Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Lean and Spicy Chorizo
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:05 PM
Lean and Spicy Chorizo

I love chorizo, but it is usually so full of fat and greasy that I cannot eat it any more. Well this weekend at my sister's home in Vicente Guerrero we ate this chorizo scrambled with eggs and LOVED it. The recipe comes from a friend who also lives in Vicente Guerrero. They have a really good meat market there --- I forget the name.

2lbs of lean ground pork --- emphasis on lean ---best to pick out the lean pork and have it ground
1/2 cup of boiling water
3 large mild dried red chiles
4 small dried chile de arbol --- more or less according to desired spicy. My sister made it more spicy and we loved it
8 cloves of minced garlic
2 Tablespoons dry Mexican oregano leaves
1 Tablespoon salt---- mas o menos
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground pepper --- man o menos
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons tequila, optional

1. Break up the chiles and pour the boiling water over them to re-hydrate.

2. Place the re-hydrated chiles together with the liquid into a food processor, or a blender. Add the garlic, oregano, cumin, pepper, sugar, vinegar, and salt and blend until smooth.

3. Mix the ground pork and liquid mixture together with a study electric mixer or what ever works --- mix until smooth

4. Put into a sealed container for a couple of days to let the flavors meld. Then divide into smaller portions in freezer bags and freeze.

My sister cooked it with some eggs and onions and it was wonderful and NO GREASE.

We will be making some to freeze and take with us to BA ---

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:07 PM

sounds great! i really love a dried chorizo the best.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:12 PM
chorizo

I agree..alot of it is waayy too much grasa...but when you find the lean stuff...(heaven) I return (fast) and get while its there and let the store clerk know thats its a good batch !!K&T :cool:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:19 PM

Do you guys have Kowi stores over there? They are a really high end purveyor of pork; from their own "herds" to their own stores. Great boneless pork tenderloins, great ribs.

We've gone over to the soy chorizo because of the fat content and the occasional chewies in pork chorizo.

The recipe sounds great.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Do you guys have Kowi stores over there? They are a really high end purveyor of pork; from their own "herds" to their own stores. Great boneless pork tenderloins, great ribs.

We've gone over to the soy chorizo because of the fat content and the occasional chewies in pork chorizo.

The recipe sounds great.

I don't know about the stores, but for Bahia Asuncion, we will bring our pork from the US.

Soy chorizo? Now I really would love to see a good recipe for that!

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:47 PM

I love chorizo of any kind, pork, beef or soy. Don't eat it too often though, mostly in Baja, once in awhile at home or out to breakfast. I've never thought of making my own but I will now, thanks Diana! I also love the hard chorizo from Spain. I use that for an hors d'oeuvre like I would salami, it's good with wine, and add it to stuffing, soup or just about anything to add flavor.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I've never thought of making my own but I will now, thanks Diana!

It really is great and without all that fat and grease!

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 10:09 PM

I'm liking the soy chorizo lately. No drippy, nasty grease. No animals harmed in the process.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 10:12 PM

hey wasn't one of you asuncion girls talking about cookin up some chorizo using abalone???? how did that work out?
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 06:08 AM

The two best uses we've found for the chorizo seco: split pea soup and on pizza.

Soy chorizo is EVERYWHERE now in Mexico, Dianne. Sold right next to the pork based stuff. We use it almost exclusively in scrambled eggs and I swear it's indistinguishable in flavor from the real stuff.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
hey wasn't one of you asuncion girls talking about cookin up some chorizo using abalone???? how did that work out?

there is a wicked version of caracole chorizo i can attest to!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 06:18 AM

Mmmm, chorizo de soya. Tasty, healthy, humane food. We use it in our spaghetti sauce.

Chorizo made from dead animals? Offal "food".

[Edited on 6-27-2012 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
I love chorizo of any kind, pork, beef or soy. Don't eat it too often though, mostly in Baja, once in awhile at home or out to breakfast. I've never thought of making my own but I will now, thanks Diana! I also love the hard chorizo from Spain. I use that for an hors d'oeuvre like I would salami, it's good with wine, and add it to stuffing, soup or just about anything to add flavor.

Is the hard chorizo the same as linguica? We had BBQ linguica for appetizers before the main course of tri-tip last weekend :tumble: yum
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Soy chorizo is EVERYWHERE now in Mexico, Dianne. Sold right next to the pork based stuff. We use it almost exclusively in scrambled eggs and I swear it's indistinguishable in flavor from the real stuff.

I agree. I think it's the only soy product I've tried that actually tastes exactly like the real thing it's supposed to taste like. Although a friend in Ensenada that had a small sausage company told me a lot of the soy chorizos have pork fat in them. That must have been 8 years ago so maybe thats not true now but if your looking to stay away from meat then ask. Trader Joes has soy chorizo.

[Edited on 6-27-2012 by goldhuntress]
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:

Is the hard chorizo the same as linguica? We had BBQ linguica for appetizers before the main course of tri-tip last weekend :tumble: yum

Linguica, the Portuguese chorizo, lol. I love that too. I guess I like sausage in general. But the chorizo from Spain you don't cook, it's like salami but leaner. I buy it at a wine and cheese shop here in SLO.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 08:26 AM

we love Chorizo also and I agree that it can be way to greasy

but we have found that Fry's Grocery store here in Yuma
has fresh Chorizo that they make, both beef and pork that is very lean, it is really good
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
The two best uses we've found for the chorizo seco: split pea soup and on pizza.

Guess we need to look for it in the big city ---- found a few recipes for the soy chorizo and I am looking forward to trying them. If we wanted to make it in BA, we would have to bring the tofu.

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for the recipe, Diane. Sounds good. I like to eat healthy and also I love chorizo.
The thought of soy chorizo makes me shudder, so I am especially eager to try your suggestion.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 04:26 PM

I dont think soy chorizo is made with tofu. It seems like its just some kind of soy meal.

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
I dont think soy chorizo is made with tofu. It seems like its just some kind of soy meal.
I believe this is the stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.