Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Our travelers covered an incredible 26 miles. They started at 3:30AM and walked until about 11AM when they arrived at El Triunfo.

Most of the day seems to have spent in town and they camped just outside of town. Image shows El Triunfo with their resting place (#50).

Hopefully I got it right this time goldhuntress.

Ha, well, I got 17.2 for yesterday at the check in around 11 then they went one more track later in the afternoon and camped for the night just outside of town. so that added another .6 miles making 17.8 for the day by my calculations.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 08:31 AM
Making great progress...

Looks like after weeks of walking they got themselves into tip top physical condition!!! Felicidades!!
Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Our travelers covered an incredible 26 miles. They started at 3:30AM and walked until about 11AM when they arrived at El Triunfo.

Most of the day seems to have spent in town and they camped just outside of town. Image shows El Triunfo with their resting place (#50).

Hopefully I got it right this time goldhuntress.

Ha, well, I got 17.2 for yesterday at the check in around 11 then they went one more track later in the afternoon and camped for the night just outside of town. so that added another .6 miles making 17.8 for the day by my calculations.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 01:49 PM

I received this about an hour ago - looks like it was meant as a reply to the thread:

Quote:

Hey everyone, finally got online. Just a quick update while John rests a few minutes.

Thanks to our good friend Wiley in La Paz, we now have vehicle support. It is allowing us to walk without pulling the cart, which means we are walking without the burden of the 200lbs, and the danger of crossing the mountains to San Bartola/Los Barriles.

We are still walking, but the cart was killing John. Within hours of leaving La Paz John was having some serious hip and back pain, to the point of nearly stopping completely. It was horribly emotional and upsetting, to say the least. In addition to the pain, he is having issues that we will see the doctor about when we return.

However, that being said, we are both in extremely good condition in terms of physical muscle strength and endurance, and our cardio-conditioning is incredible. Not having to pull the cart in the last couple days has been a big relief to John, and his hips are only hurting a little, and sometimes not at all with Ibuprofen, although he is still having some back pain, he is able to walk further than every before.

Our goal is to push as hard as possible over the next week or so and complete this as quickly as possible, so we can get back home and John to see his doctor. Nearly everything comes with some good and some bad. No worries, though, John is already talking to me about doing it again next year, so we can do a better job of it.

Thanks again for all the support. John will give you one of his updates, when we get to either Los Barriles or San Jose.

Rachel

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 02:28 PM

Thank you Admin! :spingrin:
John always does the posts, this was my 1st post :(.
Rachel
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 03:00 PM

Rachel and John, Sorry to hear John's having some problems and glad you've got some support now, that will make it much better for you guys. Stay strong, we're rooting for you!! 22.5 miles today as of 3:00pm PST.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 07:37 PM

Glad you have been able to lighten the load! It is a good thing. You are doing GREAT---

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 08:15 PM

Wow!!! They went the entire way to Los Barriles, 33 miles in one day!!! That is the furthest they have walked in a single day. Congrats John and Rachel!:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 08:19 PM
Another MexicoLiving sighting!

This time in beautiful San Bartolo up in the mountains.

We were driving back north from San Jose this afternoon and stopped for coffee and to buy some candied fruit-- do you know they make dulce de biznaga? That's candied barrel cactus-- its pretty good!

Anyway, I got my cafe colado and we bought some dulce and were on our way when Ricardo pointed out a guy in a big sunhat walking south through town. Sure nuff, it was John!

We flipped a U as soon as we could and caught up with him. He recognized us right away from when we met them some 10 days ago aways south of Constitution.

"Hi!Hi! Good to see you!" all around.
John looked really good and happy, listening to something on his ipod as he trucked along.

"Rachel's up the road a couple miles. We hope to make it to Los Barriles tomorrow, no problem." he said as he lifted a very cold bottle of water and smiled.

Hop in, we'll give you a ride to catch up with Rachael, we said. "Oh, no. Can't do that. Have to walk the whole way; that's the deal," smiled John.

Didn't realize they're now cart-free until I got on-line tonight in La Paz. Apparently they got separated but were aware of their locations.

More handshakes and good lucks and we were all on our way.

We noticed lots of puddles up there in the mountains and all the way down to La Paz-- rain!
They got rain and hopefully some cooling weather.

Good luck, guys.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 07:32 AM

Wiley is one of the all-time best Nomad. Always willing to help at the drop of a hat.

Hey...thanks for the beers couple of weeks ago, Wiley!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 07:59 AM

...haven't checked in in a while--VERY glad to see they've lost that crazy cart;)
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 11:26 AM
Well who would figure...

Didn't think there were mountains in Baja Sur or rain for that matter this time of year...cafe colado...I'll have to look that one up. Sounds like a nice place.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
This time in beautiful San Bartolo up in the mountains.

We were driving back north from San Jose this afternoon and stopped for coffee and to buy some candied fruit-- do you know they make dulce de biznaga? That's candied barrel cactus-- its pretty good!

Anyway, I got my cafe colado and we bought some dulce and were on our way when Ricardo pointed out a guy in a big sunhat walking south through town. Sure nuff, it was John!

