Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Car camping in Summer
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 05:22 PM
Car camping in Summer

So now that school is out for summer, I was thinking about taking the fam camping. The question is where?? Normally I hit Baja spots in May or Oct. Late June/July is another ball game. I was thinking of San Pedro de Martir, but I would like to include something that has some water. I imagine the Cortez side is way too hot for comfort, and I really don't know to many good spots on the Pacific side.

Anyone have suggestions?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 05:26 PM

I have camped along Shell Island in the summer, and the sunlight was very intense. The Sierra de San Pedro Martir is probably the best option for summertime. My only dislike was the tiny gnats that proliferate in that mountain region.

On a side note, I vacationed at a Lakeside cabin in Finland during July and the Mosquitoes were NONSTOP! I had to wear sweatpants, a hoodie, and cover my clothing in insect repellant!

Baja is more enjoyable and economical.:yes:

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 06:33 PM
summer camping

HOLA,I would recomend say; Alaska,B.C, washington,orgeon, and northern cal are all awsome in the summers !!!! K & T :cool:
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 07:05 PM

Look north of Punta Colonet and south of Punta San Jose. You'll find everything there. San Dunes, Cliffs, Sandy or Rock Beaches. Some good Surf fishing too. About 2 or 4 hours of the boarder. The water will be colder then So. Cal. The road along the coast is pretty good except from Johnson Ranch to Erendura take the inland route. Score racers have rutted up the coast. Have a killer family vacation.
MMc

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 08:15 PM

There's beach camping all over the place, east and west coasts. The weather contrasts dramatically, east and west, from "waaaay hot but the water is exquisite" to "wow its windy and cold".

Central Baja West Coast: Shari's campground in Bahia Asuncion is great in summer as is camping in San Juanico. I'm sure they're other spots you'll enjoy. Plan on shorts and jacket for cool and warm weather and wind.

Central Baja East Coast: The Bay of Conception is hot and humid and getting more intense. The water is getting warmer and is absolutely wonderful; in full-on summer the bay water surface temp is consistently 96F in the daytime according to my dive computer. Some tourists were so happy the other evening. They said it felt like a jacuzzi when they finished their dip out by the lighthouse in Mulege. They were just in time to dry off and have drinks and dinner at nearby El Patron's Restaurant.

I was in town today and saw a jeep with a kayak on top pulling a cute, tiny little teardrop trailer. They were probably headed for the bay and I heard myself say quietly out loud to nobody in particular as they passed by, "That little trailer is gorgeous but you're not going to be sleeping inside."

Too hot for a trailer unless you have a power inverter and a good fan. Plan to sleep outdoors or preferably in a screen room. Some people are bothered by mosquitos or other little bitey things. It does cool down at night and you'll be comfy outside or indoors with a big fan. The days will be long and hot and you'll want to be in the water, so slather on the waterproof sunscreen and wear a lightweight shirt even in the water.

I'm sure there are plenty other spots east, west and in between others will tell us about. Me, one of these days I want to see San Pedro Martir and Agua Verde.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 08:48 PM
BAJA IS NOT A SUMMER HANGOUT

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA,I would recomend say; Alaska,B.C, washington,orgeon, and northern cal are all awsome in the summers !!!! K & T :cool:
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 10:06 PM

Quote:

I would love to check out some of those places, but the US isn't an option.
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 10:18 PM

When my kids were young the only time everyone was off at the same time was August, so that's when the Baja vacation was. Many times we would start with a week of camping at Morro Santo Domingo, a little north of Guerrero Negro. It was a great place for the kids, excellent shore fishing, not too hot during the day, cool at night. We didn't have a lot of toys back then, but it would be an awesome spot with a couple of kayaks or an inflatable.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
Quote:

I would love to check out some of those places, but the US isn't an option.

Plus it's overpriced.

