Author: Subject: would YOU eat this?
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brinloor
Quote:
Originally posted by shari
edm...aha! Ok then...let's hear how you prepare it por favor...it's not too bad in a stew type thing but seems rather tasteless to me...give me a calico eye anytime!

Shari strip out the 4 lengths of white muscle meat just under the skin, stir fry in butter and garlic. Tender and delicious. I think the entire animal dried then reconstituted for soup is an acquired Oriental taste.

The wife's recipe is simple. Skin it, gut it, pick the tender sections, Rub them in generous supply of salt, wash them off, pour boiling water for half a minute, dice them to 1 inch by half inch, vinegar, chopped tomatoes and onions, salt, pepper . . . A few bottles of Pacifico, yum!!!

[Edited on 7-6-2012 by edm1]

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 06:05 PM

Edm...i gather that you cook it before you skin it eh. how long...boiled?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2012 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Edm...i gather that you cook it before you skin it eh. how long...boiled?

No cooking, preferably live sea cucumbers, rawish. It's sea cucumber salad. The half-minute douse of boiled water is it. And I stand corrected, the wife says lime, not vinegar. What do I know:-)

[Edited on 7-6-2012 by edm1]

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 07:37 AM

so you skin it before you pour the boiling water over it? I have a hard time figuring out how to skin the slippery, slimy little booger...do you cut it in half lengthwise and sort of cut the skin off like a fish? I'm gonna get one and try this because I simply cant imagine any seafood I dont like...even better if I can eat it raw.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
so you skin it before you pour the boiling water over it? I have a hard time figuring out how to skin the slippery, slimy little booger...do you cut it in half lengthwise and sort of cut the skin off like a fish? I'm gonna get one and try this because I simply cant imagine any seafood I dont like...even better if I can eat it raw.

Skin it the same way you do a Geoduck clam:

Bob Durrell
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 11:54 AM

bob...have you ever handled or skinned a fresh sea cucumber? they arent like a geoduck...they are more gooey and just splish n gloop in your hands...just wondering...if the answer is yes...then I'll have to try it again...thanks for your input and photo

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 12:12 PM

I'm waiting for Shari's verdict on these sea cucumbers. Anybody that enjoys fish eyeballs has a taste for seafood.:biggrin: The eyeballs of most of the fish I catch aren't worth digging out and eating, way smaller than grapes.:biggrin:
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 01:09 PM

I'm waiting to try jellyfish...does anyone know if the ones I posted a photo of are OK to munch on? I did only see one seagull picking at one so I'm a little leary...if I see birds or animals eating something, I'll usually try it...I'll try most anything once!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting to try jellyfish...does anyone know if the ones I posted a photo of are OK to munch on? I did only see one seagull picking at one so I'm a little leary...if I see birds or animals eating something, I'll usually try it...I'll try most anything once!

I have no idea of what the Korean jelly fish that I was served in a Chinese restaurant there looked like before it was put on my plate. It was just cut in strips like bacon and served with seaweed and a mystery dipping sauce to dip it in. A real b*#*h to pick up with chop sticks :o:o
The one in your picture is a Cannonball jellyfish:
Unlike typical jellyfish the cannonball is a strong swimmer with a compact, solid body and few stinging tentacles. The Latin name for the cannonball, Stomolophus meleagris, is very descriptive of its lifestyle and means "many mouthed hunter." The cannonball feeds and swims by pumping water with a gelatinous bell over the sticky folds of its arms trapping larval stages of oysters, clams, and a variety of crustaceans. This sticky mucus is passed to numerous openings among the arms that lead to its mouth. It is abundant along Florida's northern Gulf of Mexico and off the northern Atlantic Coast, occurring in groups of millions.

The cannonball has great potential value as a food item in the world market. The most important fact about the protein in the cannonball jellyfish is the collagen it contains. Our bodies need collagen to build cell tissue, cartilage, teeth and bones. Scientific research continues on collagen and its medical potential. For over a thousand years, Asians have been eating jellyfish for medicinal reasons to treat high blood pressure, arthritis, bronchitis and other diseases. The cannonball jellyfish is an ideal diet food because it is low in fat, cholesterol and calories.

Bob Durrell
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 06:29 PM

Wait...........I think I woke up next to her a feww weeks ago...

Eat her..........oh hell no!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.