We flipped a U as soon as we could and caught up with him. He recognized us right away from when we met them some 10 days ago aways south of Constitution.

"Hi!Hi! Good to see you!" all around.
John looked really good and happy, listening to something on his ipod as he trucked along.

"Rachel's up the road a couple miles. We hope to make it to Los Barriles tomorrow, no problem." he said as he lifted a very cold bottle of water and smiled.

Hop in, we'll give you a ride to catch up with Rachael, we said. "Oh, no. Can't do that. Have to walk the whole way; that's the deal," smiled John.

Didn't realize they're now cart-free until I got on-line tonight in La Paz. Apparently they got separated but were aware of their locations.

More handshakes and good lucks and we were all on our way.

We noticed lots of puddles up there in the mountains and all the way down to La Paz-- rain!
They got rain and hopefully some cooling weather.

Good luck, guys.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Wiley is one of the all-time best Nomad. Always willing to help at the drop of a hat.

Which Wiley?? One I know and he is a good guy, and the other I have not met, but he also seems like a good guy. Just curious which one?

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Which Wiley?? One I know and he is a good guy, and the other I have not met, but he also seems like a good guy. Just curious which one?

He is comitan on BN and has been a real friend to our walkers:biggrin:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111762627298877558621/BajaWalkG...
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

He is comitan on BN and has been a real friend to our walkers:biggrin:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111762627298877558621/BajaWalkG...

I thought so, but was not sure --- and yes, he and his wife are both really good people.

Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 02:04 PM

From Baja Pony Express

John and Rachael Park, The Walkers,  are in Los Barriles!  They arrived last evening and will be staying two nights, probably leaving Thursday on their adventure. We will have a Meet and Greet 4pm-6pm at Smokey's.  Please stop by and wish them well and let's show them a real Los Barriles welcome!   Also, you can sign up to walk with them for one mile for $100ps and the donation will go directly to ALMA.  What an amazing couple.
=================================
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 06:44 PM

We stopped in at Smokys to see John and Rachel, they didn't remember our names but remembered Cacahuate right away. Had a nice chat and adult beverage. Congratulations on your trip so far and good luck on the rest of your journey John and Rachel......dt, jt and cacahuate

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 09:19 PM

We will be taking some day trips out from La Paz, so I'll look for them... We got to Bajatripper's this afternoon.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
We will be taking some day trips out from La Paz, so I'll look for them... We got to Bajatripper's this afternoon.

Sounds cool! I hope to make this trip next summer.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Didn't think there were mountains in Baja Sur or rain for that matter this time of year...cafe colado...I'll have to look that one up. Sounds like a nice place.

Yes, there's gorgeous mountains just south and east of La Paz with an amazing micro-climate. I've seen the rain just pound up there which makes for green. There is a type of tree up there with large white flowers. Neither of us had ever seen it flower before-- anybody know what it is?

At this time of year all along the highway through El Triunfo you'll see people standing alongside holding out large cans filled with something. When you see them, plan to stop-- immediately! They're offering fresh pitahaya fruit-- OMGosh its GOOD!!! What a treat! $100Pesos/big tin can full of amazing cactus fruit.

Cafe Colado is not the name of a chain of Baja coffeehouses. You'll see this sign at all the little food stands as you travel along. If you're interested in a darn good cuppa ask for cafe colado. Its how the rancheros brew their morning wakeup. Its made by grinding the beans, putting the fresh grounds in a specially designed small cotton sack which is held over a cup or coffee pot; then boiling water is slowly poured through. This makes for a magical brew. As a funny aside, the ranchers refer to this as cafe talego; because of the funnel shape of the cotton bag the colado looks very much like a goat teat. If you want to raise eyebrows, walk into a loncheria and ask the waitress for cafe talego-- you'll knock 'em out!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 7-19-2012 at 04:42 PM

Sounds wonderful...hopefully I can do more exploring when I have more time after August...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

Yes, there's gorgeous mountains just south and east of La Paz with an amazing micro-climate. I've seen the rain just pound up there which makes for green. There is a type of tree up there with large white flowers. Neither of us had ever seen it flower before-- anybody know what it is?

At this time of year all along the highway through El Triunfo you'll see people standing alongside holding out large cans filled with something. When you see them, plan to stop-- immediately! They're offering fresh pitahaya fruit-- OMGosh its GOOD!!! What a treat! $100Pesos/big tin can full of amazing cactus fruit.

Cafe Colado is not the name of a chain of Baja coffeehouses. You'll see this sign at all the little food stands as you travel along. If you're interested in a darn good cuppa ask for cafe colado. Its how the rancheros brew their morning wakeup. Its made by grinding the beans, putting the fresh grounds in a specially designed small cotton sack which is held over a cup or coffee pot; then boiling water is slowly poured through. This makes for a magical brew. As a funny aside, the ranchers refer to this as cafe talego; because of the funnel shape of the cotton bag the colado looks very much like a goat teat. If you want to raise eyebrows, walk into a loncheria and ask the waitress for cafe talego-- you'll knock 'em out!
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.