From expensive Family restaurants (Denny's, COCO's, IHOP) to Gasoline - $3.75/gallon to Lodging - $80/night and up. Baja is the low-cost option for my Wife and I that it was for my Parents when they wanted/needed a low-cost getaway back in the 70s and early 80s.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffg
When my kids were young the only time everyone was off at the same time was August, so that's when the Baja vacation was. Many times we would start with a week of camping at Morro Santo Domingo, a little north of Guerrero Negro. It was a great place for the kids, excellent shore fishing, not too hot during the day, cool at night. We didn't have a lot of toys back then, but it would be an awesome spot with a couple of kayaks or an inflatable.

go towards the beach at the checkpoint at tomatal until you hit the coast road. head left from there and there are numerous cool areas to camp.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 07:49 AM

Captkw...I beg to differ about baja in the summer...here on the pacside, it is wonderful!!!!!! not too hot and great sandy beaches for family camping. Lots of families like it here in Asuncion cause there is alot to do for the kids...long pristine beaches, shore fishing, kids to play with, food close by, internet etc. and you can sleep outside! There are dozens of amazing beaches in central pacific side...the kids might like Laguna Manuela too...all great summer camping spots.

We just got back from a mini getaway to playa Tomatal which is my favorite beach combing beach...and Rosalillita and the Wall....I'll post pics soon.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Captkw...I beg to differ about baja in the summer...here on the pacside, it is wonderful!!!!!! not too hot and great sandy beaches for family camping. Lots of families like it here in Asuncion cause there is alot to do for the kids...long pristine beaches, shore fishing, kids to play with, food close by, internet etc. and you can sleep outside! There are dozens of amazing beaches in central pacific side...the kids might like Laguna Manuela too...all great summer camping spots.

We just got back from a mini getaway to playa Tomatal which is my favorite beach combing beach...and Rosalillita and the Wall....I'll post pics soon.

So true!

BUT, we (Baja Angel & I) love the heat of summer on the Sea of Cortez side, too... the sea water is warm and lovely to be in all day and all night! In Baja CA Sur, it is humid in the summer, and camping (sleeping) can be an issue when it is warm and humid at night. The warm water makes it worth it, however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:08 AM

I vote for the west coast of Baja this time of year. I swung into Mulege last July for a 3 day stay but ended up leaving after 1 day from heat and humidity complications. Just my preference......I know some people love the heat though......

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:11 AM
baja summer

Hola,myself like the summers farther north with the lakes,rivers,waterfalls and swiming in warm fresh water !! and grabing crawdads by hand without a mask..and the ladies an the rocks sunning !! its a nice chunk of spinning rock..and enjoy it no matter where your at this summer !! Life is a short ride,,might as well have fun while your here!! K & T :cool:
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:33 AM
it is not on the Pacific side

Quote:
Quote:

I totally disagree with this statement, yes on the Cortez side its hotter than heck,, but the Pacific side is really very nice
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:35 AM
what a minute

you disagree that I like the northern latatudes in the summer???
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:53 AM

I'm with Shari here - I beg to differ with captkw too. The Pacific side in the summer is gorgeous! We are due west of La Paz on the Pacific and love it all year round, but especially in the summer. It's not too hot or humid or windy. There are those who thrive on the heat and humidity of the Sea of Cortez in the summer, but I am not one of them. My first trip to Baja was camping in July on one of the beaches near Loreto - never again! The windy time here on this part of the Pacific coast is February/March, not summer time. In summer the breeze off of the ocean keeps the heat down and all you need are a couple of fans - no need for air-conditioning.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 09:03 AM
each to there own

I have been a travelen fool for around 35 years alaska to panama with island's tossed in and I dont mean for a week or so..more like 3,4,5 month trips.. I'm from the school of we each like are own things/places/weather !! myself am happy were Im at right now..but I could just as well be fishing on a river in alaska watching the salmon and a few bears!! I,myself like baja in the winter and go north like the sun..if all of us only did baja in nthe summer.would that be good??????? K& T
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 09:35 AM

Totally agree captkw...to each his/her own... just wanted to be clear that summer is very different in different parts of Baja.

I do envy you your time in Alaska - I was there for a short family reunion trip a couple of years ago and loved it - was fortunate enough to be able to go to Denali and was blown away by the absolutely awesome stunning panoramas.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 09:39 AM
each to to there own

HOLA,my land lord is leaving alsaka for her first time on the 28th and I'm going to sneak into her suitcase,,but the damn fishingpole wont fit :lol: K&T

[Edited on 6-26-2012 by captkw]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.