BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Have to disconnect to load a page-- OK now, I hope!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 05:16 PM
Have to disconnect to load a page-- OK now, I hope!

Help --- this is crazy. I am using the amazingly slow Banda Ancha that connects and disconnects often, but this is a new problem.

I open Nomads to the forums page, the header appears and then the rest of the page will not show until I disconnect. Then I connect to go to another page, like Today's post. Same thing happens --- only the header shows until I disconnect. Again, same thing if I open a thread. Only the header shows until I disconnect.

Somehow it is hanging up. At the bottom I get the following message

waiting for pagead2.googlesyndication.com and there it stops until I disconnect?????

Any suggestions? That is if I will ever be able to read them. THANKS

[Edited on 6-4-2012 by DianaT]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 05:19 PM

Oh, it happened when I posted this --- I would have edited, but it would take longer. And this is the only webpage where I am having this difficulty and I have tried 3 different browers!

Now I will hit the post reply button, the header will show and I will have to disconnect and reconnect to see this post????

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 05:40 PM

See if you can get this loaded and working:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 05:41 PM
what no computer techs around here?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 06:42 PM

Yes Dennis, that loaded rather quickly and it started testing until my computer connection disconnected on its own.

This Banda Ancha is as bad as the old dial-up as far as speed goes, but it works if one is patient----except for the nomad site.

Nomads worked before today and it does not matter if I wait 1/2 hour or more -- it only loads as I disconnect it.

Just to read this, I had to connect, go to the Nomads Forum site, disconnect for it to load, click on this thread, disconnect for it to load, and now I will post the reply and have to disconnect to see the reply..

It just hangs up at that point with the message on the bottom I wrote before.

Thanks for the help. Any more ideas?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 06:48 PM

OMG --- suddenly it is working now! It must be those cyberspace aliens fooling around!

Banda Ancha is better than nothing, but at times, not much better.

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 08:22 PM

Sun Spots, that is a radio tech excuse for everything. JH:biggrin:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 08:26 PM
sunspot

Hola ,as a radio geek thats funny :lol::lol::lol:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
waiting for pagead2.googlesyndication.com and there it stops until I disconnect?????

Any suggestions? That is if I will ever be able to read them. THANKS

I'd guess it's waiting for the google ad server to respond and place the ad at the top beneath the nav bar and the server is not responding quick enough.

I use a hosts file to block that and many other ad servers. They really gum up the works and it's painful on a slow connection. The hosts file blocks the outgoing request to the ad server to supply the banner ad made by the web page when it is loading.

click here for info

[Edited on 6-4-2012 by SFandH]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 09:04 PM

SFandH ... good call ... :):)

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic
Sun Spots, that is a radio tech excuse for everything. JH:biggrin:

Yes, yes, and I just know those Sun Spots were created by those aliens that I know control everything. :biggrin:

SFandH --- thanks and I will check that out. This connection is usually really slow---
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 10:17 PM

Diana...what a mess that must have been ..... good that it eventually worked itself out 'cause what a nightmare to close and open and close and open again.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 07:04 AM

Good luck with the hosts file. I found one on the Inet with an extensive list of servers to block; ad servers, twitter, facebook, and many, many others. There's all sorts of stuff from other servers that webmasters use to compose a page that I find useless and slows the page load. A good hosts file makes a noticeable difference on slow connections.

[Edited on 6-4-2012 by SFandH]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 09:21 AM

Diana,

I often go to taskmanager to see what's going on.

Go to the Performance tab and...

1. look at the Cpu Usage History graph. When a system isn't being used this should always < 20%.
2. look below at available physical memory and make sure it a good fraction of the total available memory

Go to Process tab and ...
1. if cpu utilization was high then sort by cpu and find the process. It's usually one of the IE processes. I then kill it.
2. if memory was high then sort by Mem Usage and do the same for a really big one, say 500K which I have now.

Facebook can drain your system because, I think, it's continually active, even when nothing is occuring. That is it's polling for any changes by all of your 300+ friends.

Youtube processes seem to often grow to a very large size. I guess video streaming requires a lot of memory. And the process grows and grows as you look at more videos. I guess not all memory is released.

None of this describes why a disconnect would help that you experienced. But these problems arise so often that I thought I would mention them. Thinking that perhaps many are simply rebooting their computer to solve their problems.

P.S. killing an iexplorer.exe process has no bad side effects on the system.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.