Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: TWs AV Timbabichi & Guajademi Trip Report
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 08:49 AM

Steve would be a great guy to have along on your trip, his command of the Spanish language came in handy many times on the Timbabichi trip......can I come too?....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 09:20 AM

Thank much for letting us go along ... great trip ... and thanks for all the work.. really enjoyed .... :):)

LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 09:28 AM

THANK YOU, Tom! I just skimmed the report and pics enough to see that I need to get a little work done and them come back to it when I have an hour or so to give it justice. I'm going to find myself on this route soon and want to get some more info.

BTW, I've seen that Bradey Racing Bronco all over La Paz. :biggrin:

Something else, I hate it when people give me advice on border crossings, but...

if you guys are leaving Hemet, you should take the county roads down to the 8 fwy thru the desert and head across at Mexicali! On my trips down thru CoCo's Corner to BoLA, I left Temecula and in a matter of minutes I felt like I was on vacation cause the desert roads are so much fun.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 09:47 AM

No problem with the advice, thanks. I thought of going thru Mexicali but wasn't sure where to get the visa and where to pay at a bank as I've never gotten one there. Also I was in Mexicali in March and the streets were a mess with all the new construction.

Kurt I second what Bajatripper said. I would rate the AV and Timbabichi roads a little better than the road from La Purisima to Mulege.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Steve would be a great guy to have along on your trip, his command of the Spanish language came in handy many times on the Timbabichi trip......can I come too?....dt

Absolutely, more the merrier! Another vehicle or two makes me feel more secure.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot

Absolutely, more the merrier! Another vehicle or two makes me feel more secure.

Great, keep me posted......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:
TW,
How would you rate the Guajadami road versus the road out of Agua Verde to San Jose de la Noria as to degree of difficulty. Our Explorer handled the former ok and we would like to do the Agua Verde road this fall but I rate the Explorer as strictly a medium duty 4wd. With care it has taken us on some rugged roads but I am aware of its limitations.
Thanks,
Kurt

You shouldn't have any problem taking that Explorer over the roads we took. Have fun.

Our thought is to do that route south from Agua Verde and then on to Evaristo and down the coast to La Paz. Probably in late Oct. Care to join us?

If I'm still in the area and have replaced my tires by then, I'd love to. You probably wouldn't have any problems rounding up a willing group if you started a thread and set a date for the outing.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 01:23 PM

Great trip report, by the way, Tom. I just noticed my first post stating so didn't appear. I'm jealous of the part of the trip I didn't go on, but at least your photos take me there. I'm going to have to go on that Arroyo Hondo way to Mulege some time, your photos of that looked impressive.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 01:44 PM

Thanks Steve. We followed KurtG's trail notes. I don't remember where it was, I think over half way but there was a section with two side roads to our left that looked like a lot of traffic had been on them. Kurt didn't say anything about turning left but just in case there was a vaquero passing by on horseback and we asked him which way to Mulege and he said straight. The locals sure come in handy when you want to know which way to go.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 03:28 PM

Great trip/trip report and pics, Tom.
Many new roads to think about, I've been over the San Juanico to Mulege route and around Purisima and Paso Hondo but not the rest.
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 04:40 PM

Awesome. Great trip report. Your Google Earth maps show well the location of the trip. Those switchbacks look tight for a long wheelbase rig.

Great work. Thanks for taking the time to share.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 09:24 AM

Phil and I have extended cab Tacomas and on a couple of the switchbacks we had to backup but I also could make them if I swung wide for the turn. I don't think a full size extended cab or crewcab could do it without backing up.

Your motorhome might have a real problem.

[Edited on 5-12-2012 by TW]
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Phil and I have extended cab Tacomas and on a couple of the switchbacks we had to backup but I also could make them if I swung wide for the turn. I don't think a full size extended cab or crewcab could do it without backing up.

Your motorhome might have a real problem.

[Edited on 5-12-2012 by TW]

My wheelbase is 159 in., actually shorter than full size US crewcabs which have 167, 170, or 173, Chevy, Ford and Dodge respectively. Oh well, next time I drive to Baja I'll have my Zuk X90 ATV in tow.

Blair
Junior Nomad

Mood: Getting ready to go again

[*] posted on 7-14-2012 at 08:19 PM

Great report and I liked your pics of Guajademi. Our group went through there in April on the bikes and foung that stretch really interesting.

Blair in El Cajon
bajaking76
Nomad

Mood: If Baja calls, I am home.

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The original family, mom, pop, 3 boys and 10 girls

The family history in english notice how it is spelled with an e not an i, Tembabichi. Spanish version same with an e.

Some of the descendants

Some village homes

[Edited on 5-10-2012 by TW]

The history page was typewritten by Jimmy Smith from the East Cape area and I believe the photo is owned by Manuel and his wife (She is De La Toba’s granddaughter). Very cool trip, thanks for the pictures!

\"That\'s my thing, that\'s what I do\"
\"Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!\"
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The camp at Agua Verde ... Where we were

Hey TW -- I was about to camp in that very spot, but I saw this sign (below) and so wasn't sure my presence would be appreciated. Do you know what they mean by RESTRICTED AREA? Keep out? Camping OK? (This was when I passed through in May 2012.)

-- Geoff
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 12:39 PM

I don't remember seeding the sign. My guess is that you would need to get permission from the Ejido. But the town of San Jose de la Noria is at the top of the mountain and that road is wiped out. Maybe further into Agua Verde at a store or rancho.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-31-2023 at 09:16 PM

One of the great Baja Nomad group trips!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 10:33 AM

We did the trip on our bikes in 2019. Read this thread and posts from Tom on Timbabichi while doing prep. The truck followed behind. It is a really fun ride down to the ocean through the canyon. I mapped out the last part to Puerto Gato on Google Earth before hand and loaded it into Back Country Navigator.

After hitting Timbachichi, we had a couple beers and started heading North for Gato just as the sun was setting. It's about a 3.5 mile ride. Easy, peezy. There were two ways you could go, along the coast or inland. My son and I went the inland route and the truck forked to the coast. I made the wrong choice.

The "trail" got much fainter and much more difficult as we fell into dusk. Then I realized my phone, which was our GPS, was at 5% battery and my kid's bike was on fumes. A lot of adrenaline pushed us to ride it as fast as we could. It was definitely one of the tougher rides we've had in Baja. A lot of quick up and downs. We did the last bit in the dark until my phone died.

I was pretty worried we were going to have to walk it. Called the truck using our handheld and they were able to find us as we were very close to where the trails met up again. We were kinda freaked out before they reached us; it was pitch dark and we didn't know for sure which way to go. And my MX friend calling me a p#ssy over the radio didn't help. :lol:

Will have that memory with my oldest son forever.

[Edited on 4-2-2023 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2023 at 11:51 AM

I've never been to Gato. On my trip Karl took my brother and I to a beautiful beach area I think where the red line from Timbabichi goes north along the coast then turns northwest.

It's fun to get lost in Baja cause you never know whats next.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.