I am talking about before calling names and attacking.
All you are doing is proving my point.:lol:
Wireless Willie

[*] posted on 10-8-2004 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by synch
So you can try and prevent these problems by locking all doors before you get out of your car.....

What a hassle....

This also applies at the Army checkpoints when traveling alone. When one wants you to open the camper, another will come from out of no where to go through the front of the truck.

Always vigilant.....

WW
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 10-9-2004 at 12:13 AM

Casamanzana:
A hearty "Me, too" from this corner.

I KNOW that the pump closest to the office has a little pushbutton switch mounted up the hole where they replace the nozzle. It shuts off the pump even though the dials are spinning! How do I know? I reached up there after threatening to deck the manager. Never got my money or gas from him. All the customers in the lot cheered & clapped, tho.
Despite being fined & apparently even closed down several times, these guys have no scruples.

A harsh letter to Pemex got me a $250 peso credit and a complaint form I sent off to PROFECO. Never heard back from them.

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
LOVE2GO2BAJA

[*] posted on 10-9-2004 at 02:43 PM
LIFE'S LESSONS ON GAS IN BAJA

10/9/04
One of the things I enjoy most about Baja Nomad forums is reading about everyone?s experiences while in Baja California. I wish there had been a forum like this when I first started traveling throughout the Baja peninsula it definitely would have saved me lots of time and trouble instead of learning the hard way through my many difficult trials and tribulations that I experienced along the way. On account of it wasn?t that long ago when there was no such thing as the Internet to inform you (first time travelers) of the pitfalls of not watching your gas station attendant zero out the gas pump before he started pumping your (nova) gas. In addition, myself and so many others before me didn?t have the pleasure of always stopping at the local gas station ?Pemex? when traveling south of El Rosario, because they basically didn?t exist virtually they were only located sparsely throughout the Baja peninsula in some of the larger communities or pueblos? which were far and few between. Looking back having to sometimes backtrack out of your way to get gas was a common occurrence. Before Highway 1 was completed gas stations were equal to looking for chicken?s teeth south of Ensenada. More often than not when in need of gas you most likely had to find a rancher?a, mechanic, or local who would be willing to first part with this valuable commodity and sell you some gas out of their 50-gallon drum or 5-gallon gas can. Thus, you weren?t so worried about the accuracy of the pump as you were feeling a sense of relief that you were lucky enough to find gas. Likewise, even if you were lucky to find a Pemex station it didn?t necessarily mean they had gas either that hour, day, or week. Thus, you had to rely heavily on talking with the locals every chance you got from everything, about road conditions to where the next place you could possibly find gas, water, and so forth.
Furthermore, there was no Internet forums to inform you of the advantages of paying for your gas in pesos, not dollars or Traveler?s checks because more often than not service station attendants or others selling gas didn?t have dollars or even change sometimes for that matter. Heck even exchanging dollars (travelers checks) for pesos south of Ensenada was not one of the easiest things to do even 30 years ago because many banks (if you could find one) would only exchange pesos for dollars and or traveler?s checks during certain hours they were open.
I like many others have also had the unfortunate experience of being rip-off at a Pemex station but I quickly learned a few simple rules to live by where ever I travel in Mexico. Such as always get out of the car when stopping for gas and watch them zero the pump if they have one, pay for gas in pesos, never leave valuables unattended or out in the open. Think of it as a good time to practice your Spanish and ask any pertinent questions or just being friendly. That being said on the other hand I?d like to mention I have also been ripped-off more times than I can remember in the U.S. at the local supermarket being overcharged for something I purchased.
Basically use your common sense whenever or wherever you travel whether it is locally or in a foreign country. Fortunately all of my life?s lessons learned while traveling throughout Baja have definitely made me a better and knowledgeable person. I look back on all of my experiences now and laugh but some of them surely didn?t seem so at the moment. Today, how lucky we all should feel that there are so many knowledgeable and experienced people out there willing to give you invaluable advice on traveling throughout Baja or anywhere in the world for that matter at the touch of a computer button.

Love2go2baja

synch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 08:30 AM
La propina primera?

What about if you start the transaction with the tip?

I've heard many here say they usually tip the attendant so why not give it to him first in hopes of a truthful pump reading.
Think it would work?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 08:33 AM
Absolutely Not !

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 01:13 PM

You can file a complaint directly with the Federal Consumer Protection agency in Mexico:

"Attention to Foreigners

Profeco is commited to always provide the best service. We extend our protection to the people who do not live in Mexico and acquire any product or service from a Mexican supplier and are not satisfied with the good or service.

This is a totally free service and does not require the presence of the consumer in the procedure.

The complaint can be submitted in any Profeco office, Embassy, Consulate or any other official representation. The Profeco address is Av. Jos? Vasconcelos No. 208, 6? Piso, Col. Condesa, M?xico D. F. C.P. 06140

The information you must submit is: your name, complete address, telephone and fax numbers, and office hours for contact; supplier?s name and address; a short letter explaning exactly what the reason of the complaint is and the amount requested; copies of all documents as evidence of the transactions, and all other available documents to support the claim.

For further information you can contact us at the following numbers: 55-68-87-22; 01-800-468-87-22 or E-mail: extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx"

A complaint sent to Profeco will definately make it all the way up to the owners of the gas station, as well as Pemex, who has just recently started to cancel the franchises to many gas stattions that are doing this to customers.

http://www.profeco.gob.mx/html/inicio/inicio.htm

synch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 01:52 PM

Quote:

jrbaja wrote:

Absolutely Not !

LOL - jrbaja does not succumb to kidnapped pesos!

OK - Well how do you thwart these tricksters at the pump?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 02:16 PM
I get out

unlock the gas cap and either pump it myself (usually) while they clean the windows or chat with them while they are doing it.
They are either fascinated by the dogs or the bamboo rack, depending on which I am driving.
I have learned that paying in advance for anything down here is no remedy for anything.:light:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.