Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Carrying Spare Fuel in Baja
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
If it is illegal to bring full jerry cans across the border, what do they do to you if they find some?

I would suspect that they would not pour it down the drain....but who knows.
Since I usually top off at the last station on the US side, there is no way I could use it.....So do they take if for 'evidence' when they take you to court. do you pay mordida?

I have never been questioned about it, and never knew it was illegal.

Brooks, they will put you right into the line going back into the U.S.!!!

This happened to 4baja's friends who parked at a San Ysidro gas station giving away all of it (or selling cheaply) with the attendant's permission... who told them it happened before! I heard the story from them at L.A. Bay.

I will repeat GAS is CHEAPER in Baja than here, so why do it? It is 87 octane, not NOVA anymore... if you remember that stuff (79-81 octane) that had us using octane booster or retarding the timing.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 07:18 PM

wow! well, maybe i will go back to carrying them in empty and filling them later-hate to ruin a trip by having to u-turn it back stateside before ever getting into TJ....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 01:56 PM

I've been in the customs office in Mexicali and seen the customs take 3 5 gal cans of gasoline from another truck entering mexico. He put a much in his tank as possible but had to leave the rest. By the book, the add-on tanks are also not legal but havent seen anyone bothered with them.

Davis's point about it being cheeper in Mex is valid. So why take the chance?

I drive a diesel p/u and fuel is $1.00 cheaper per gallon in Meico than where I just got some in the central valley of Calif.

Baja Cactus showed diesel at 1.63 in Mex, Calif I paid 2.68 and it's still rising.

[Edited on 10-13-2004 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 02:14 PM

DK--Nova gasoline! On a trip to Santa Rosalillita in 1983 there was no unleaded fuel on the peninsula so I had to forfeit my catalytic converter on my 76 Toyota P/U and use Nova to get back home---25 cents a gallon on that trip and we were getting Corona for $2.38 a case! Truck pinged a little on the steep grades but not really too bad. For a five day trip my cousin Kevin and I spent $68.00 including gas, food, insurance, and lots of beer.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 05:42 PM

yeah, i remember always having containers of fuel additive in my vehicle for those baja runs-no mas!!i swear i get better mileage from the pemex fuel vs us stuff....
bcofre

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 10:31 PM
Extra Fuel

Quote:
Check out NATO style cans, they do not leak (web search for "NATO jerry cans")

Here is a mounting suggestion :

Extra Fuel: Use a rear Hitch Carrier or, roof mounted or have an additional fuel tank installed.
By the way of fuel, anyone going to Mexico if using Gas should take a generous supply of Octane Boosters!!! And if feasible, install an extra inline fuel filter. Very important.
What's best, anyone intending to be i Mexico for any length of time or being there, should prefer vehicles running on Diesel Fuel. Diesel Fuel is cheaper, engines last longer and repairing Diesels in Mexico is not a problem.
bcofre

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 10:38 PM
Extra Fuel

Quote:
Check out NATO style cans, they do not leak (web search for "NATO jerry cans")

Here is a mounting suggestion :

Extra Fuel: Use a rear Hitch Carrier or, roof mounted or have an additional fuel tank installed.
By the way of fuel, anyone going to Mexico if using Gas should take a generous supply of Octane Boosters!!! And if feasible, install an extra inline fuel filter. Very important.
What's best, anyone intending to be i Mexico for any length of time or being there, should prefer vehicles running on Diesel Fuel. Diesel Fuel is cheaper, engines last longer and repairing Diesels in Mexico is not a problem.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2004 at 08:19 AM
If repairing deisels in Mexico

isn't a problem, could you recommend places that work on them ?
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2004 at 06:41 PM

When I used to drive my ford van I would get a clogged fuel filter every time I drove to the cape or any other great distance down there. And it was a b-tch to change, screwed right into the carburator where it was hard to get to. All the while I'd mumble about the crappy Mexican gas. Finally I got an in-line filter which was easier to change, but I had to change it often anyway...crappy gas!!!
One day, however it hit me. A two thousand + mile trip over many bumpy washboard roads, and older van with a dirty gas tank, rusty sediment in the bottom that gets stirred up when I fly the washboard.....hmmmm....maybe not the gas after all.....Crappy ford!, Lousy gas tank!!!!:lol:

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2004 at 07:55 PM

El Jefe, I think you have found most of the problems with the Mexican fuel - the tank it goes in. Only time I ever got bad fuel was at Bajia Tortuga Pemex 5 minutes after they dumped a load of gas into the tank. Twenty min. later the gas came out fine.

And Diesel is now more than $1.00 cheeper in Mexico than anyhwhere I went last week from El Centro to Fresno. And I think it runs as good or better than the US stuff.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.