Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  27    29    31  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 09:12 AM
John and Rachael sighting!!!

Yesterday alongside Mex-1 'way south of Constitution and 15k's north of Las Pocitas.

We were headed north and saw their infamous cart parked out in the weeds next to a lean-to.

"It's the couple that are walking the peninsula!" I suddenly hollered with realization.
"With that cart? No way," said husband, "Its a road-workers' camp."
"Turn around and go back!!" I squealed.

I could see the thoughts going thru Ricardo's head, "How does she know all this weird stuff going on in Baja?" he wondered incredulously... but he turned around and drove back.

There they were! Takin' a nap; sorry we disturbed your beauty rest, but I could not miss this opportunity!
"Helloooo, MexicoLiving!" I hollered from aways away.

Rachael came out, all smiles and flags flying.
"How did you know it was us?" she asked.
The cart was the give-away.

John soon rolled out for the unexpected company while my dog Suzi took the opportunity to explore their makeshift campsite and husband sat there in the car stunned at the sight of these two incredible people out walking the Baja summer desert. He got out and enthusiastically greeted the couple when he realized I was correct and not suffering sun-induced delusions myself.

After some pleasantries we let them get back to their mid-day rest, and as we drove away my husband took another look at their cart, "They're pushing that cart through the desert?" he asked again incredulously and with deep and great admiration.

You guys look good, happy, radiantly healthy.
What a treat to have met you.

Go, Kids, GO!!!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 09:32 AM

John and Rachel, also enjoying your updates, your determination and achievement is truly inspiring. If the journey ends tomorrow you have accomplished something unique and heroic that deserves to be long remembered and celebrated.

And a belated… Happy July 4. Thought about what you were going through and the amazing spirit that has carried you so far.

But a little misgiving... With the cauldron of La Paz and the East Cape before them, I sure hope John gets something other than self diagnosis after finding blood in his urine and reporting periodic lower back pain. I’m surprised no one else has commented on this. I certainly wouldn’t wait till I get back to San Felipe to get a few tests.

I remember a year or two after Into a Desert Place was published I received a letter from a doctor in Russia, who was convinced that after my bouts with dehydration and over-exertion in the Baja heat I had irreversible kidney damage and should get myself checked out. Well that was thirty years ago and I’m still going strong… and I never had any tests, so I confess I find it odd that I’m the one voicing concern over this and advising caution. But then again I never had those symptoms!

I wish I were in La Paz now; I would drive out and offer to load up my pickup with the cart and most all the gear and run beside them and check in with them occasionally with cold drinks and help them set up camp in the evening. Maybe that will be the ideal solution, even if for just some of the time, to free them from the load and keep them going if all proves well.

They sure deserve all the help and kindness they can get.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 09:41 AM

....mannn,,if I was down there,I'd be putting together a decent cart for them at LEAST!!!...those tiny wheels would be just terrible in sand,,as evidenced by the # of flats they're getting:no:

...definitely sounds important to take a break,,have some tests!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 09:53 AM
crazy world

and you wonder why other life forms dont stop and say Hi:lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 08:28 PM
July 5

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 08:39 PM

Stay strong................quite an accomplishment. There are doctors in La Paz if you need a checkup. Sorry to be a bummer. I hate the doctors office too.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 07:42 AM

the moonlight walking must be lovely indeed...looks like it's gonna get pretty scorchy over the weekend as "Daniel" sucks out any breeze...be safe and pray for shade!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 08:33 AM

Thank you everyone for the very kind words. This is just a quick update because our time is limited, it has been getting hotter and hotter, and we only realized we could get internet access a moment ago and we are losing the coolness of the morning. I think we are going to just walk a few km and stop until this evening and walk through the night. It is much cooler, but a lot more dangerous and more difficult to find camping, but we do have a good moon still.

The last couple of days we have had many roadside visitors and made many new friends. These visits energize us and keep up moving; we love them. We have some great photos and a more detailed up date coming when we get to La Paz.

