Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  16
Author: Subject: Toyota Tacoma Frame Crack
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 07:05 PM
Toyota Tacoma Frame Crack

So after a few months of metal on metal banging, I took my 2005 Toyota Tacoma into Bob Baker Toyota in Lemon Grove. I can’t say enough about the service department here. They are 100% professional and straight shooters. I initially thought the sound was from some missing bolts on the bumper but after replacing those realized that was not the case.

I went out with the service manager on a test drive to listen to the noise. He said he speak with the technician and get back to me. Well it turns out the frame has a crack in it. The service adviser was dumbfounded and had never seen this. He did suggest there was an issue a while back with cracked frames but it did not involve my truck.

So far, my truck has been in for three recall issues and a number of warranty issues. But based on the wear and tear Baja places on it, I am moderately happy with my Tacoma. The service adviser is going to call Toyota on Tuesday and see what, if anything, they can do for me. He said not to get my hopes up based on the 112k miles I have on it but anything is possible. He also said he thinks a good weld job should save the integrity of the frame.

My question to all you Nomads is what do you think Toyota will do or if they should do anything? Seems to me a frame should last longer but we’ll see.
Either way, it’s all good and we’ll see how it all plays out.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 07:09 PM

bummer. my tundra has a c channel frame rail (weaker than a box frame) and i'd assume yours does too. keep your fingers crossed. maybe they'll take care of you. too bad it doesn't qualify for the frame replacement....

fingers crossed.

sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 07:12 PM

I would expect Toyota to take care of this unless your truck was involved in an accident. I have 178,000 miles on my 2007 Highlander and it runs like new. Took it in yesterday for an oil change, and it needs nothing.
My original battery was replaced prior to a Baja trip at 130,000 miles, and it was still good.
My next car will be a Toyota, no surprises and dependable!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 07:17 PM

Best of luck, how awful.

Where is the crack located? How long is it? I am assuming if it's making noise it is monstrous.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Best of luck, how awful.

Where is the crack located? How long is it? I am assuming if it's making noise it is monstrous.

Actually the noise isn't so bad but definitely noticeable. The crack looks like "chipped paint" according to the adviser. The good news is that I should be able to save the frame with a weld...hopefully Toyota steps up, though.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 07:26 PM

If its a C frame they should also weld in a gusset.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 07:47 PM

Just because it's a c-frame that it's weaker than box frame. It depends on the tensile strength of the metal used. Look at the medium duty trucks -they have c-frames - and many are rated up to 26k lbs.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 08:16 PM

You should have let more air out of the tires.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Thanks for the excellent advice :barf:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 10:28 PM

Baja can take a toll on any vehicle. For example, my body bushings were completely ground into dust after 7 years of Baja travels and hard 4WD trails.

Question: Did you check your body bushings for body on frame contact? This might be a neglected area that possibly lead to frame failure. While these parts are not Genuine Toyota parts - which may void your warranty, I would consider installing new body bushings like the ones I have pictured here.

Body mount bushing (Before)

Body mount bushing (After)

Bent rim - I could not get tires to balance - wonder why?? :?:

Baja travel is much more punishing on our vehicles than we would like to think.

Personally, I think Toyota will weld your frame, but will probably ask you to sign a liability waiver for future actions due to the compromised nature of the vehicle as a whole. Don't tell them that you ever took the pickup truck off road and/or Baja (if you haven't volunteered that information already).

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 10:43 PM

Bummer... but things do wear out after enough use or abuse. I have been hard on my trucks, but I can't break them... only dent the underside or bend a bumper (on the Mision Santa Maria Road)!

My '01 Xtra Cab had 136,000 trouble free miles in under 5 years. The only thing I replaced on it was a water pump at 90,000 miles (it didn't fail, but had a drip).

My '05 Double Cab had 102,000 miles on it in just over 4 years... the rear suspension was too soft (I added Ride Rites and solved the issue)... the brakes were noisy for a bit and I didn't like the ABS not stopping in wet or dirt roads.. and the 'spiral/ clock-spring cable' failed and that made the air bag warning light come on... that was the only failure that truck had.

