Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  35
Author: Subject: To Doug"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Thor, Apollo, Zeus, Hera, et al....all archetypal aspects of the one Mystery...which is also us...too. Calling them "imaginary" might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

ancient greeks had the best gods. christianity and islam have the boring gods. how dull to believe in the christian and islam gods. so many god constructs over time, so many interesting ones to choose from. my favorite:

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 10:28 AM

Couldn't agree more goat!! People should go back to worshipping the much more interesting gods invented by the Greeks. Plus that would ease the backlog on the god of abraham, who has become so bogged down with influencing the results of sports events and TV reality shows that he/she can't pay proper attention to the important problems facing society like hunger, genocide, racism, child rape by priests, stuff like that. Let's hear it for Zeus!!!

carpe diem!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 10:34 AM

i'll go with the horny toad. only a true god can squirt blood from his eyes!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 10:39 AM

willardguy, Nice horny toad picture!:yes:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:18 AM

What? Isn't there anyone out there willing to speak up for your faith?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

"Faith" is a very personal thing. Why air it in public?

Barry
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Who knows? As long as someone's not trying to convince or force me to accept their belief system, they can worship horny toads as far as I care. My guess is as good as anyones. If you look at all the major religions in a totally objective manner they all have some weird aspects.:biggrin:

Yep! That is the point! Thanks, Cypress.
I can neither confirm nor deny. Just don't (anyone) lay your dogma on me. When I am curious and seeking, don't call me. I'll call you, or will communicate directly with my muses. And keep it out of politics and government. And it is especially criminal to lay it on children. :fire:

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

Barry

Exactly. And because it's a personal thing it shouldn't be dissed publicly.

My father in law told me of a beautiful church interior he was photographing. He'd wind his way among worshippers snapping pictures of what he thought were exceptional objects. Eventually someone came up to him:

"What are you doing? To you these are paintings but to us these are objects of worship."

It's been many years now since he told me. Can't remember if it was paintings, carvings, or statues. I believe this was in the Holy Land.

[Edited on 6-9-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Exactly. And because it's a personal thing it shouldn't be dissed publicly.

When a large religous institution turns out to be an international haven for pedophiles it deserves all the public "dissing" it gets.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:41 AM

As said earlier: "don't throw the baby out with the water".

The Catholic Church is not about pedophilism. Neither is Penn State, for that matter.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
The Catholic Church is not about pedophilism. Neither is Penn State, for that matter.

Agree! There're "bad eggs" in every organization.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Barry

I hope "personal" doesn't mean "secret." That would make it creepy.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:54 AM

The fundamentilista Muslems are gonna explode this thread any minute now. Time to take refuge at Sharky's.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
As said earlier: "don't throw the baby out with the water".

And yet they both tolerated it. I have zero tolerence for anyone or any organization that abuses children or tolerates such abuse. Especially those who then attempt to cover it up or who do nothing about it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
And yet they both tolerated it.

Tolerance was given by people.....not the church. It's the people who are guilty....not the institutions.
Purge the sinners for their sins. Don't burn down the house in which they live and hide.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 12:10 PM

I have no dog in this fight, but from the character of the last few posts on this thread...it sure seems like chastising Christians 'back in the day'...is getting popular again.

Quiz:
How many Nomads can fit into the Coliseum?

I might be religious....why?... for sure the Devil made me do it.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Penis Idolatry. I never knew what historically [and for some, currently] motivated the Italians .
Too bad Roberto has been bannished...cast out....discarded and sent away. We could get his deep insight into this issue.

KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 12:28 PM

Roger,
I believe people have the right to worship whatever gods they choose. My point is that for an authority figure of any sort, but especially one entrusted with the moral guidance of the young, to mistreat or abuse those entrusted to them is indefensible.
Kurt

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I have no dog in this fight, but from the character of the last few posts on this thread...it sure seems like chastising Christians 'back in the day'...is getting popular again.

Quiz:
How many Nomads can fit into the Coliseum?

I might be religious....why?... for sure the Devil made me do it.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
[
Penis Idolatry. I never knew what historically [and for some, currently] motivated the Italians .
Too bad Roberto has been bannished...cast out....discarded and sent away. We could get his deep insight into this issue.

Money, Dennis...state and religion were intertwined in Rome. Rome was very religiously tolerant (you could worship whoever you wanted) so long as you paid at least minor tribute to the 'gods of the state.'

Christians refused to do such (because God said you can only worship one god).

Christianity challenged a man's role as supreme head of the family through their condemnation of infanticide.

Christianity also taught women that they were in charge of their own souls and that they could escape miserable marriages by pledging their bodies to God.

Christanity was radically liberal in the eyes of the Romans...oddly ironic concept for our pc culture today, huh?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Barry "faith" is belief without evidence. Criticism of "faith" must be aired in public. Religion is the most dangerous thing in the world today, at the heart of virtually every major atrocity, genocide, cruelty and conflict from the Inquisition to 9/11. Now that nuclear weapons are available to the truly religious, the future of civilization is at stake.

Religion should be subjected to the same open, public criticisms imposed upon all other areas of human existence, like science, politics, economics, and law. The historical prohibition of criticizing religion must end.

I hear religious people say that religion is necessary for morality. However I have never noticed any relationship between religion and morality. Certainly there is a relationship between religion and immorality. If there is any morality in religion, it is brought there by people. The reverse is not true. One need look no further than the institutionalized child rape of the Catholic church to realize that there is no inherent morality in religion. The list of church leaders exposed as hypocrites and criminals goes on and on. Prisons are full of not only religious people, but religious leaders.

So I am appalled when people support religious institutions by saying something like "don't throw out the baby with the bath water". If religion is "the baby" it NEEDS to go with the bath water. Good people do good things in spite of religion, not because of it. Bad people do bad things with or without religion. The only established relationship between behavior and religion is that religion is normally required to make good people do bad things.

carpe diem!
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.