We are down to no spares, no tread, and three of the tubes have leaks. The biog problem is one of them is loosing the barrings, so we moved it to the back and are being very very careful. They are all well-greased. I got one patched well this morning, so I am hoping it will get us some distance. If you are in La Paz or know someone in La Paz, we could use a couple of tires and wheels. We are walking obviously, so if you know where we can buy them, or can bring them to us, we can pay for them. We just don't want to have to walk all over a city the size of La Paz to try and find them. They are wheel barrel tires, or tires for a "diablo", as the Mexicans have been calling them.

The tires are 4.10 x 3.50. Here is a photo: http://bajagoodlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tire-and-...

Thanks again. I plan to post this request on the La Paz Gringo group as well.

Again thank you for all the support and visits and we will provide a detailed update with photos of all these wonderful visitors when we get to La Paz, along with comments to many of you specifically, we feel bad we can not talk or comment on all of your comments at the moment. Gotta hit the road, while we still can. We are in Las Pacitas heading out in a couple of minutes.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 08:36 AM

May the force be with you!!!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 09:01 AM
Walking

HOLA walkers..Ummmm.why would you wait till this time of year to do this??? I do not understand ????? K & T :?:
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
They are wheel barrel tires, or tires for a "diablo", as the Mexicans have been calling them.

The tires are 4.10 x 3.50. Here is a photo: http://bajagoodlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tire-and-...

"Un diablo" is the common word for a handtruck so they are wheelbarrow or handtruck tires.

"Diablo" actually refers to the forks (horns) on a forklift but they use the word for a handtruck, also. (Sometimes "diablito", little devil)

Good Luck!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 10:08 AM

I have 2 sets wheels and tires leaving here to take them to them in an hour.

wiley

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 10:13 AM

Wiley is a great source...he's got everything needed!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 10:40 AM

They must be having problems, they turned around and went back to where they spent the night. Comitan, cool! They need all the help they can get!
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 11:41 AM

By the time they were able to say long goodbyes to their host family, it was 10 am and the sun was burning hot so they walked 1 kilometer and turned around back to the porch and they plan on leaving at 2am to continue their trek southward.

They are down to no spare tires and out of money again due to continued repairs and supplies on the wagon, no banks until La Paz.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 04:20 PM

Wiley and Carol found us with the help of local police, they brought two brand new tires and refreshments, including fresh baked bread.

We went back to Rossy's Restaurant to wait until early morning to try again. Rachel had not been good the day before due to heat and we didn't want to do it again today, so we changed our mind about walking today. We going to leave this morning and walk in the moon light and cool mornings...

We did it this time of year for a couple of reasons; 1 it is the only time of the year when we have the available time, and 2, the point is to bring attention to the challenges our charities face during the summer, by creating a challenge for ourselves...our goal is to gt people to help, so that we can all over come the challenges.

Thanks again to everyone, and to Wiley and Carol, and DesertBull for giving them an update.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 06:12 PM

SPOT TRACKER MAP LINK

Not anything new to show from yesterday's map... Understand the heat and sunlight is intense... the sun is nearly straight overhead that close to the Tropic of Cancer in early July. If the equipment doesn't fail, the people could.

Nobody will fault you guys if you end this torture of man and machine... 'er 'diablo' at La Paz (or sooner). Your health is more important than anything... as without that, you're toast (or is it toasted?)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2012 at 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
They are wheel barrel tires, or tires for a "diablo", as the Mexicans have been calling them.

"Un diablo" is the common word for a handtruck so they are wheelbarrow or handtruck tires.

"Diablo" actually refers to the forks (horns) on a forklift but they use the word for a handtruck, also. (Sometimes "diablito", little devil)

Good Luck!

...it'd be good to confirm the axle size and upgrade to actual 14'' -wheelbarrow- tires!....those are 8.5''....I just can't inagine how many 4'' holes they bottom-out on:no:

...'nuff adversity already:o
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-7-2012 at 04:56 AM

After meeting them yesterday I would have to say they are doing fine, nothing for anybody to worry about. They have new tires and wheels and should be good to get to La Paz, they can get more wheels and tires if necessary.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2012 at 11:30 AM

The Walkers went about 12 miles last night and are now 55 miles from La Paz. :yes::spingrin:
 Pages:  1  ..  27    29    31  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.