My '10 Double Cab has only 37,000 miles in 2.5 years... and it is perfect (so far). A drip from the speedometer cable cap when it was new was fixed, and they gave me a loaner car while they kept it overnight to be sure. The ABS brakes on it stop the truck fine in all conditions.

All three were/ are 4WD TRD OFF ROAD TACOMAS.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 10:59 PM

David,

If you had kept the '01 Tacoma, I am sure you might have had major repair issues like Baja Boy does.

It might be time for Baja Boy to trade up to a newer vehicle - his Tacoma has already had a number of warranty and recall issues, and after more than a decade, any vehicle can get worn down requiring rebuilding/replacement of critical parts.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, is the crack in a non-stress area (like up by the bumper) or in a stress area (by motor mounts or suspension mounts)?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 07:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, is the crack in a non-stress area (like up by the bumper) or in a stress area (by motor mounts or suspension mounts)?

From what I understand it's by the motor mount on the driver's side.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 07:24 AM
IMPLIED or SECRET WARRANTY

Implied Warranties
Implied warranties are not written or spoken, but automatically apply when you purchase a car (unless the car is sold "as is"). There are two types of implied warranties: the implied warranty of merchantability and the implied warranty of fitness.

Implied Warranty of Merchantability
The implied warranty of merchantability assures that an automobile will work as expected, given its age and condition. This usually means that the car is in average condition for the price paid and is fit for safe and reliable transportation. It does not guarantee a perfect car.

Implied Warranty of Fitness
The implied warranty of fitness applies when you buy an automobile with a specific purpose in mind. If you make the seller aware of your purpose for the car (for example, to climb your steep driveway) and rely on the seller's judgment to select a suitable car, the implied warranty of fitness guarantees that the car will work for that purpose.

In most states, implied warranties last forever. In a few states, however, the length of the implied warranty is the same as that of any express warranty that comes with the automobile.

Secret Warranties
Many automobile manufacturers have "secret warranty" or "warranty adjustment" programs. Under these programs, the manufacturer will do free repairs on vehicles with persistent problems, even after the warranty expires, in order to avoid a recall and bad press. According to the Center for Auto Safety (www.autosafety.org), at any given time there are approximately 500 secret warranty programs available through automobile manufacturers.

Unfortunately, manufacturers don't advertise these programs. So, a car owner often won't know about the available relief unless he or she complains about a problem and demands that the manufacturer repair it after the warranty has expired. In a few states, including California, Connecticut, Virginia, and Wisconsin, manufacturers are required to tell eligible consumers about secret warranty programs -- usually within 90 days of adopting the program.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/car-warranties-basics...

Bob Durrell
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 07:38 AM

My pre-Tacoma Toyota PU with pop-top camper driven to work by an old lady schoolteacher cracked just behind the front A-Arm. Guess she should not have taken the Pole Line Road shortcut so often.

I did not expect Toyota to do anything and got it welded/plated with no more problems.

Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 07:41 AM

I would make sure any welding process was done correctly to include possibly a second opinion.

When welding steel a material transformation process takes place (from the heat) that effects the tensile strength around the weld. In other words, if done incorrectly more problems, including catastrophic failure, could occur later.

That is why welders are taught to never weld vertically on a frame unless using a gusset.

I am sure there are some engineers or welders out there that can give you better info. Mine is only from the perspective of a manager in the aircraft maintenance business (and from off-road racing).
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
David,

If you had kept the '01 Tacoma, I am sure you might have had major repair issues like Baja Boy does.

It might be time for Baja Boy to trade up to a newer vehicle - his Tacoma has already had a number of warranty and recall issues, and after more than a decade, any vehicle can get worn down requiring rebuilding/replacement of critical parts.

We're in the process of buying another place and thus are holding off on a new car purchase. I'm also holding my breath that maybe, just maybe, one of the new models will get better mpg. But trust me, I've looked at the double cab more than once especially now that the kids are getting bigger. I'm hoping I can wait a bit longer, though. Again this truck has been just okay....not like my 93 Taco which went anywhere.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 08:05 AM

i'm always on the lookout for one of these.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Synaivsh80w

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 08:13 AM

my question...

did you buy the truck "brand new" or did it have a first owner

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1    3  ..  16

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.