Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: gophers in the garden
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 06:21 AM
gophers in the garden

we have just had our first sign ever of gophers around the yard but they haven't found my garden yet......how do I prevent them from eating all my plants ?????

thanks for any tips !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 06:43 AM

pellet gun

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 06:53 AM

Tuza trap at your local feed store.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 07:06 AM

We have them here at the farm...............the way we rid em is to put the water hose down the tunnel and leave the flow going til the water backs out of the tunnel opening.

These tunnels can run 30 - 40 feet!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 08:22 AM

Lot's of good info here....

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-trap-a-gopher/

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 08:38 AM

They have gophers in Baja? Must be up around the border, they'd get dehydrated and mummified in their tunnels down in these parts.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 08:41 AM

Small video clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPpqhG3tYbI

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 08:42 AM

Are you sure that they are not moles? Moles don't eat plants; just bugs. Big hills = gophers

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 08:43 AM

A friend had them undercutting the pavement at his machine shop. I used acetylene, 5X heavier than air. Worked like a charm. In Michoacan, we have Mexican whip snakes. Fast, aggressive, and with a high metabolism. No problems with gophers. Way out in the country campesinos used to dig out old rattlesnake dens, bag the dirt and spread some around gopher holes. Adios...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:10 AM

The first year we moved into our place here in the foothills outside of Oakdale I trapped 200 gophers on our three acres..... Whew, no exaggeration....
The traps are the only way to go.
But, the advice given shows only wire traps.
You need at least two kinds of traps, cuz some gophers figure out how to avoid one type...
The other trap is a 'box type' trap, hard to find the old wooden ones, but Orchard and Lowes sell a plastic box that is good.
The other secret, make sure that the end of the hole is sufficiently covered with dirt or a large board so that no light gets in- if they see light they will push dirt to cover it.

Hose down the hole- well, that sure makes you feel good, once in a great while it works, but it does a lot more underground erosion damage than any occasional benefit of a catch.

If you have a dog be sure to secure the trap area- my Lab races me to check the trap and she is an expert at digging em up and eating them whole- naw, not the trap, the gopher.

Final tip..... I have an owl house on a 20 foot pole out back. An owl will eat 3 to 5 critters, mostly mice and gophers, per night. Right now we have a pair, plus three little owlets.... which means every night at least a dozen critters are being consumed around our area.

Hope this helps- and put away the hose!!
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:10 AM

How not to attack gophers 101

After trying many things that were guaranteed to rid me of a colony that had taken over a slight slope between my place and the lake I was ready to try anything.

My try at the water attack nearly washed away the side hill after pumping in hundreds of gallons in one hole and having hundreds of gallons coming out of many holes:lol:

What next?........Gasoline yes why not,got a couple of gallon cans and started pouring away the fumes should get them any time now,but nothing was happening by now I had put one can down the hole what now? a brain cramp was being to form as I pulled out a match:o

Picture this I'm standing over the hole as I dropped the match in,an explosion took place,a fire ball comes out of there and burns everything in sight,eyebrows eyelashes,instant sun tanned face:lol:

Nature took care of things a few days later when a huge King snake set up shop on the slope,problem solved.

Never ever use gas:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:18 AM
Gopher Blaster

http://www.rodentblaster.com/

Cool videos.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGnW0KLFZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYTLm5bLfqw

Shades of Caddyshack!!!

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:20 AM

I just trapped 3 gophers last week with the black box. I got it at home depot. I was using gas bombs and poison for 9 months prior trying to get them. I bought the black box and 2 days later no mas gophers! :)

http://www.victorpest.com/store/mole-and-gopher-control/0625
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:36 AM

Black Box has beaten all other remedies I tried, I highly recommend it!

Brian
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 10:36 AM

WHO CAN BRING ME 3 BLACK BOXES URGENTLY ?????????????

In exchange for lunch or one night at our B&B or you name it.......

three boxes might be overkill, I would be happy with one or two, if you think it will do the job. I found the first hole last week. The second one yesterday. It'd be nice to get rid of them before they take over .... other nieghbors had mentioned having problems but we have never seen them here in the 6 years we've been here.

[Edited on 5-24-2012 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 10:47 AM

I think all agriculture districts will have a poison store for the farmers...insecticides, etc.
There's one here in Maneadero called "Quimical" and I buy these large tablets in an aluminum cigar tube called "Aluminum Phosphide." Toss a tablet into the hole, cover the opening with dirt and wet the soil over the tablet.
It's just like sending the little critter to the gas chamber.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I think all agriculture districts will have a poison store for the farmers...insecticides, etc.
There's one here in Maneadero called "Quimical" and I buy these large tablets in an aluminum cigar tube called "Aluminum Phosphide." Toss a tablet into the hole, cover the opening with dirt and wet the soil over the tablet.
It's just like sending the little critter to the gas chamber.

Yes, I hear you can get some very deadly stuff down in mexico that you can't get in California. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
Yes, I hear you can get some very deadly stuff down in mexico that you can't get in California. :lol:

Paraquat is one of my personal faves. When I just walk outside and mention the word, weeds start to die. :biggrin:
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 10:57 AM

I have crazy gophers in the desert. Traps are the only thing. The water theory only changed the small gopher holes into gopher highways. traps - instant gratification. I like the king snake idea though.

yuletide
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 11:26 AM

The movie "Caddy Shack" shows several fool proof ways for getting rid of gophers.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.