Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Deer Hunting In Baja?
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 10-12-2004 at 06:24 AM
Deer Hunting In Baja?

Anybody have any info on Deer hunting in BCS? I know all about the laws governing firearms, but I'm curious about the laws re: Bowhunting in Baja.
I never thought much about it before, but I almost hit a good-sized buck while heading back to the house after surfing one night last fall.
Just about every ranchero I know has a small rifle (a .22 or sometimes a .410) in the house somewhere, but they all say they mostly use them for rabbit or that they haven't been fired in years.
Any help would be greatly appreciated; backstraps or rib roast anyone???
Thanks! Cameron
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 06:57 AM

fishing rich hunts the la paz area and hes the one to talk to. he will probably reply.:coolup:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2004 at 11:34 AM

You need a permit for deer hunting, the feds look the other way when it comes to locals hunting, but wont if they catch a foreigner doing it. Same goes for locals having .22's, the military looks the other way but will enforce the law if they catch a non local.

fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 12:38 PM
bow hunting

cameron---I just returned this morning from 18 days in texas and louisana where bow season opened the 1st of the month. So many deer in south texas that the limit is six. A bow hunters paradise. But sorry BCS is not as blessed. There is no deer hunting anywhere in baja for those of us north of the border. Rabbit, quail, dove and duck are OK to shoot in season with the proper paperwork. fishin rich
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 01:16 PM

http://www.elfuerte.com/bighorn/index.htm

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 04:08 PM

Well, the Borregos (big horn sheep) are up there! This was found in Parral Canyon, southwest of San Felipe...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 04:14 PM

Good picture David - I remember that day fondly - wish I had found it.

I have one on my patio I found in the Sierra San Felipe about 1/2 mile south of Zoo road.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 04:28 PM

I wasn't mentioning any names in case there is something illegal about possesing bones of protected animals... I didn't know who found it or kept it. It sure was fascinating to see! That was just after I met this a red diamondback...

[Edited on 10-17-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 04:33 PM

http://www.elfuerte.com/bighorn/index.htm

I have nothing against hunting but why do these people feel the need to hunt bighorn, of which there seem to be fewer and fewer every year, to complete their "grand slams"?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 06:07 PM

This is from the web site
http://www.elfuerte.com/bighorn/conservation.htm

"This Conservation Program was put into effect as an attempt to protect and increase the population of Weemsi desert bighorn sheep in Southern Baja California. Prior to this program, the Mexican Government held a draw every year for as many permits as they deemed reasonable. After bringing in biologists and wildlife experts, the Government realized that they needed a controlled conservation effort to keep this subspecies from dying out completely. The resulting program, "Proyecto para la Conservacion, Manejo Y Aprovechamiento Sustentable del Borrego Cimarron en Mexico" , involves the local peoples who own the land that the animals live on."

(These people are organized into groups by their land rights. They are called Ejido's and are run similarly to the American Indian reservations.) They are mostly ranchers and farmers with meager incomes and have been living off the meat of the bighorn on their lands for centuries. To give these people a reason to not only to stop killing these animals for food, but to actually attempt to protect them and manage them, the Government had to come up with a way to pay them. This program provides that.

These local peoples who have been hunting and killing these animals for their entire lives are now given an opportunity to do so for profit. These are the ones who will be guiding your hunt, setting up your camps, and preparing your meals. Centuries of hunting these terrains is what makes these men the best experts you will find anywhere.

The monies raised from the sale of the permits will cover the costs of the 10 day camp, food and drinks, transport, etc., pay for the yearly aerial census, as well as provide these jobs for the locals who are now protecting, managing, recording, supporting the growth of, and conducting the hunts for the desert bighorn sheep in their areas.

The number of permits sold to these local peoples will be determined by the number of mature rams that have been officially recorded by aerial census each year.

When you purchase a permit to shoot a trophy bighorn in Southern Baja, you are also contributing to the future of these beautiful animals and ensuring future bighorn hunts for years to come."

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 07:04 PM
Or even better,

you could go with me on one of my trips, to the same areas, and do your shootin with a camera rather than killing stuff.
Probably see quite a bit more than animals too!:light:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 10:11 PM

Elgatoloco--I read that too.....I wonder who does the aerial census? I hope its all legit and that its working...but I'll still join jrbaja and hunt them with my camera.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2004 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

...... I hope its all legit and that its working...but I'll still join jrbaja and hunt them with my camera.

Roger that
over
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 08:07 AM
I originally liked the idea

of guided hunting trips because of the $40,000 price tag to help the local people.
Until I spent a lot of time in the mountains. There just plain old aren't enough Bighorns left to justify shooting them at any price !
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2004 at 08:29 AM

Exactly!
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 03:52 AM
Deer Hunting in BCS...

Quote:
Originally posted by fishinrich
cameron---I just returned this morning from 18 days in texas and louisana where bow season opened the 1st of the month. So many deer in south texas that the limit is six. A bow hunters paradise. But sorry BCS is not as blessed. There is no deer hunting anywhere in baja for those of us north of the border. Rabbit, quail, dove and duck are OK to shoot in season with the proper paperwork. fishin rich

Hey Rich!
By "..No hunting for us.." do you mean none at all, or just none with firearms? Does it matter if I've got an FM3 as opposed to being in on a Tourist Visa? I'm not interested in taking a trophy Ram, just thinking there's probably a very healthy Deer population and hungry for some Venison.
I knew about the $40k trophy hunts already, and based on that, kind of figured there had to be a legal way to hunt Deer in Baja without firearms.
Please give me a shout if you hear any more, or if you've got any ideas on where to turn for more "Official" info.
Thanks!... Cameron
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 05:14 AM
bow hunting

Cameron----As far as bow hunting goes I really do not know the law. When I lived in buena vista full time for three years I had all the possession, tranportation and ammo permits along with licences to hunt various game birds with shotguns or 22's. At that time (two years ago) deer hunting was not allowed and now the hunting laws have become very tough so that even bird hunting is no longer just a walk up any arroyo you choose. I know over in sonora they have mule deer hunts and the permit runs around $2000US. Try contacting, wildlife advisory services---213-385-9311, mexicoadvisoryservices.com Good luck and let me know what you dig up---fishin rich
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 09:32 AM
Antlers

David, remember someone of our group found some parts of deer antlers in the corral where we camped on the trip that that ram's skul was found.

I know a doctor in town that said he used to hunt deer in that general part of the country, but no more as they just arn't there now.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 08:45 PM
It's called "culling"

Old Rams that cannot reproduce any longer due to the younger rams being more agressive ,therefore making the whole flock(?) stronger. This is not a feat for the faint of heart as you will be hiking up and down several thousands of feet and one cannot shoot just any bighorn that is sighted.It is very regulated and legal.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
David, remember someone of our group found some parts of deer antlers in the corral where we camped on the trip that that ram's skul was found.

I know a doctor in town that said he used to hunt deer in that general part of the country, but no more as they just arn't there now.

Yes Lou, I recall the deer bones...

Of interest to this thread is that I know the (new) owner of Rancho Matomi, a fellow named Julio I chat with on occaision. He and his wife went there and fell in love with the place. They are people from Mexicali who also own Rancho Cimarron near Laguna Hanson... a guest ranch. I have learned that Julio is a well known taxidermist and hunter... Matomi is in Bighorn country, just 3-4 miles south of Parral where the above pictured skull was found.

Julio has invited me to have a Viva Baja party at his Rancho Cimarron... seems like a nice guy... speaks just a little English, so I chat with him primarily in Spanish.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.